Your Propeller of Choice?

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
jarhead0863
Airman Basic

Your Propeller of Choice?

Post by jarhead0863 »

Hello everyone,

Today is certainly a good day as the Spit was released. I have never been so quick with using my credit card to buy something before, but it was well worth the money.

I'm sure most of you have been trying the different variants of aircraft along with the different props. I was wondering what your propeller or choice is and why?

I've been using the MkI so far with the fixed pitch prop, but I might start using the 2 pitch prop now. Just trying to weigh out the advantages and disadvantages. I was impressed to see that having the constant speed prop is 400lbs more than having a fixed pitch.

Happy Flying!

Tigerclaw
Technical Sergeant

Re: Your Propeller of Choice?

Post by Tigerclaw »

I'm lazy, so I prefer the constant speed prop. I like to watch the RPM's go back to where you set them, after you increase or decrease the throttle, it's cool. Plus the take off runs are shorter, and I love short fields.
Tony (That's all your getting, like it or lump it)

MSFS i7-7700 Kaby Lake CPU @ 3.60 GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Cores (Liquid cooled) Gigabyte B250M-DS3H-CF M/Board 32 Gig DDR4 Ram Nvidia GTX 1080ti 11GB GDDR 5 Win 10 Home Acer Predator XB271HU.

Bleddyn
Senior Airman

Post by Bleddyn »

I am just taking it nice and slow. When I feel 100% used to the Mk.I fixed pitch I will move on to the variable, then to the Mk.II and constant speed. As I have said elsewhere, unless A2A releases a Lancaster I don't think I am going to be flying anything else for a long, long time. I may as well take my time and progress as the plane progressed.
ImageImage

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Don't forget how a fixed pitch wooden prop is simple and light weight (83lbs vs 500lbs for the Rotol).

What is also very nice about the constant speed is not just being able to hold a high RPM, but getting the RPM way down low on long range flights for max economy.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Call me a nutter, but I really like the way the Spitfire looks with the Weybridge two-bladed prop with the wind blown canopy on a MK1a. If has a very nice old and authentic look that you simply don't get from the other Spitfire marks.

When I am in the Spitty, I tend to fly this variant the most.
ImageImage
ImageImage

alexf
Senior Airman

Post by alexf »

I started with the MkI and the wooden prop. Same as the others, when I feel I'm ready and outgrown this variant will then try the next prop and so on.

I mapped the gear pump handle to the throttle quadrant so I don't mind that either.

Learning to cope with this beast. Wonderful plane.
Alex

Image ImageImage

Bleddyn
Senior Airman

Post by Bleddyn »

I have tried them all now and honestly the Mk.I fixed pitch is the one that won my heart. Keep in mind that most of my PC flying in the last 2 years has been on Rise of Flight's biplanes. A fixed pitch is very much what I am used to, and it does what I expect it to lol.
ImageImage

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

I love the Watts FP Airscrew for cruising...and flat top canopy...classic stuff.

But my favourite for "work" is the DeH 20 PCP Airscrew, higher work load than the Rotol but more satisfying.
If you get her right she will also take you slightly faster than a Rotol mk II.

With a fine touch on the "two speed" control, she becomes a great CSU....but with the Pilot as the actual Constant Speed Unit. Flexibility at a cost....

But Scott has a point, the best you will get at, say, 15,000 with a DeH and decent cruise is about 2200, so not as good on the fuel.

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

You can put me in the Weybridge 2-Bladed Prop, 87 Octane & Flat Canopy group also.

Not to sure it would be the setup of choice if I go for the RTW Spitfire trip though. :)

FAC
FAC257

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”