Spitfire K9817 Build

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Re: Spitfire I PR Conversion ... Sim Cockpit ... Almost ther

Post by Killratio »

And to round out the day, I've just snavelled this replica Oxy regulator, the older type, to replace the later one in the cockpit at the moment.

The wording is not perfect for the very early one but I may get a new plate engraved or just wear it as a repair/replacement circa 1941/2

<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Nice find, where'd you come across that then?

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Guy in the UK. It looks like he builds them from real, if later, parts and screws a new detail plate over the top of the unit.

160 quid, which is a lot better than a radioactive original for 600 or 700 quid!.

I'll still have to run the dosimeter over it but if it pings, I'll put a few coats of floor sealer varnish over it and never open it.
The photo looks like some sort of phosphor compound on the Flow gauge but the Qty looks like radium...but then it is a representative picture and not THE one. I'm hoping the flow is totally benign, because if it is I will hack it and connect a live gauge.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

oh very nice it really does look great!

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Thanks Lewis,

Not a lot of time on the weekend unfortunately.

But I did manage to get the new Spitfire I type fuelcock plate cut out and marked for the interior cuts, along with
the PrimingCock which on the One chose between Off, priming the Carb and priming the Cylinders. That worked out to be a VERY bad idea and several engine fires later, from over-primed carbs, the primingcocks were removed.

The Primingcock plate came up a treat and I got it perfectly round by rough cutting it and then using an arbor to put it in the lathe.
I haven't tried that before (and it required a soft touch) but worked well.

Both plates will be natural finish, as per the shot of them in P9374 below.

No photos, as I've had to drop them off at my mate Chris, the engraver, to get the full notation put on. As soon as I get them back, photos!!

bmbrzmn101
Staff Sergeant

Post by bmbrzmn101 »

Darryl, I have been drooling over this simpit build for a couple of weeks now. So how much would it cost shipped overseas to my door!!!! Lol. Really looking forward to seeing this complete and a video of it running.

Cheers , Chris
The voices in your head will quieten down when you begin listening to them!

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Thanks Chris,

You will really like the next stage then...I'm rebuilding in aluminium.

Cost? Well, my wife reads this board occasionally, so let's just say that IF I had the time, I could build and ship
you one for, say $25 . . . $30 tops. :) :) :) :)

Seriously, the real parts are atrociously expensive and you have to know what is radioactive and what isn't.
The flying quality replicas were also pretty pricey, the worst of which was the gunsight mount.BUT that was worth it, because
it gave me the whole shape of the upper cockpit coaming by extension.

Then there was the "meat" of the sim, the Flight Illusions functioning gauges which were merely ridiculously expensive but are first
class manufacture. It is just a pity there support is about 3rd World standard!

Basically, think of a number between 10 and 20, add three zeros, double it and you might get close.

Anyhow, stay tuned,

Darryl

bmbrzmn101
Staff Sergeant

Post by bmbrzmn101 »

Darryl, I completely understand. I build cars for fun and trying to hide the receipts from she who must not be named can be fun!! Also as an aircraft mechanic and having helped restore a couple of warbirds in the past I understand how much expense goes into parts :shock: ! I have a partial a/c fuselage in my shop that is begging for a simpit build. I just haven't decided which aircraft to model it from. It is a Cessna ag truck cockpit, so it can be a stunt double for a T6 or P47 cockpit fairly easily, I just need to get a few thousand projects completed first........SMH.

I will look for the simpit to arrive at my doorstep any day now!! Lol.

Enjoy, Chris
The voices in your head will quieten down when you begin listening to them!

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

I'd love to tinker with an old car but too many "balls in the air" at the moment, so i just settle for tracking my pocket rocket once in a while.

The AgTruck sounds like a great project, very flexible..

Anyway, i look forward to seeing your build thread start! ;)

D

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

A small bit of progress last night... an almost unknown piece of the pump puzzle. It sits on the back wall and helps hold the cock lever in place when the spiggot is engaged in either the Lower or Raise position.

A nice little piece and fun to make apart from note to self: Don't hold clock spring in hand to drill holes. No stitches but a painful lesson. Tetanus shots up to date!

Last edited by Killratio on 20 Mar 2017, 09:56, edited 1 time in total.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

And after a horror run at engraving, here is the finished product for the Primercock. Chris had nightmares with the software and the curves, so the back is now the front!! Some compromises had to be made but overall I'm very happy.

There are a couple of small marks on the natural metal finish but I am going to live with them. They won't be at all noticeable in the pit. As it was it took the night to clean off the engraving marks, backfill the lettering and spraycoat it.

I just need to add the small "L" shaped stop for the handle, which will be rivetted on. The whole lot is lacquered to maintain the finish.

In the A2A Spitfire, the primingcock is not implemented (it was removed by the date we picked), so it will need to physically complete the Ki-Gas primer electric circuit to make it work.

Because the Ki-Gas Primer itself in the sim is a magnetic influence switch and sends "prime" when OFF (primer pulled out), the wiring to implement the Primercock will be a bit tricky... as if it is "off" it will disconnect the primer and activate it in sim without moving the Ki-Gas primer itself (no good!)___and,___ if it is "ON" then the Ki-Gas primer won't send the off and you can't prime!!

I have to test but I think if I run the wires from the Primingcock rotary to splice onto the wires of the Ki-Gas, it should work. The Priming Cock switch/rotary will be wired to be "ON" when it is in the OFF position, shorting the circuit and preventing priming. When it is at "TO CYL" it will be wired OFF. The Ki-Gas mag switch will then act as normal, completing the circuit until the pump is operated, then breaking the circuit and sending the "prime" offset.

All very easy, I'm sure... I can't wait to get back to the simple, logical old F-16 wiring :) :) :)

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

No progress made for various reasons but a good score last night:

The parking brake clip...basically the Spitfire uses a small stainless steel clip to hold the brake lever so the pilot doesn't have to... the "parking brake" is that simple! Downside is the "stainless steal" part...just under $80 delivered to Australia and about an inch and a half long!

And more satisfying:

Replacing my laser engraved/cut scratch built unit:

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

I forgot..

I received the Oxy Regulator in the mail a few days ago. It has replacement dials and needles but original gauge cans ("Bakelites"?? :) )
The Dosimeter is fine with the front but shows about 5 times "background" at the rear, due to some airholes in the casing. The main "lines" have been filled. 5 times is not bad but it may mean there is still some radium dust in there...of course, the guy who made the gauges......well??

So now I have to decide whether to don protective gear and take it apart, wash it, drill the hole for a Flight Illusion gauge stepper to poke through and seal the whole lot with some liquid glass, or whether I leave well enough alone. I have to balance between safety, "want" and the actual utility of the Oxygen Height reading (when I CAN get it off the screen if I need it.)

Redglyph
Senior Airman

Post by Redglyph »

Love the "pull down for night use" on the landing gear indicator, never saw they had such a night vision-saving trick in the Spit :D
Accu-Sim: B-17G, C172, C182, Cherokee 180, Comanche 250, Civilian P-51, Spitfire MkI/II, T-6, CotS Constellation, CotS B377
System specs: Win10 x64 | CPU: i7-10770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: RTX 3070 | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Cheers mate,

Yes, it is a heavy weave cloth piece that dims the lights. Crude but effective.

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”