Rough Running Cub

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
jda8818
Airman Basic

Rough Running Cub

Post by jda8818 »

Hello to all:

Windows 7 Pro, up to date as of Feb 26 2018, FSX Steam Edition Download, and proper operation (FSX Cub) achieved with Hotas Warthog throttle and joystick, T-Rudders & Track IR. Purchased and downloaded A2A Cub and Accu-Sim as a bundle, providing two zip files which I extracted to .exe files and installed both successfully, Airplane installed first, then the Accu-Sim package.

All was well, flew the default in-flight harbor pattern several times, got the joystick and throttle, rudders working successfully, doing some landings etc. Then I decided to assign a Hotas Throttle switch to carb heat (which is necessary in the real airplane) and from then on the engine seems to run very rough and doesn't develop any power. Periodically I get a text message in the upper left hand area of the display which indicates that 'An engine is not started, Hit Ctrl-E to start an engine' or something very similar to that. Ctrl-E does not start the engine though, I have struggled to find out what is going on without success. Same Free-Flight simple mission - beginning in the air etc. I removed the carb heat switch assignment of course but the rough running engine continues anyway. Engine seems to hardly produce any power at all (approx 1500 rpm max) and then dies if I make a successful forced landing. Cannot be restarted with Ctrl-E.

Reboot, etc, same symptom. Default FSX Cub still works properly. I'm actually training in a real J3C65 for a tailwheel endorsement to my PPL and was hoping to get some realistic practice. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance to everyone,

jda8818

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Rough Running Cub

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello jda8818 and welcome to the A2A forums.

I think the first thing to check in your case is that the "auto-mixture" tick box in the FSX realism settings isn't selected.

Thanks,
Nick

jda8818
Airman Basic

Post by jda8818 »

Thanks for your reply, Nick ...

The 'auto-mixture' check box was indeed checked in the realism category, but unchecking it simply causes the engine to die immediately and windmill at about 150 rpm rather than run rough and die on landing. It does have an affect though, which might be a clue.

Interestingly enough, only the first two Cub simulations (normal sized tires, yellow paint scheme and blue/yellow paint scheme) exhibit the rough running phenom - the other versions with large tires, floats, etc seem to run fine (up until this point). So there may be some commonality between the first two choices versus the others. I don't like to practice in the models that are performing properly because the airplane I'm flying resembles the simulations that I'm complaining about (regular sized tires; tire size affects the view from the rear seat). Anyway, I've still got the problem.

As always, any comments or suggestions will certainly be appreciated.

Thanks again for your input, Nick,

jda8818

A-26Invader
Staff Sergeant

Post by A-26Invader »

Check the maintenance hangar!
ImageImageImage

jda8818
Airman Basic

Post by jda8818 »

A-26:

I guess I need another clue ... I'm not immediately locating the maintenance Hangar. But maybe I've neglected some simple task? Drain the fuel sump? Clean the plugs? Comply with the Marvel-Schebler carburetor AD notes?

Clues, Clues ... I need clues ...

jda8818

jda8818
Airman Basic

Post by jda8818 »

Shift 7 ?? I'll try to motivate myself, get up out of this comfortable chair, and check it out.

jda8818
Airman Basic

Post by jda8818 »

THIS IS NOT A HOBBY!

jda8818
Airman Basic

Post by jda8818 »

Bingo! Engine Overhaul! (?) Case closed and thanks to all!

jda8818

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Glad you're sorted jda - thanks for letting us know. :)

Nick

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Glad to hear, check your windows start menu > A2A Simulations for the manual for your simulation. If ever in doubt though please do as you did and post here on the forums so we and the community can help or point you in the right direction for getting the most out of your fs hobby or using fs as a training aid for real life flying.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub Tech Support”