Spitfire K9817 Build

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Re: Accusim and the single Spitfire....

Post by Killratio »

Cheers....I spent a bit of time on the sound mixing in the "events" gear down/up, engine changes etc, as I couldn't get a good recording from the actual sim whilst running.

The next video will have the gauges as the main focus...just adding an AMPS gauge tonight which has meant taking the panel apart..oh well...
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

philip.ed
Staff Sergeant

Post by philip.ed »

That video is awesome! I used to have dreams I could do that when I was a kid :D

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Thanks Philip!

I'll probably start on the next video tonight. Not sure hwere this one will be, Narrogin or Katanning perhaps.

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hey Darryl,

Can you do a vid in day light so everything can be seen working etc.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Hey Darryl,

Can you do a vid in day light so everything can be seen working etc.

thanks,
Lewis

No problems Lewis, that is the plan for the weekend. I need to rig up my working floodlights from the garage in the computer room. I am using two cameras and have FRAPS as well. I'm hoping to have one camera permanently fixed facing the instruments and the other "free" to capture the instrument response in detail and the "handy work" operating the controls. FRAPS can then do the screen stuff hopefully. See how we go.

Darryl

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Video for Lewis should be finished tonight...it is coming together nicely.

Darryl

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

The latest video guys.....this time just the instruments and the cockpit.

It starts with a general look around, preflight check of the switches, levers etc then moves on to startup, warm up checks (the radiator temp needs to get to 60 or 70 which gives time to check the flaps, adjust the elevator trim and set the Altimeter to airfield height). Next is the preflight mag check, CSU, idle check (very important in the Spitfire, as excessive idle RPM can make it VERY difficult to land) and then, as temps are getting warm, takeoff. The video ends with gear up and set 0 boost 2400 RPM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFJHBSX9Ps0

Hope you enjoy it. Next will be a video that combines "in cockpit" and "on screen" views.

Darryl

philip.ed
Staff Sergeant

Post by philip.ed »

That is just so cool. Nice 1941 pattern gauntlets too, are they real? ;)

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

philip.ed wrote:That is just so cool. Nice 1941 pattern gauntlets too, are they real? ;)

Thanks Philip,

The '41s are repros but quite nice (but don't have the same feel and smell as Stephen's stuff!!)

They are just about a compulsory item as I have already taken two or three chunks out of the back of my hands on sharp edges in the cockpit.

I'm looking forward to making the next video to combine all the views and give a sense of the whole cockpit

cheers

Darryl

Tigerclaw
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tigerclaw »

I just watched both of your videos Darryl, very impressive.
The second one you could almost think it was real. That's one hell of a job you did on that sim pit.

The landing in the 1st vid was flawless. I've yet to get the Spit down that well, that was very nice indeed. :)
Tony (That's all your getting, like it or lump it)

MSFS i7-7700 Kaby Lake CPU @ 3.60 GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Cores (Liquid cooled) Gigabyte B250M-DS3H-CF M/Board 32 Gig DDR4 Ram Nvidia GTX 1080ti 11GB GDDR 5 Win 10 Home Acer Predator XB271HU.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Thanks mate!!! I'm glad you enjoyed it.
The Spitty is not hard to land but needs to have the speed carefully controlled and to be landed at close to stall speed.

1. Run and break ... fly straight down the strip at almost ground level, at relatively high speed...220 - 250mph. (the video was shot at 300!!)

2. Break left and up whilst chopping the throttle to about 1/4. 180 degrees nice and tight like that leaves you at about 800 - 1000ft and 180mph ... Open the canopy.

3. Adjust downwind leg to 800 feet with wingtip "on the runway" 155-160mph.

4. Abeam touch down point you should be level and at about 155-160mph .. drop gear.

5. When gear is about half way through lowering begin turn to base BUT base will be a continual curve not a normal square circuit. At this time also TRIM to a slight descent. Keeping the Spitfire IN TRIM is vital for a good landing. (of course the cockpit makes this much easier than using the keyboard.

6. By now you are at about 120mph and 500ft pointing 45 degrees off runway heading. Lower the flaps as you edge round towards the strip and look out of the left side of the cockpit. RETRIM.

8. Now at about 100ft align completely with runway and ease the nose up a little.By now you should be down to about 90mph slowing to 75- 80 "over the fence"

9. When you see the edges of the runway form a "triangle" either side of the window, chop the throttle completely, ease nose higher still and settle into a three pointer.

If you have done it right the Spitfire will sink the last 10 feet to a perfect landing every time.

That's how I do it anyway after reading everthing I could get my hands on over the years.

The A2A bird is simply the best Spitfire model I have flown and fits in most closely with the real numbers. I can't wait for the Accusim....she is just going to be brilliant.

cheers

Darryl

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

8)

Love it!
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Tigerclaw
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tigerclaw »

Incredible, you can just roll it off the tongue just like that :)

I think I've been trying to land too fast :( Will slow it down and see if I can get a good one. Thanks for the advice :)
Tony (That's all your getting, like it or lump it)

MSFS i7-7700 Kaby Lake CPU @ 3.60 GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Cores (Liquid cooled) Gigabyte B250M-DS3H-CF M/Board 32 Gig DDR4 Ram Nvidia GTX 1080ti 11GB GDDR 5 Win 10 Home Acer Predator XB271HU.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Thanks Lewis, the next one I think you will enjoy too.

Tigerclaw, cheers mate and hope it helps. That method will work for any field with a "normal" layout. I'm sure you will nail it quite quickly.

The one I am still working on is where you have tall trees or other obstructions at the end of a short runway....THOSE are murder because of the steep approach required and being almost blind at the critical moment when you go over the trees. Nail biting stuff. Plus those types of fields are often very rough and the Spitfire undercarriage is definately not built for that. I've had some "arrivals" trying that, I can tell you!!

Norforce
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Norforce »

Got to a PC in the NZ nice video Darryl

Ron
Ron
B-17 AIRFRAME 710 HRS PLUS AND CLIMBING
ImageImageImageImage

GIGABYTE X58A-UD5 MB, INTEL I7 950, 12GB DOMINATOR-GT DDR3 RAM, WIN7 64, GIGABYTE SUPER OVER CLOCK GTX 560 TI 1GB GGDDR5 1000Mz, CORSAIR 850W PS, NOCTUA NH-D14,
TRACKIR 5 & TrackClipPro

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”