Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
Itkovian
Staff Sergeant

Re: Flying tips and advice available if needed

Post by Itkovian »

Killratio wrote:
MTFDarkEagle wrote:Wow +4psi!
And autolean.. Try a lower power, and rich fuel.
Vic
Lukas is dead right. Anytime ANYTHING looks off in teh Spitfire..go to the manual and look at the operating limitations. You were flying with nearly TWICE the boost allowable (+ 2 1/4) with autolean...heating problem solved.
Where does it say this, exactly?

Is there somewhere in the manual where all the operating limitations are listed, or is it spread throughout the manual? Either way, couldn't find the +2 1/4 boost with autolean limit.

Also, I suppose we don't have any idea of the combat limitations that would be in use? With 5 minutes WEP, I can't think of any way to keep it on so long without boiling glycol (even 30 seconds of it seems to be enough).

Itkovian

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Post by Caldemeyn »

Scott.

Thanks for a quick reply, turns out it was really manifold pressure limiter, when i adjusted the throttle fully forward , for seconds i has manifold pressure at 15+ and it came back to more reasonable number, limiting my rpm in the process :) thx

Another question, is the spitfire really so agile? i mean on speeds 250+ knots it can turn almost like an ufo :D when i pull back on the stick all the way, hardening of elevator happens really late, on 300 knots or so
Last edited by Caldemeyn on 01 Feb 2011, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.

polluxware
Staff Sergeant

Post by polluxware »

what is lowest temperature where the spit can even fly? (pmdg md-11 is around -47C because of the fuel)

in this matter?

in real life, a merlinIII (spit mkIa) motor how long could work before complete overhaul?

i mean..... im using it very carefully but, after 10hours my compression levels are 52-55...

(surely not a toyota engine;)

Tigerclaw
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tigerclaw »

Okay I just found out why the temps in the MK II are so different to the MK I. The MK I uses 100% glycol, and the MK II uses 70/30% water/glycol solution. I've already seen a post stating that glycol boiling points are higher than water/glycol. What I'm missing is why the MK II won't stay at lower temps when run at the same numbers as the MK I.

I can fly the MK I at say 5000 feet, 1800rpm at 180-200mph, boost around the zero on the gauge. The temps are just under 100c. Oh I'm using the 2 pitch prop, and OAT was 17c. In the MK IIb, using the Rotol prop, and with the same numbers, I can't keep the temps below 120c and so far have trashed two engines.

I'm keeping my speed up above 180, and nearer 200 where I can. I'm keeping my rpm's down as low as those speeds will allow, and I'm getting two different results. I've read everythin' I have available, but I still don't understand why. Can any of you Spit pilots help me out please? Why is it so much more difficult to bring those temps down in the MK II?
Tony (That's all your getting, like it or lump it)

MSFS i7-7700 Kaby Lake CPU @ 3.60 GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Cores (Liquid cooled) Gigabyte B250M-DS3H-CF M/Board 32 Gig DDR4 Ram Nvidia GTX 1080ti 11GB GDDR 5 Win 10 Home Acer Predator XB271HU.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Tiger Claw,

In the Mk II you have a beefier engine pulling a much heavier aircraft at a slightly lower speed than the Mk I. As the cooling arrangements are basically the same, this means more heat is generated and she is slightly harder to keep cool.

regards

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Tigerclaw
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tigerclaw »

So I need to go faster in the MK II, or of course higher where the air is colder?

MSFS i7-7700 Kaby Lake CPU @ 3.60 GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Cores (Liquid cooled) Gigabyte B250M-DS3H-CF M/Board 32 Gig DDR4 Ram Nvidia GTX 1080ti 11GB GDDR 5 Win 10 Home Acer Predator XB271HU.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Tigerclaw wrote:So I need to go faster in the MK II, or of course higher where the air is colder?

Tony

Not HAVE to but it is a better idea. The II was born out of the need to improve performance at altitude, therefore is better at altitude. Later when the fighting went low again on many occassions, the low level engines were developed.

Of course flying faster is always a nice option in the Spitfire.

Darryl
Last edited by Killratio on 01 Feb 2011, 20:50, edited 1 time in total.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

polluxware wrote:what is lowest temperature where the spit can even fly? (pmdg md-11 is around -47C because of the fuel)

in this matter?

in real life, a merlinIII (spit mkIa) motor how long could work before complete overhaul?

i mean..... im using it very carefully but, after 10hours my compression levels are 52-55...

