Perfect Cub in every way except Heidi unresponsive

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
sloppysmusic
Senior Airman

Perfect Cub in every way except Heidi unresponsive

Post by sloppysmusic »

Used the plane a couple of times at the end of my NZ tour. Flies like a dream, Accusim works (engine shows wear?) she is there to select and she appears in the plane and I can choose different moods (no effect).

Accusim in shift-3 is ON and mixer is turned 100%, Ive installed the sound patch Lewis posted in a previous thread.

Spent last 24 hours on and off googling every solution.

Followed install to the book.

1) Cub
2) AS
3) AS march update.

update found the Cub and installed updates from v1 to current.

So it seems Accusim itself workds fine in every way but no Heidi.

Advanced animations on.
Windows 10 Pro
FSX Steam Edition
i7-6900k GTX 1080
Creative Labs XiFi Titanium card.

Running a small studio and having spent 30 years recording audio I'm familiar with inputs/outputs in Windows. Is there some other output AccuSim needs (that I cant find in the manual) for JUST the Cub?

As Ive finished my New Zealand video tour and all is left is the Cub extras part, flights look depressing with a cold quiet H.
If I try and fly crazy she will grab the strut with her right hand but that's all I can get her to do. No sound, nothing.

Basically Im asking should I do the 'Mustang' install trick again? Delete the UPDATE folder? Seems pointless as with the Mustang it never installed AS update until I did that but it DID find and install the Cub update.
In the UPDATE folder is a file named 'client.wyc' 54kb in size. Sound normal?

As usual the whole of my FSX and A2A fleet work flawlessly in every way it's JUST Heidi...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpgU4rAwonw

Above is the first flight with her. WIll post the second in a while. At 1:54 in video above I open the door, expected a loud thunk and lot of wind noise. Is this a clue? isn't she supposed to gesticulate as well as comment?
Closing door with shift-E seemed silent too...

Second video below.
https://youtu.be/iA0o5MEeKtE

Decided to finish tour on schedule using 'silent' Heidi for consistency
So here's the last and final video...I just cut the sound and used my friend's music.

https://youtu.be/Db4nV87nYhE

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Re: Perfect Cub in every way except Heidi unresponsive

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

Yes, you can try to delete the 'client.wyc' file and run the updater once again. If this does not do the trick you may try full reinstall.
I have one question though, is your A2A Piper Cub from A2A store or from Steam store? If it is from Steam, you should not run any updates from A2A, the Steam store Cub comes fully updated.

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

creative might be the culprit here. The cub uses OpenAL, and creative since vista are known to have issues in this area, so you will want to make sure your running the latest drivers for your hardware. The Accu-sim sounds play through the system default device.

OpenAl you can try to install incase there was an error (did you restart your system after installation?)
https://openal.org/downloads/

Also try the re-update as LZ-WIL posted before my suggestions.

And let us know how you are loading the cub into the simulation, is it via saved flight or new free flight etc?
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

sloppysmusic
Senior Airman

Post by sloppysmusic »

RETEST 1 COMPLETE

Cub is from A2A store.

Plane has been selected in every way possible, solo at Free Flight or on top of other A2A, on top of default, bypassing FSX startup entirely etc.

OpenAL is installed on my system and working fine in windows as confirmed with following excellent test:

https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-487.html

System has been rebooted several times latest test failed. Can someone please answer if she gives any visual clues to her
mood as well as audio? That would confirm her mood module is working.

Am now going to completely remove and add Cub again AFTER trying to remove UPDATE folder. Reasoning for this is that openal was not installed originally , maybe your installed failed to find it so didnt initialize? (clutching at straws here as didnt see any .log errors).

Also, are there OTHER accusim sounds I should be hearing as well as Heidi? All I have noticed are the engine really. None of the creaks and groans I get in the other planes.

The following info would be very useful too from A2A: When applying latest AccuSim update does it install the COMPLETE set of AccuSim modules as if it were a fresh install OVER the original ones or ONLY the ones that have been patched and/or new ones?
I know if I DONT install Cub AS that came with purchase the updater wont work? or will it? Can we bypass the 2 stage AS process entirely by just installing the update in future? Just a thought.

Will report back after complete re-install test.

PS IT WOULD ALSO HELP MY TESTING IMMENSELY IF YOU COULD TELL ME THE FASTEST WAY TO TEST SHE IS WORKING. CAN IT BE DONE ON THE GROUND? WHAT ACTION ALWAYS GIVES A CERTAIN RESULT? I DONT KNOW OF COURSE!

sloppysmusic
Senior Airman

Post by sloppysmusic »

Removing the update and re-installing the update failed.
Am installing plane from scratch now will NOT install update just original AS first see if that works BEFORE applying update. I see in the notes she is made LESS responsive when nervous. At the moment she can scream and jump around I dont care :D

sloppysmusic
Senior Airman

Post by sloppysmusic »

Nope all tests failed. Opening the door gives NO sound effect either guess I am getting no AS sounds ONLY in this plane?

Cant see what else to do. Only thought is that I read there was a 'catatonic' mode where she is too scared to talk at all after u stress her out. Could this be locked on? Wouldnt explain no door sound though.
Problem here is that although I am a rare case with ultra modern hardware/os installed that will be the norm in a year or 2.

Is there anyone else running steam edition/store cub/win 10 pro with openal tested and working in windows that has NO accusim sounds in cub but DOES in all other planes?

Lots of people have creative cards, I am aware of their terrible modern driver support but openal is tested and working great in windows for me. Other games that use openal (Battlefield 2) worked fine for me in the past.

