Manuals

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
lawdawg
Senior Airman

Re: Spitfire Pilot's and Accu-Sim manuals

Post by lawdawg »

Thank you very much for cutting the manuals loose.
Excellent information and a joy to read.
Chad (PAEN)

alexf
Senior Airman

Post by alexf »

Downloaded. Thanks for posting these early!

Note a few typos on first reading. Maybe there's time to fix before release :D

Accusim Manual:

in the About This Manual section:
"...uses colo,rful illustrations to teach the basics.,,"

Page 3
"Airflow, density and it's temperature not only affect the way your aircraft flies, but how the internal systems operate."
Should be "its"

Page 30:
"load manger"
should be "load manager"

Page 35:
"...and most sophisticated version of version of Accu-Sim..."

Page 36:
"...and it does not reach it's full capacity until about 1,800 RPM..."
should be: "its"

Page 37:
"Each gauges has mechanics that allow it to work."
should read: "Each gauge has a mechanism that allows it to work."

Page 50:
"...is determined simply by dividing the aircraft's power by it's weight..."

"...Look below, and you can see how the Spitfire with about 65% the..."
should be "Look left" due to the positioning of the image.

"...the larger P47, has a much higher acceleration due to it's low weight..."

Page 51:
"...While this is all very good, it put that much more distance..."
should be: "puts"

"...to hold onto it's cold temperatures..."

Page 52:
"They don't make the landing gear any more rugged than they have too"
should be: "have to"

Page 53:
"This is why it is so exciting, as pilot's ourselves..."
no apostrophe, it's a plural.
Hope this helps!
Alex

Image ImageImage

q3ark
Senior Airman

Post by q3ark »

Just finished reading the accusim manual. Thanks for releasing them early, a really good read. I really enjoyed the last paragraph on page 72 and your tribute to RJ Mitchell on page 73 the man truly was a genius. So heres to RJ Mitchell and to the brave pilots that flew his creation and defended my home island, and here's to all the staff at A2A Simulations for even daring to reproduce such an iconic aircraft in such detail.
ImageImage

VulcanB2
Master Sergeant

Post by VulcanB2 »

I'm afraid I'll be hospitalized with all this drooling and unable to fly!! :|

For the sake of my health (and everyone else, I'm sure), you know what to do. ;) :D :D

Best regards,
Robin.
A2A/AccuSim. 'nuff said!

VulcanB2
Master Sergeant

Post by VulcanB2 »

q3ark wrote:Just finished reading the accusim manual. Thanks for releasing them early, a really good read. I really enjoyed the last paragraph on page 72 and your tribute to RJ Mitchell on page 73 the man truly was a genius. So heres to RJ Mitchell and to the brave pilots that flew his creation and defended my home island, and here's to all the staff at A2A Simulations for even daring to reproduce such an iconic aircraft in such detail.
Amen! 8) 8) 8) 8)

Best regards,
Robin.
A2A/AccuSim. 'nuff said!

Ian Warren
Senior Master Sergeant
Location: EX- Christchurch now called "Wobblyville" New Zealand

Post by Ian Warren »

Going to interesting to compare with writings and notes i have here , much looking forward to this spitty 8)

killerwatt
BDG

Post by killerwatt »

Hi Guys, Some of you may be interested in a .pdf copy of the Air Ministry's Pilots notes for the MkIIa and MkIIb Merlin XII Spitfire, so here is a link for you all : http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/Image ... Manual.pdf Mods feel free to delete if this post is unacceptable.
"He's talking about our mess bills - Sqn Ldr Brian Lane 19(F)Sqn RAF (Having heard Churchill's 'Never in the field' speech)"

Radeon HD 4870 Vapor-X 2GB, Asus P6T, Intel Core i7-920, 3GB DDR3 Memory 1600MHz Windows XP Home Edition.

Nico081
Staff Sergeant

Post by Nico081 »

Hey,

thanks alot for this pdf. manual, it ist very clear!
P3D v3.2
Addons: FSG2010, REX4 Direct+Soft Clouds, Hifi ASN, PMDG, Dodosim, A2A accusim all, Katana4X, Majestic, ORBX, Fly Tampa, DRZEWIECKI DESIGN, FSDreamteam, Flight Beam,..,..

Bochumer
Airman First Class

Post by Bochumer »

I did some research to get one of those historical manuals A2A refer to in their FSX adapted PDF-manual.