(surely not a toyota engine;)
Hi Mate,

Lowest I have started her is -15 -18, at some stage you will have problems with fuel and oil freezing but not sure "where".

The RAF did a major service at 30hours (remember engine life was about 100) and the daily inspection and maintenance notes allowed corrective action whenever needed.

At 10 hours of high power flying, you are about 1/2 way through your engine life! If you haven't done maintenance on teh cylinders, yes, they will lose compression.

I haven't tried to see how low I could get the compression andstill fly yet...might be fun.

Darryl

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Something to point out that hasn't been discussed. When a new engine is installed in the aircraft, there is a minor "wear in" period. This will allow slightly better oil flow, less friction and heat, and the compression tests will drop slightly as a result. This is NOT necessarily a bad thing.

I am an avid firearms owner. Often times, before a firearm starts acting predictably you have to put a couple hundred rounds through it first, to wear the new parts in. The Merlin can somewhat act in the same way, although over a shorter period of time. After a couple of flights I think you will find she will settle into her skin a bit more, unless you are pushing her hard.
ImageImage
ImageImage

polluxware
Staff Sergeant

Post by polluxware »

Hi Mate,

Lowest I have started her is -15 -18, at some stage you will have problems with fuel and oil freezing but not sure "where".

The RAF did a major service at 30hours (remember engine life was about 100) and the daily inspection and maintenance notes allowed corrective action whenever needed.

At 10 hours of high power flying, you are about 1/2 way through your engine life! If you haven't done maintenance on teh cylinders, yes, they will lose compression.

I haven't tried to see how low I could get the compression andstill fly yet...might be fun.

Darryl[/quote]

Thanks!

the main bearings on the merlinIII are half-separated or full housed ball bearings type? asking just for the maintance... i mean, that only the lower "deck" needs to be separate and you can lower the main rod with the pistons then change them?

polluxware
Staff Sergeant

Post by polluxware »

CodyValkyrie wrote:Something to point out that hasn't been discussed. When a new engine is installed in the aircraft, there is a minor "wear in" period. This will allow slightly better oil flow, less friction and heat, and the compression tests will drop slightly as a result. This is NOT necessarily a bad thing.

I am an avid firearms owner. Often times, before a firearm starts acting predictably you have to put a couple hundred rounds through it first, to wear the new parts in. The Merlin can somewhat act in the same way, although over a shorter period of time. After a couple of flights I think you will find she will settle into her skin a bit more, unless you are pushing her hard.
it's like when you buy a new outboard engine and you must first run it at lower spec to get the parts "to be slide friendly"

it's ok.. understand

but my merlin is losing compression in constant way.... like a lollypop;)

IF you say (what Dudly sad that 30hrs overhauls) it'a pretty realistic, fine for me

the first time i really missed the 300hrs(fast wear)/1200hrs (real wear) options...... then later i got it why is missing :lol:

it's so cool, to finaly know what was the early merlins really are...

thanks!

Tigerclaw
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tigerclaw »

Thanks Darryl. I've read the same section of the manual 4 times now, I still don't think it's sunk in :lol:

Times must have been really hard back then, I can't comprehend 100 hour engine life, at 5 hours a day that's less than 2 weeks and the engine needed overhauling. No wonder I'm having so much trouble. I think I need my 12 week training, or maybe more :lol: :lol:

Oh and Scott, stop selling me crappy pistons. Or maybe it's the block, as No.10 piston is the one that keeps blowing. Do you think I got a "Friday afternoon" engine maybe :lol:

Note to self: Tear up the skies, go faster, must go faster :twisted:

Nyxx
Airman

Post by Nyxx »

Tony,
I only fly the MKII "ES" at the moment and did a 100 mile flight last night, temps are fine for me, I was cruising around 2500 RPM high I know but boost at 0 or below, 200 MPH. Fine for that flight.

Tigerclaw
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tigerclaw »

2500 RPM? Blimey, I'm too scared to go above 1800 cos of the heat it develops :lol: I think I need to fly higher, where it's colder, but I can't see the beautiful scenery from there :lol:

Mmmm, look at scenery, or keep engines in good condition :? I'll think on it :lol:

Thanks for the info though, I'll bare it in mind.

q3ark
Senior Airman

Post by q3ark »

Tigerclaw wrote: Mmmm, look at scenery, or keep engines in good condition :? I'll think on it :lol:

Thanks for the info though, I'll bare it in mind.
I'd stay low and look at the scenery and keep a stock of extra piston rings and coolant :D
ImageImage

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”