Spitfire K9817 Build

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Re: Spitfire I PR Conversion ... Sim Cockpit ... Almost ther

Post by Killratio »

No photos...but $150 worth of period design bolts, nuts and screws on the way for the Throttle, instrument Panel and sundry other bits.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Neato, you gonna have padding or fake pack for the seat?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Neither mate, full real kit! (with one slight cheat below) ...unfortunately the parachute is post war, so brown straps not white and black box not silver..but apart from that identical in form and function to the wartime seat 'chute...and JUST as bloody uncomfortable!

The C Type helmet is fully wired and functional (as is the B Type I have for when I feel like going right back to 1940 and the D Type I use in summer when it is too hot here to wear the European helmets!

The Parachute with K Type Dinghy pack .. the dinghy introduced New Year's Day 1942 ... before that a padded cushion was often used on the top of the Parachute in the same place as the Dinghy here....I've cheated and have a cushion in the Dinghy Pack but it is still damned uncomfortable after a short time and with an inflation CO2 bottle installed it is, actually, more awkward and less comfortable than the standard "parachute cushion", which I may try to buy at some stage.

The Mae West is a 1941 but I also have a 1932 Pattern which is the Battle of Britain type.

The gear can be set up as late Battle of Britain / October 1940 which is when K9817 went to PRU..(B Helmet, D mask with type 20 Microphone, Mk II or Mk IV goggles, 32 Mae West and just the parachute, White Kidd Gloves and a Prestige Suit ) ; or Desert 1942 (41 Mae West, Parachute, K Pack, D Helmet with Type E mask, Mk VII Goggles and Battledress) 0 or late war (Type C Helmet, H mask, Mk VIII goggles, Parachute, K pack, '41 Mae West, 41 pattern gauntllets and Battledress.) I need to track down some khaki battledress trouses at some stage.

Add to all that the original WW2 Sutton Harness in the sim and you have all the trappings.

I also found some pictures of the throttle Undercarriage Horn and Cancel button unit for the throttle that I converted to working from Tony's beautiful solid resin replica.

The rear silver button has since had the correct legend "PUSH" stamped onto it.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

OMG fiddle sticks amazing! (censored) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

:wink:

Just a few brass standoffs for the throttle made on the lathe over this weekend. I also went through the delicate process of drilling and countersinking the holes for them in the throttle side plates. A very nerve racking job to get it perfectly lined up with the holes on each sideplate and sitting correctly I've also made the Throttle Top Plate guide, fitted it to the curve but I still need to cut the grooves for the throttle and mixture travels.

Next I made a wooden stand-in for the throttle lever, as Replica Aircraft Parts are supplying that. For now,

I have received all the bolts and machine screws I ordered and it was actually a great feeling to be working with the historically correct materials. I don't think it is "normal" to take great pleasure out of turning in "slot" head screws instead of "Phillips" but it WAS the most wonderful feeling. Knowing that the throttle is completely "to spec" right down to the bolts and screws, is very satisfying. I will even be getting the correct rivets and turning custom sized brass taper pins to complete the job.

I'd forgotten just how much i enjoy the "detail work"!

I'm still making up the Mixture Lever. I'll post some pics when I have made it. I should have a lot more done and pictures by the end of the coming weekend.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Picture time, with a weekend of work behind me.

Throttle body assembled as a test fit.

Back in the day, we were belted (quite literally..with a belt!) if our screws were not perfectly aligned in our work piece...apparently old habits die hard..even on a test fit :) :) :) The tradesmen who took our classes were from the generation that built these aircraft. So these little touches actually feel quite "right".

The three black markings are for the mounting lugs for the Undercarriage Horn switch units. The roman numerals in pictures further down are marked on the throttle sideplates and the standoffs which are coded together as some of the positions are slightly different sizes, distances. They are matched down to the .001" to keep the throttle sideplates square to each other.

Top plate made and fitted but still needs the grooves cut for the guides to Mixture and Throttle levers. Some further machining was required to bring the flanges down to the correct size and fit. I still have to remachine the side flanges as they are very slightly out from front side to back side due to not clamping them tightly enough the first time I levelled them. Luckily there is still about 1/16" tolerance to work with so I should be able to do that and still be within "spec".