So ...not just Heidi but I am getting ZERO AS sounds in sim? Is that the crux of it?
Is there a debug mode where I can enter and force her to play/speak certain lines? Sure you would have used one but probably removed for release version. is it worth me trying it?

Plane is still fun, just not AS fun I was expecting. :/

Accusim itself DOES work as damage shows on and hanger notes engine usage and I have been prompted to do an overhaul after a few hours during my testing.

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

If you have AccuSim package for the Cub - install it. (the realism is far better with it) :wink:
I will suggest several things, that you may have already tried. Check if you have any saved flights (especially with the Cub) - delete them.
Under 'Shift+3' menu, check if the volume is set properly and if the AccuSim is set to 'ON'.

It is not recommended at least with the boxed FSX to change the Trike from being default aircraft as the sim starts.

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

sloppysmusic
Senior Airman

Post by sloppysmusic »

I think this thread would be better titled "Perfect Cub in every way except no AccuSim sounds"
LZ-WIL wrote:Hi,

If you have AccuSim package for the Cub - install it. (the realism is far better with it) :wink:
I will suggest several things, that you may have already tried. Check if you have any saved flights (especially with the Cub) - delete them.
Under 'Shift+3' menu, check if the volume is set properly and if the AccuSim is set to 'ON'.

It is not recommended at least with the boxed FSX to change the Trike from being default aircraft as the sim starts.

Cheerz,
Will
Thanks but yes tried all those EXCEPT load the trike first.

I always buy and install accusim, they're the only level of aircraft I want.
I only had 2 saved flights because...it didnt work and I only just purchased it couple days ago. Each time i load it I either load it up from free flight or load cessna first THEN Cub.
I will TRY the trike but cannot believe not doing that would disable sounds entirely..

shift 3 yes volume on full and accusim on.

Basically everything works but the sounds IN sim. If i had some way to trigger them manually i could see if calls were being made in the event log but not going anywhere.

thanks for ideas.

The problem is only with 'older' a2a planes.

Comanche/Cherokee/T6 flawless.. recent
but
Civilian Mustang.. Installation of accusim needs manual intervention to work then plane works perfectly otherwise accusim wont install and plane wont steer
Cub..no accusim sounds.

I had intended to and still want to buy every accusim plane, looking forward to the bigger birds eventually too. I think the older planes are going to start running into installation
issues for new customers using windows 10/steam etc as these were not around when planes were developed - lots of different hardware and drivers working in background these days

sloppysmusic
Senior Airman

Post by sloppysmusic »

RESOLVED

I fixed it wow. Went back to sound devices 101

Lewis kindly told us Cub (no other plane?) uses OpenAL.

OpenAL installed and working (globally using test app mentioned above)

Treating Steam FSX as a 'game' it would want to 'talk' to the sound card itself, via directx maybe but Im ahead of myself here.

For an older game not interfacing with W10 globally it would have to have access to 'extra' packages like the openAL used by the Cub.

As The Cub is installed WITHOUT installing OpenAL (I had to do it myself remember) it could not therefore have possibly told FSX where the OpenAL drivers WERE.

Without writing a long path entry into FSX.CFG I decided to try a simple test.

I sourced a direct link library for OpenAL from the net and found "OPENAL32.dll"

I dropped a copy in my FSX root directory (like we used to do in the DOS game times of old)

Without any expectation I loaded the Cub up and a very loud "HI" came from the speakers when I selected Heidi. Door makes load noise when opening too so I know I have AccuSim sounds back!

To prove the theory was not an accident I quit FSX at once and moved OPENAL32.dll to another directory.
Loaded up exact same save game and...NO ACCUSIM sound.
Quit and replaced the .dll file BACK in FSX root, loaded save up and sounds were back.

So I'm excited of course as I can now start my 3rd World Tour, this time Papua New Guinea. I got the Cub especially for this due to all the amazing bush strips in the TAP OrbX addon.

Would be interested to see if any BOXED users of FSX have the OPENAL32.dll file in their FSX directories?

It seems to me the OpenAL sounddriver existence either needs to be written on the product REQUIREMENTS page or , the installation taken care of in the plane install script.

TESTING SOUND DEVICES - DID YOU HEAR A SOUND?
IF YES CONTINUE
IF NO install OpenAL
IF not exists %fsx%/ openal32.dll then copy...

ok you get the picture!

I was about to fly the Mustang...this was an entirely last minute random idea I had..now I will have to wait till tomorrow or stay up late (cant wait!!).

so yes you guys can mark this thread as RESOLVED. Could you also make available a 100% virus free OPENAL32.dll for future Cub users? I had to take somewhat of a risk there!

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

I am very glad that you made a breakthrough and you have all the sounds in your Piper Cub. I am using FSX with Acceleration, there is no openal32.dll in the main folder. This file is located under \Windows\System32 in my system. There is a sound thread under general troubleshooting for the Cub, but like Lewis suggested it is quite old now and perhaps info like your should be added. :wink:

Cheerz,
Will

sloppysmusic
Senior Airman

Post by sloppysmusic »

LZ-WIL wrote:Hi,

I am very glad that you made a breakthrough and you have all the sounds in your Piper Cub. I am using FSX with Acceleration, there is no openal32.dll in the main folder. This file is located under \Windows\System32 in my system. There is a sound thread under general troubleshooting for the Cub, but like Lewis suggested it is quite old now and perhaps info like your should be added. :wink:

Cheerz,
Will
Ah yes well system 32 is a global path. I might try putting it there too. Should work the same. Thanks for reminder Will

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub Tech Support”