Cub causing FSX to crash

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
SkipperMac
Staff Sergeant

Cub causing FSX to crash

Post by SkipperMac »

Oh dear, a couple of days ago when I last flew the Cub everything was ok, but now as soon as I try to load any A2A Cub, FSX crashes to desktop.

Preview screen is ok, opening screen is ok, but as soon as I try to 'fly now' ... CTD.
All other aircraft, including A2A 172, are fine.

Any ideas? Or what do I need to save if I resort to a reinstall?
SkipperMac
i7 2600k @ 3.5GHz | Asus P8P67Pro Mobo | 8GB DDR3 RAM | nVidia 9800GTX+ 512 MB | 2 x 500GB Samsung SpinPoint F3 HDD| Xigmatek Midgard Pure Black case | Be Quiet Dark Rock Adv CPU cooler | Windows7 64bit

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Cub causing FSX to crash

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Tracing what has changed on your system since it worked and not worked would be the first thing to track down.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

SkipperMac
Staff Sergeant

Post by SkipperMac »

Yes, I had thought about that, Lewis, but I'm pretty certain nothing has changed since Saturday. And everything else is working fine.

If I just decide to reinstall, what can I back up in order to preserve the hours I have on the Cub?
SkipperMac
i7 2600k @ 3.5GHz | Asus P8P67Pro Mobo | 8GB DDR3 RAM | nVidia 9800GTX+ 512 MB | 2 x 500GB Samsung SpinPoint F3 HDD| Xigmatek Midgard Pure Black case | Be Quiet Dark Rock Adv CPU cooler | Windows7 64bit

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

In your my docs under the A2A folder you will find the folders for your A2A aircraft which contain the .dat files. Back these up to keep your hours etc.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A

SkipperMac
Staff Sergeant

Post by SkipperMac »

Lewis, just to update you...

I uninstalled the Cub, but even with the base package installed, i.e., NO ACCUSIM, FSX still crashes as soon as I try to load the Cub. I guess there's something else going on with my system which I'll have to track down when I get a chance.

I see from the forum that I've had a problem before between the Cub and Flight 1's Soundstream (I had forgotten about that). Somehow I got around that problem before, so I'll do a bit of experimenting and see if that might be the issue again.
SkipperMac

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Sound stream can interfere with 3rd party sound engines and will cause the error you are seeing with some of our products.

thanks,
Lewis

SkipperMac
Staff Sergeant

Post by SkipperMac »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Sound stream can interfere with 3rd party sound engines and will cause the error you are seeing with some of our products.

thanks,
Lewis
Yes Lewis, that's what I was thinking, and last night I remembered Windows keeps a crash report. Lo and behold, 'Soundstream' is being blamed for the problem.

So, I've been here before. Had forgotten, but at the end of last year I had the same problem with the Cub and somehow got around it ... but can't for the life of me remember how. The strange thing is, I was flying around quite happily in the Cub with Soundstream active ... then suddenly there's a problem.

I'll try de-activating Soundstream, then re-install the Cub and see what happens.
SkipperMac

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub Tech Support”