Wow! She is gorgeous!

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
alehead
Staff Sergeant

Wow! She is gorgeous!

Post by alehead »

Congratulations on the release to the A2A team... :)

Now to get my head into the manual and see why the Merlin overheats all the time... hiss....

I am a little confused by the mixture settings, as they appear to be reversed... I also have that issue with the 2 speed prop as well... as the lever on my Saitek is opposite to what I would have expected...

Not saying the settings are wrong, just that I am currently confused...

Andrew
Andrew
i9 9900K @ 4.8GHz (Der8auer delidded) on air (NH-D15), Gigabyte Aorus Master with 32 Gb RAM
Aorus Master RTX3090, Win10Pro / MSFS

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Re: Wow! She is gorgeous!

Post by CodyValkyrie »

About the mixture and two speed prop. That's just "the way it was."

The early Spitfires were famously inadequate as far as cooling was concerned. This is especially so with the landing gear in the way of the radiator flap, and further an issue with the flaps down. With that in mind, it's no wonder the plane has issues during touch and go's. That gear in the way causes a disturbance in the way the air flows into the radiator, while the flaps being down causes it to swelter and not be able to escape quite so efficiently.

When you are on the ground, get the oil temperature where it needs to be, do your runup with expedience and get her into the air. Don't hang around. You will be lucky if you get a few minutes of time on the ground, ambient temperatures depending.

In other planes you are spending all your time focused on the cylinder head temperature. In this plane it's all about your radiator temperature. Watch it closely.

According to what I learned from some of the beta testers they sometimes taught new Spitfire pilots to shut off the engine and glide her in.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Tigerclaw
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tigerclaw »

CodyValkyrie wrote: According to what I learned from some of the beta testers they sometimes taught new Spitfire pilots to shut off the engine and glide her in.
Do you mind if I learn to "fly" it first :lol: :lol:
Tony (That's all your getting, like it or lump it)

MSFS i7-7700 Kaby Lake CPU @ 3.60 GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Cores (Liquid cooled) Gigabyte B250M-DS3H-CF M/Board 32 Gig DDR4 Ram Nvidia GTX 1080ti 11GB GDDR 5 Win 10 Home Acer Predator XB271HU.

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Tigerclaw wrote:
CodyValkyrie wrote: Do you mind if I learn to "fly" it first :lol: :lol:
ROFL!

Indeed.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Delta558
Airman Basic

Post by Delta558 »

I let my engine get a bit hot earlier - didn't think to switch it off :roll: Thought to myself, "must get down quick", so I side-slipped into the circuit and watched the temps continue to rise - I can only think that it was because the airflow wasn't directly into the radiator. So yes, I caught fire on finals. Which, along with the broken wooden prop from an over-exubitant beat up, has firmly put me in my place. Time to go fly properly :!:

VulcanB2
Master Sergeant

Post by VulcanB2 »

Hi,

I found that if she starts to get a bit hot, Fly with a low power at around 160 MPH with the radiator flap fully open, and you can get the temp down to 80-90 degrees.

Be sure to set up for a short final, with the gear on the way down turning final.

I found being a bit high helped; requires a slightly lower power setting on approach, which can make a difference of a couple of minutes extra taxi on the ground.

Best regards,
Robin.
A2A/AccuSim. 'nuff said!

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”