piper question

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
mike4370
Senior Airman

piper question

Post by mike4370 »

I just purchased the piper and when I start a flight, the engine is already started. is that supposed to be that way?

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: piper question

Post by DHenriques_ »

mike4370 wrote:I just purchased the piper and when I start a flight, the engine is already started. is that supposed to be that way?
Open SHIFT+3 and note in the dialog box a check box for cold and dark. Check that off as auto and you should get cold and dark persistence.
DH

mike4370
Senior Airman

Post by mike4370 »

there is no "cold and dark" checkbox

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

mike4370 wrote:there is no "cold and dark" checkbox
It should be there in the middle of the drop down box at SHIFT 3. There is a box that says "Auto C&D" and right next to that another box that says Cold and Dark.

If these are not there something is wrong with the installation. Ping Lewis on this and bring his attention to the issue. He's a whiz at fixing this stuff.
My suggestion initially would be to check carefully that you have the aircraft, it's updates, and the current core update all installed in order and properly.
DH

mike4370
Senior Airman

Post by mike4370 »

im positive I installed everything you mentioned and in the correct order and there is no cold and dark in shift 3

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

By default FSX starts your flights with everything running. You can change this by changing your default flight to be cold and dark. Otherwise the engine will always be running when you load.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

mike4370
Senior Airman

Post by mike4370 »

I didn't have to do that with the C172. also I notice that it starts with a full tank of fuel every time too.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

With the C172 there's the always cold and dark option, without that though you would have to use the old method of changing the default flight to be cold and dark just as have to with 99% of aircraft including the sim defaults.

mike4370
Senior Airman

Post by mike4370 »

I have never set my 172 to always be cold and dark, even when I first purchased it, the first time I flew it, it started out with everything off and still when I got back to it, it is in the same condition I left it in. except for the mixture control knob which always starts out full rich even though I end the flight with it in the idle cut off position. but as I said before, there is no "cold and dark" option for the piper when I go to shift 3. the only thing close to that I see is "cold start". is that what you are talking about? and is there supposed to be a preflight checklist like with the 172?

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

there is no pre-flight as the C172 is the first to have this feature. For a cold start you can click cold start for it to be all cold for you to start up.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Prior to getting my A2A Cub I spent most of my time flying in my DC-3 Airways cargo DC-3 (E. K. Gann wannabe, I guess). My default flight is the DC-3 sitting at its parking place at Arlington Airport (KAWO), with the engines running. If I fire up FSX and then just change the airplane from the default DC-3 to the A2A Cub, the engine is running. No matter what I do, the engine on the Cub is always running if I get to it by simply changing the aircraft from the default startup. Looks like I have two choices:

1) Change my default DC-3 so that it comes up with the engines off. This means I have to learn how to start those two old radials. Oh shucky darns. Or,

2) Save my Cub flight under a different name (such as ATB's J-3), and then, when I load that flight, there is my Cub, just as I left her. Same day, same time, etc., as when I saved the program. I can then open up time and date menu and click on the little box that resets the time and date to current values.

Option 2 is not too bad. I flew the Cub from Arlington to Firstair Field (W16) in Monroe, WA, fueled her, topped up her oil, tied her down and put the seatbelt on the stick to lock the controls. She's still there, ready to go. Maybe for our next flight I'll see what's shakin' up at Mears (3W5) up in Concrete, WA. Hey, somebody has to do it! Right? Glad the cockpit heater works so well. Needless to say, I am having a blast!

Seeya
ATB

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

I'd go with option #2.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub Tech Support”