Experimental?

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
Delta558
Airman Basic

Experimental?

Post by Delta558 »

This aircraft is just too much fun - even managed to get her into and out of the small strip I used to glide from, without breaking anything :lol: I have one question - is it supposed to be referred to by ATC as 'Experimental'? I've tried playing around with the cfg file to get it referred to as 'Spitfire', having heard that once briefly for a traffic conflict, but the rest of the time it's been 'Experimental'. Not that it really spoils anything, just thought I'd ask in case it hadn't been picked up on.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Re: Experimental?

Post by Killratio »

The ATC refers to it that way because they are classified as such in much of the world.

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Delta558
Airman Basic

Post by Delta558 »

Okay, so being based in the UK and doing most of my flying from there, having heard it referred to as 'Spitfire' whilst a conflicting traffic movement occurred, is it possible for me to edit the .cfg file so that it is always referred to as 'Spitfire'?

Tigerclaw
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tigerclaw »

That's what I did, when I was flying the Solo Spitfire. May do the same with this one, if FSX will let me have 2 Spitfire names.
Tony (That's all your getting, like it or lump it)

MSFS i7-7700 Kaby Lake CPU @ 3.60 GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Cores (Liquid cooled) Gigabyte B250M-DS3H-CF M/Board 32 Gig DDR4 Ram Nvidia GTX 1080ti 11GB GDDR 5 Win 10 Home Acer Predator XB271HU.

Delta558
Airman Basic

Post by Delta558 »

@ Darryl,
The ATC doesn't refer to it as that because that's how it's referred to in much of the world. FSX ATC refers to it as that because of the way certain lines in the .cfg file are written - it is possible that it was intended by A2A to be called 'experimental', it is also possible that there is a mistake in the .cfg file. I'm asking which is the case here, and as someone who flies within the UK whether it is possible to correct it.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Yes, I knew exactly what you were asking mate.

The .cfg is set as such BECAUSE that's how they are referred to in most of the world!
There is no "mistake". This thing has been test flown very extensively!

I believe it is possible and easy to modify.

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

FSX's ATC won't be able to say the word 'Spitfire' but I believe you can make 'Spitfire' appear in the text transcript. As for what the voices can say, there are only a few categories to choose from. I changed my P-51's designation to 'Army' which sounds more authentic over the radio. 'Air Force' might also be possible but I'm not sure.

Example from my WoP2 P-51D Aircraft.cfg :

[fltsim.0]
title=P-51D 'Snooks'
sim=p51d
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=snooks
kb_checklists=P-51D_check
kb_reference=P-51D_ref
atc_id=472505
atc_airline=Army
atc_flight_number=505
atc_heavy=0
ui_manufacturer=WWII FIGHTERS
ui_type=P-51D Mustang
ui_variation='Snooks'
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Delta558
Airman Basic

Post by Delta558 »

Thanks for the clarification, Darryl - I'll get to playing around with the .cfg then :)

Bleddyn
Senior Airman

Post by Bleddyn »

I couldn't get them to refer to me as "Spitfire", I did get them to refer to me as "Supermarine" which is better then Experimental IMO.
ImageImage

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

No worries Delta!!

Bleddyn,

just by putting Supermarine in the .cfg?

I'll have to try that.

Darryl

Bleddyn
Senior Airman

Post by Bleddyn »

Yeah under [General] I just changed:

atc_type=EXPERIMENTAL

to

atc_type=Supermarine

Another benefit of that IMO is that it puts "Supermarine Spitfire" in your logs rather than "EXPERIMENTAL Spitfire". You can also add something to the "atc_airline=" line in there. "Air Force" will work in a default install. I am using "Warplane Heritage" 8) but I have EditVoicePack installed. That one may work in default as well though. Just be sure to assign a flight number or ATC will not state your Airline. I set mine to the letters on the side. ATC now calls me "Warplane Heritage, X-Ray Tango Whiskey type Supermarine". Sounds cool enough to me!
ImageImage

Delta558
Airman Basic

Post by Delta558 »

yup, that does it for me as well :D

As we don't have the 'Experimental' category in the UK, it just sounds odd hearing it all the time - especially with a period registration.

Bleddyn
Senior Airman

Post by Bleddyn »

I am pretty sure it would not be called "Experimental" here in Canada as well, but I am not a RL pilot so I could be mistaken.

I went looking for it myself because I was more bothered by the text entry in the logs then the ATC. No matter what they call me in any given country, I would not write "Experimental Spitfire" in my own logs ;)
ImageImage

seaniam81
Technical Sergeant

Post by seaniam81 »

Actually I believe the Spitfire based out of the Niagara Falls area is classified as Experimental. I know the owner has his Bf-109 and Hurricane as such. The reason for this is because it was the only way to get a Certificate of Airworthiness for the old war birds. I could be wrong I didn't get to see the Spitfire this year because funny enough it was getting it's prop over-hauled in Germany.

Ian P
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Ian P »

The term "Experimental" is an FAA one, to state that an aircraft is being operated on a Permit to Fly, rather than a Manufacturer's Type Certificate.

The term might be used elsewhere to describe an aircraft that has no other recognised "official" name, but because in FAA usage it refers to a set of operating criteria and restrictions, it means something much more specific in the USA. I can see why neighbouring countries and areas might use it, as the aircraft probably operate in both their and FAA controlled airspace, which would otherwise require two different callsigns to be in use, but it isn't a universal type description. In most of the world, the aircraft would be referred to as a "Supermarine Spitfire".

Anyone still got the FS9 version of Edit Voice Pack installed, to create a new phrase that we can import into FSX? ;)

Ian P.

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”