My J-3 Cub, is pulling to the left slightly.

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
RolandBP
Airman

My J-3 Cub, is pulling to the left slightly.

Post by RolandBP »

Hi I am flying the J-3 with a Logitech Wingman Force 3D joystick with the force feedback turned on. Once I am up and cruising, I like to leave the controls alone, but I find the cub keeps pulling to the left. Is this normal? My weather settings are scattered cloud and calm. Is there a rudder trim setting I could or should use.

One other thing, my pilot does not put on sunglasses when in "ON" or "OFF", whereas Heidi does.

Oh, one other thing I have not worked out, is how to move around the aircraft to do checks.

Cheers, Roland.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: My J-3 Cub, is pulling to the left slightly.

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Hi Roland,

First things first. Did you also get the Accusim addon when you got the Cub or "just" the base aircraft? If you got the Accusim addon did you run the latest updater? I think that might be the solution to the sunglass issue. Also the pilot won't put the sunglasses on during dusk, night or dawn. And if I remember correctly also when the aircraft is parked.

For the checks. There is no walkaround feature in the Cub since the Cub is a rather old A2A plane. The walkarounds have been introduced with the C172. So you can't really do any checks except check for oil and fuel in the shift+4 menu and check for the engine condition in the maintenace hangar shift+7.

As for the pulling. There is no rudder or aileron trim. The Cub is as basic as aircraft can get (except gliders maybe :wink: ). It depends on how strong it pulls to the left. If it's only a slight pull then it's normal from the engine torque.

Hope this helps
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

frangarcia
Airman

Post by frangarcia »

RolandBP wrote:Hi I am flying the J-3 with a Logitech Wingman Force 3D joystick with the force feedback turned on. Once I am up and cruising, I like to leave the controls alone, but I find the cub keeps pulling to the left...
Hi Roland.

Maybe the potentiometer in the joystick is getting a little worn out or dirty. Have you checked the joystick settings from the control panel of windows? You know, that screen where you can see the position of the levers, the center point of the joystick and so on. Do you have the same behavior with other airplanes? I also have the Cub and never noticed it to pull to the left on the air.

In case your potentiometer is failing, you could try to clean it, but I think it's very complicated and you could ruin it. Perhaps you can also try to compensate this deviation with the settings of FSUIPC.

RolandBP
Airman

Post by RolandBP »

frangarcia wrote:
RolandBP wrote:Hi I am flying the J-3 with a Logitech Wingman Force 3D joystick with the force feedback turned on. Once I am up and cruising, I like to leave the controls alone, but I find the cub keeps pulling to the left...
Hi Roland.

Maybe the potentiometer in the joystick is getting a little worn out or dirty. Have you checked the joystick settings from the control panel of windows? You know, that screen where you can see the position of the levers, the center point of the joystick and so on. Do you have the same behavior with other airplanes? I also have the Cub and never noticed it to pull to the left on the air.

In case your potentiometer is failing, you could try to clean it, but I think it's very complicated and you could ruin it. Perhaps you can also try to compensate this deviation with the settings of FSUIPC.
Many thanks for your reply, I have done the Joystick settings you mentioned, I noticed last night, that I had too much "Nose-up" and when I re-set that back down to nearer center, I found it pulled a little to the right. The other thing I have thought I would try was to add a small amount of "Null" to the rudder zone.
I haven't recently checked the "pulling to the left" with other planes recently, but often I fly with the FSX Auto-pilot and centre the straight flight with the appropriate auto settings.
Not too keen on pulling the joystick apart to clean it, in case I make it worse :wink:
This FSUIPC program sound interesting, I have seen it mentioned several times. I must at least take a look at it.
I am really enjoying this little aircraft.
Thanks again. Roland.

RolandBP
Airman

Post by RolandBP »

Piper_EEWL wrote:Hi Roland,

First things first. Did you also get the Accusim addon when you got the Cub or "just" the base aircraft? If you got the Accusim addon did you run the latest updater? I think that might be the solution to the sunglass issue. Also the pilot won't put the sunglasses on during dusk, night or dawn. And if I remember correctly also when the aircraft is parked.

For the checks. There is no walkaround feature in the Cub since the Cub is a rather old A2A plane. The walkarounds have been introduced with the C172. So you can't really do any checks except check for oil and fuel in the shift+4 menu and check for the engine condition in the maintenace hangar shift+7.

As for the pulling. There is no rudder or aileron trim. The Cub is as basic as aircraft can get (except gliders maybe :wink: ). It depends on how strong it pulls to the left. If it's only a slight pull then it's normal from the engine torque.

Hope this helps
Hi, thanks for your reply. Firstly, I purchased the package deal, which gave me the awesome "accu-sim addon", only about 2-weeks ago {Oct 29th} would I still need to run the updater?
I was flying the plane on Daylight settings and Heidi was putting her sunglasses on. Maybe I should re-download the file or am I better to run the updater you mentioned?
Thanks for the info on the walk-around, I probably got that idea after watching the video clips on the other 4 {domestic?} planes. I must buy one of the 4 shortly, as I love this accu-sim set-up. Originally I bought the "B 17" several years ago and found it totally amazing. I also purchased the "General Accu-sim" for all other FSX planes.
Well I must look for the updater file and see if that sorts out the "Sunny's" :wink:
Cheers, Roland.

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by speedy70 »

Hi Roland.
Yes indeed you would need to run the updater.

As far as expecting the aircraft to fly "hands off" that is a no no.

A2A strive for realism,would you get into a real cub and fly it hands off!!!!!

No aircraft can be flown hands off safely.

Welcome to the world of A2A.

Here is the link to the updater.

http://www.a2asimulations.com/downloads ... _09_16.zip

Cheers Chris

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

The real J-3 is most definitely absolutely positively

NOT

A hands off airplane!

It's not even a foots off airplane. :)
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

RolandBP
Airman

Post by RolandBP »

Oracle427

Post subject: Re: My J-3 Cub, is pulling to the left slightly.

"The real J-3 is most definitely absolutely positively

NOT

A hands off airplane!

It's not even a foots off airplane. :) "
Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:49 pm

speedy70

Post subject: Re: My J-3 Cub, is pulling to the left slightly.

"Hi Roland.
Yes indeed you would need to run the updater.

As far as expecting the aircraft to fly "hands off" that is a no no.

A2A strive for realism,would you get into a real cub and fly it hands off!!!!!

No aircraft can be flown hands off safely.

Welcome to the world of A2A.

Here is the link to the updater.

http://www.a2asimulations.com/downloads ... _09_16.zip

Cheers Chris"
Thanks chaps, I have done the updater {2nd time} and that has sorted the sunglasses issue for the pilot. I have come to the conclusion, that I should not rely on the "hands-off" flying {except for short periods and perhaps only in good weather :wink: }

I must purchase another one of these amazing aircraft shortly, but probably after the xmas expences. Maybe the Piper 172?
Thanks again, Roland.

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub Tech Support”