HSSSSS.....

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
VulcanB2
Master Sergeant

Re: HSSSSS.....

Post by VulcanB2 »

I guess I may have been hard on her...the hangar boys had me fix a "Vacum Pump?"
Could that be why she was hissing at me?
If you were on the ground, she will overheat eventually regardless (unless you have a good, cool headwind).

Use as little power on the ground as you can get away with to keep the temps as low as possible. Get airborne ASAP, and keep the radiator FULL OPEN for all ground ops, and prior to landing.

Best regards,
Robin.
A2A/AccuSim. 'nuff said!

wildwally
Airman

Post by wildwally »

Looks like she's getting the best of us - I had the hsssing and steam shooting out myself.
WildWally
Intel i7 950
MSI x58 Platinum SLI
9 gb Patriot ram DDR3 Trichannel
2 - GTS250 1 gb in SLI (when able)
Windows 7 64 Ultimate
3 - 24" Acer HD Monitors
Triple Heads to go
TrackerIR

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

VulcanB2 wrote: Get airborne ASAP, and keep the radiator FULL OPEN for all ground ops, and prior to landing.
Just a small point SOP is NOT to open the radiator before landing unless you REALLY need to. It messes with the low speed handling characteristics terribly and the extra airlflow is not great due to flaps and U/C legs in the way anyhow. An increase in power is necessary because of the extra drag of the radiator and this more than cancels any benefit.

The Spitfire radiator IS tricky.

If you have temp problems, cruise around at above 5000ft with radiator open at NOT LESS than 180mph for a while before landing. This is the best, sometimes ONLY , way to cool down.

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Flyin_Ferret
Airman

Post by Flyin_Ferret »

Hey guys! I'm new to the forums, and not quite as new to A2A in general. Got started with the B-17 about a month ago, and absolutely loved it. Have the other Accu-Sims now, and am very pleased with the Spitfire! Wasn't much of a Spit fan before, but now, I can appreciate this aircraft.

I have to admit, I had high temperatures my first time in the Mk1. LOVE the sounds and the visual effects of the aircraft. They just add to the experience. Great job A2A team!

VulcanB2
Master Sergeant

Post by VulcanB2 »

Just a small point SOP is NOT to open the radiator before landing unless you REALLY need to.
My bad - I thought it said to open on an extended downwind. It says "open to the triangle". That's what excitement does for you! :oops:

Best regards,
Robin.
A2A/AccuSim. 'nuff said!

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

No worries Robin...she is exciting.

Some of the handling IS counter intuitive but everyone will get there. But she is one that has to be flown by the "book" that is for sure.

Actually with Dudly's permission I might hijack his thread with a "Radiator Tutorial" tomorrow,

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Bleddyn
Senior Airman

Post by Bleddyn »

I thought I had done something real bad on my last flight. I was at about 8000 ft thinking "engine sounds great, power is responsive.. I think I have the hang of this" then I look at an outside view.. thick ugly black/blue smoke pouring out of my exhausts. Oh s**T!! I was over a small grass field and was able to get it down in one piece. Go to maintenance and... nothing is wrong.

I later discovered that if you accidentally press "I" on your keyboard, that thick, nasty looking smoke is the smoke-switch effect on this plane :oops:
ImageImage

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Bleddyn wrote:I later discovered that if you accidentally press "I" on your keyboard, that thick, nasty looking smoke is the smoke-switch effect on this plane :oops:

:D :D :D :D

Done it myself mate!!!
:oops:

Elington
Senior Airman

Post by Elington »

Hum hum :oops: :D

Will try not to do it again!

Happy flying,
David

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

David...SNOW plus boiled Spitfire???? Oh dear!! 8) :P :P :lol: 8)

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”