Piper Cub with accusim flight model problems

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Joepilot
Airman Basic

Piper Cub with accusim flight model problems

Post by Joepilot »

Hello first post on this forum, greetings to all :D

product:
I have Piper Cub with accu-sim and V1.1 patch

Problem:
The aircraft noses over on takeoff inducing a prop strike no matter how ginger I push the throttle in (4-5 seconds progressively going to full open).
Full back on stick does nothing to alleviate it.

My attempts to fix it:

first off: I have FSX steam edition
using DirectX 9 or 10 does nothing to fix it.

I do have Rex4 texture direct with soft clouds

tried reverting textures to default before rex was installed and that did not fix issue

I also do have accu-feel global FSX enhancement V.2 upgrade and tried enabling and disabling it and that did not fix issue.
Accu-feel FSX global was installed way before buying A2A Piper Cub.

tried turning off accusim in control panel, no avail still does it.

Weather Conditions:
problem happens whether windy, gusty or calm.
I always takeoff in wind.

Aircraft weight and loading:

tried pilot (170 lbs), full fuel, and oil still does it...tried all of the above and added Heidi and it still does it.

Attempts to fix it:
Did everything as stated with accu-feel v.2 and rex 4 with soft clouds.

tried uninstalling Piper cub completely and going through and removing all files associated with the cub including files saved to accufeel on this aircraft and any saved FSX flight plans.

I reinstalled in this order:
1. Piper Cub base pack
2.accu-sim addon
3.ran auto updater from May of 2016

it still does it...

it flew great and perfectly for about 11 hours flying time then it started doing this one day at random.

other related issues:
Float version does not want to take off, it wants to dive forward and down into the water and flip over if I don't close the throttle...using full back stick to try to get on the step does not work.

same thing with regular tire version also happens with the tundra tire version.
I haven't flown the ski version yet.

Other things Ive tried:
I tried looking in forum thoroughly and found one thread related to my issues

it was titled exactly Prop strike on take off:-(

in that thread someone mentioned something about corrupt saved flights and that starting a new one from scratch would fix it and it hasen't..

hardware:

intel core i5-6600k overclocked to 4.4 ghz
8 gb Adata XPG ram 2800 MHz
msi NVidia GeForce gtx 950 (installed latest drivers yesterday)
have Saitek pro rudder pedals and x-52 pro

I have fsx steam and rex 4 and piper cub installed on 1 TB HDD
windows and other core files installed on 120 gb SSD

I don't know what to do anymore I starting to give up on this thing... :( :( :( :( :(

Joepilot
Airman Basic

Re: Piper Cub with accusim flight model problems

Post by Joepilot »

additional notes:
I also have windows 10 home edition installed.
After I uninstalled the cub I deleted the fsx.cfg file and let it re generate a new one first and then went to reinstall the cub....
it did not work...

pros: awesome realism and flight model (when it works lol) love the regular wheels and floats version the best.

I often daydream of having my own Piper Cub in real life.

thanks for making a great aircraft. :D

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Have you tried flying with any other aircraft since this started? Something tells me that it is a control mapping issue, possibly with the elevator or brake axis.

Do you use FSUIPC?
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Joepilot
Airman Basic

Post by Joepilot »

I have tried flying other (including other third party) aircraft and they all function like they should. I checked and it is not a control mapping issue.

what is FSUIPC? :|

UPDATE:
started new flight from scratch, it still wanted to act up but I slewed it up in the air and let it dive and then I return to level flight and I was able to do some traffic pattern flights and able to land, shut down, tie down etc.. start it back up takeoff as normal, fly to another airport and land....

It seems using slew mode gets it out of its rut for some odd reason then it behaves as normal...weird... :roll:

well for now I saved my flight and exited the sim and will try to do everything as normal tomorrow morning. I'm tired.

Interesting note but not relevant to the issue, I was flying to my destination airport and a default AI piper Cherokee flew straight at me and almost hit me.....good thing I reacted in time and pulled up lol. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Joepilot
Airman Basic

Post by Joepilot »

Well this morning, I went to taxi to the runway as normal and it wanted to nose dive as soon as opened the throttle 1/4 of the way....all I did was slew it in the air, let it dive and then went to the airport menu and selected starting location as the parking spot I was at and it taxied like normal and even took off like normal. throttle up progressively about 4 seconds and kept stick neutral and took off on its own.

slew mode gets it out of its rut...

that's all I can do so far...

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Maybe it something with the setting of you mesh inside FSX. This was addressed not to long ago, I'll have a look when I get back to my PC after work
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Very strange... I have not been able to replicate this behavior.

Are you holding brakes at all when applying power? Make sure that the brakes are released.
When you apply power, do you do it gradually over a 5 count?
Do you hold stick full back until applying full power and then relax it to neutral?

That's about it for the J-3.

Also try loading the sim with one of the FSX stock aircraft such as the ultralight or the 172 and then use the menu to switch to the J-3 once on the field. Starting the sim with advanced add-on aircraft sometimes leads to odd behaviors due to the way the simulation engine doesn't handle cleaning up variables.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Could be a strange default flight issue, but also if you have reinstalled you will need to remove the update folder for the cub and then re-run the updater to correctly update.

As Oracle noted you will want to load up a default aircraft first and then switch to the cub and the cub should never be used a default flight aircraft.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Joepilot
Airman Basic

Post by Joepilot »

Mesh setting?...like as in Terrain Mesh Complexity? or terrain mesh resolution?
I did recently change the mesh complexity settings to 90 and terrain mesh resolution to 1m...hmmm

I have tried that trick with holding stick full back and progressively going to full throttle and then letting stick go to neutral gradually...doesn't work.
brakes are fully released. :lol:

Also, the saved flight for the cub I have is not a default flight...but I do usually load that up first thing when want to fly the cub. :wink:

but I will try loading a flight with a default aircraft and then switching to the cub and see if that works.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

I would check that you don't have a joystick assignment conflicting, where throttle is feeding in down elevator...stranger things have happened...it usually happens with rudders and mixture on my system after a reinstall..ie the mixture axis gets duel assigned as rudder as well.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Joepilot wrote:Mesh setting?...like as in Terrain Mesh Complexity? or terrain mesh resolution?
I did recently change the mesh complexity settings to 90 and terrain mesh resolution to 1m...hmmm

I have tried that trick with holding stick full back and progressively going to full throttle and then letting stick go to neutral gradually...doesn't work.
brakes are fully released. :lol:

Also, the saved flight for the cub I have is not a default flight...but I do usually load that up first thing when want to fly the cub. :wink:

but I will try loading a flight with a default aircraft and then switching to the cub and see if that works.
Just a shot in the dark but sometimes the keyboard key for the parking brake can get stuck in the on position. I'd check that just to be sure.
DH

Joepilot
Airman Basic

Post by Joepilot »

no its not the brakes for sure. :lol:

what about the terrain mesh?

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Joe - I suggest you try unplugging your rudder pedals and try a take-off without them just to rule out any issues with noise from the toe brake axes. You may have to tick "auto-rudder" in the realism settings to maintain directional control while testing like this.

If this doesn't work, any chance you could capture some video of the issue? You should be able to do this with the free NVIDIA experience software.

Cheers,
Nick

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub Tech Support”