I found these books and odered them (each under 10 Euro):

"The Spitfire Pocket Manual: All Marks in Service 1939-1945"
Martin Robson

"Spitfire Manual 1940"
Dilip Sarkar

"Spitfire"
Ron Dick

The last one contains several photos, it seems to be less technical.

If you have access and knowledge of german language, you should get a copy of "Klassiker der Luftfahrt" edition 02/2011. One of the authors got a ride in a two seater Spitfire and shares extensive impressions from his flight. He refers to the handling and there are some statements that made me smile. it sounds like reading a review of the A2A Spit...
"What a pity, in a way, that an aeroplane that can impart such a glorious feeling of sheer joy and beauty has got to be used to fight somebody", Geoffrey Wellum in "First Light"

Intel I7-2600K OC @ 4,5 Ghz; 8 Gb RAM; nVidia570

killerwatt
BDG

Post by killerwatt »

I already own "The Spitfire Pocket Manual: All Marks in Service 1939-1945" by Martin Robson and "Spitfire Manual 1940" by
Dilip Sarkar. They are very good, But if you want the best reference book of all for the Spitfire you should obtain " Spitfire The History" by Eric B Morgan and Edward Shacklady. Its a really invaluable piece of work.
"He's talking about our mess bills - Sqn Ldr Brian Lane 19(F)Sqn RAF (Having heard Churchill's 'Never in the field' speech)"

Radeon HD 4870 Vapor-X 2GB, Asus P6T, Intel Core i7-920, 3GB DDR3 Memory 1600MHz Windows XP Home Edition.

Bochumer
Airman First Class

Post by Bochumer »

killerwatt wrote:But if you want the best reference book of all for the Spitfire you should obtain " Spitfire The History" by Eric B Morgan and Edward Shacklady. Its a really invaluable piece of work.
:shock:
Wow... 69 to 89 euro for used versions, new editions not available any more (Amazon)!

Reading the description this book appears to be with special regard to the historical aspects. I will keep this one in my mind, I have got some pages to read now...

If you have a look at ebay, you will find a seller called airmailbyairmail from Australia. This seller offers several e-books with technical historical content, in this case there are original plans of the plane (80 euro) and of the Merlin engine (20 euro) available.
"What a pity, in a way, that an aeroplane that can impart such a glorious feeling of sheer joy and beauty has got to be used to fight somebody", Geoffrey Wellum in "First Light"

klem
Airman First Class

Post by klem »

Page 31. I believe the limiting speeds for Gear and Flaps are the wrong way round?

(posted under Tech Support but may have ben missed)

klem

Mitchell - A2A
Aviation Writer and Pilot

Post by Mitchell - A2A »

Klem,

The maximum speed for lowering the Spitfire's undercarriage is 160 m.p.h., and is correctly stated in the Accusim Manual at P.31. However, you are correct, and the Accusim Manual is incorrect about the maximum speed for lowering the flaps. The correct speed is 140 m.p.h. I guess that with everything going on, it just slipped by us. We'll correct it as soon as we can.

I suggest the use of the Pilot's Notes as the primary source of information for flying and operating the Spitfire as an aircraft, and the Accusim Manual for more generic technical information and computer related items.

Mitchell

Bochumer
Airman First Class

Post by Bochumer »

killerwatt wrote: But if you want the best reference book of all for the Spitfire you should obtain " Spitfire The History" by Eric B Morgan and Edward Shacklady. Its a really invaluable piece of work.
This book is not available any more. I took one of the last chances and ordered a used version of the second edition 2000 in "very good" condition at Amazon. 153 Euro. I must be such a freak or fool - most probably both... but I am looking forward to this kind of Spitfire bible.

NickD
Airman First Class

Post by NickD »

Not sure if this post is allowed, (please free to PM me A2A, if I've done something wrong) but earlier this week I bought a facimile copy of AP1565B 'Spitfire IIA and IIB Pilots Notes' from http://www.crecy.co.uk It arrived yesterday, certainly got the feel of 1940s official printing, hell, its better than the APs I used in the 1970/80's come to think of it!

Anyway, I decided to post the info because trawling through the web looking for an electronic version of the Pilots Notes I was suddenly greeted with a website which said something like I had loads of viruses and if I sent them £80 would get rid of them...yeah, right like I'm going to fall for that one. Unfortunately I didn't catch which site it was, but it was def as a result of Googling AP1565B Pilots Notes - so beware people. They also have Pilots Notes for B-17 as well, but not in stock...they're awaiting a reprint.
Regards,

Nick

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”