The adjustable stop for the throttle travel made from 3 pieces of 3mm aluinium and aircraft rivetted together. I was most unhappy with the imperfections in this and rivets showing, but figured car bog may crack with the tension on the piece...so I remade it in steel:

It is a small piece and is a delicate L shape with a channel cut through the centre to accept the bolt and adjust position. In the end I decided there was no chance of clamping it and still being able to work with the milling machine collet chuck closely enough to cut it. So I cut it and formed it on the end of a 3" x 7" bar of steel I have and then sliced it off that like a bread slice. It is only one inch by 3/4 inch by 1/8 inch in size!

Next I moved on to the mounting brackets. These are deceptively simple looking...until you work out that they are bent on angles (each one slightly different!!) to mount the throttle at an angle. They are also slightly different shapes left and right of centre. Too close to be easy to tell but too far apart to ignore the difference.

So..on to my tool of absolute last resort...graph paper and my (VERY dodgy) Tech Drawing skills.

I had to do these from looking at detailed photos and a bit of mental "unfolding" as I don't have GAs for them. The first is the bottom bracket, a very wierd shape indeed for a simple triangular bracket. Rather than chance it, I cut the patterns out and actually flded them to make sure that they would work. Apart from a few minor glitches caused by material thickness, they did.

When I first put them next to the photo below, I had a heart attack, thinking they were totally wrong...then I remembered I had blown that photo up and changed the relative width/lengths, to make it fit an A3 sheet and show the biggest detail I could get..so the photo is wildly out of proportion.....the drawing is, however, 1:1...so I couldn't be THAT wrong...could I...

My panic abated when I matched them to the drawing and put them against the throttle body

You can see now, how badly the below picture is "out" but why my heart sank when I put the brackets next to it!!

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

DANG Darryl, that REALLY looks great!

Ed

If at first you do succeed, try not to look too surprised!

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Thanks Ed,

She is progressing now. I am missing the flying though!

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Guys, I will NOT be paying Photof***it US$400 for photo hosting.

I'll start posting photos again when I find an alternative.

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Darryl, I just found out about this. It will kill postings like our builds!

I also refuse to pay $400.

I'll start looking around but please share any alternatives you find.

Take care
Ed

If at first you do succeed, try not to look too surprised!

Pistonpilot
Technical Sergeant

Post by Pistonpilot »

I have had good luck using imgur.com to host stuff. While it is a "social" site, you also have the option to post images to a private gallery that will not be published to the silly popularity contest that is the primary draw for the web site. Might be a good interrim option if you wish to post images while you search for a site that better fits your needs!

-Ian C

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

DWC Alumni. Commercial Instrument Single/Multi-Engine Land. [Former] Police, Fire, & 9-1-1 Dispatcher. [Former] MAINEiac Crew Chief.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Thanks Ian,

I will look into it!

D

Yep Ed it is a bugger... I have 14 years worth of stuff on there!! I'm currently downloading it and will delete my photos then delet my account once finished.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Killratio wrote:Guys, I will NOT be paying Photof***it US$400 for photo hosting.
Hey.

I too dropped Photof***it a while back and now use Imgur instead. Haven't closed the account yet because I have pictures posted in quite a few other forums; and don't want to break the links. Had no trouble with them so far.

Steve.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Imurg seems to be the front runner in the research i have done, yes, thanks Steve and Ian!

I'll get some stuff back up ASAP. There is a lot going on here with my "quiet" time of year at work. I've got CorelDraw now and have learned to
draw some of the basic shapes needed. I can now get the drawings done and get them to Chris rather than having to waste his time drawing them!

So the mixture lever is done, as is the whole set of levers and bell cranks for the Fuelcocks. The facing plate for the fuelcocks is also done and the Primercock. Last night I made one of the two barrels that the fuel levers rivet to, along with the axle and locking rings.

D

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Guys, the job of re-establishing all of the links is just too big. Considering that photobucket already lost my links once, now this pay rubbish...and then consider that whomever I choose could just do the same next week, I'm not sure I can justify the time on widely spread forums any longer.

In the interim, whilst I decide what is next, I have started a Facebook page for the build. If you feel inclined, it is @SpitfireK9817

Cheers for all the support and encouragement and hope to find a solution soon.

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”