Float won't take off with Accusim on

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Flowermilk
Airman

Float won't take off with Accusim on

Post by Flowermilk »

Censored
Last edited by Flowermilk on 04 Aug 2013, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Re: Float won't take off with Accusim on

Post by Killratio »

G'day Mate,

Accufeel and Accusim CAN co-exist..so something is a little strange there. I haven't had the Cub installed for a LONG time, so I am not certain that it has the ".dat" file in C:/Documents/A2A/cub but if so..try deleting that file and that may fix the problem by rebuilding a new Cub accusim dat.

No doubt someone more :"current" on the Cub will be along shortly

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

I can't speak about why they weren't activating together, but as far as taking off it almost sounds like you weren't on the step.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Flowermilk
Airman

Post by Flowermilk »

CodyValkyrie wrote:I can't speak about why they weren't activating together, but as far as taking off it almost sounds like you weren't on the step.
Unfortunately it really is Accusim that prevents take off. I apply full throttle and I can take off without Accu sim all the time. The issue is 100% reproducible on my system.
Actually when I turn on Accusim I can even see the plane's behavior changing without applying any throttle. It shakes a little bit and seems stuck to the water rather than floating gently with the waves when I turn it back off.
I will try what you suggest Killratio.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Are you able to get onto the step?

We modeled realistic water takeoffs so you wont be able to simply throw the throttle forward and lift off without correct procedure of getting those floats off the water.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Flowermilk
Airman

Post by Flowermilk »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Are you able to get onto the step?

We modeled realistic water takeoffs so you wont be able to simply throw the throttle forward and lift off without correct procedure of getting those floats off the water.

I try to take off from KSFF Felts water runway 3. I never can get onto the step because I simply run out of water. I don't understand how else I can take off than pulling onto the yoke and giving as much power as possible. You seem to say that it's more complicated than simply "throwing the throttle" but I don't understand what that means. Can you be more specific? I cant find any more precision in the manual.
Any idea also why accusim on will turn off accufeel?

TymK
Staff Sergeant

Post by TymK »

Flowermilk wrote: I try to take off from KSFF Felts water runway 3. I never can get onto the step because I simply run out of water. I don't understand how else I can take off than pulling onto the yoke and giving as much power as possible. You seem to say that it's more complicated than simply "throwing the throttle" but I don't understand what that means. Can you be more specific? I cant find any more precision in the manual.
You've picked a difficult spot for the little Cub :wink: The funny coincidence is that I also tried my first water takeoff with the Accu-Simmed Cub at Felts, and shared much of the same frustration. This is a short "runway", and the altitude is not optimal, either (2,000' ASL is not that much, but with the Cub's tiny engine, it does make a difference). Plus, summer temperatures make things even harder.

You need to go as close to the buoys that mark the limit of the safe area next to the waterfall. As you line up, pull the stick full aft and apply full power. As you get on the step (this should happen at around 15-20 mph as stated in the manual, you'll see and 'feel' the plane rise in the water), you may need to push forward on the stick a bit to keep the nose down and accelerate. Be prepared to turn slightly left, following the river, if you need more time to reach the required speed. On a really hot day, you may be unable to take off at all... And you'll be climbing VERY slowly.

EDIT: Are you able to get on the step at all? One thing I noticed is that with A-Feel and A-Sim enabled at the same time, I got duplicate, overlapping water sounds. I simply disabled the "Sea" part of A-F without testing further, but maybe other things like water friction also get duplicated?
Flowermilk wrote: Any idea also why accusim on will turn off accufeel?
I think Accu-Feel gets disabled by default for Accu-Sim planes, but you can turn it on manually. BTW, I'd also like to hear from more experienced users whether it makes sense to enable it for an already Accu-Simmed plane (apart from the new turbulence effects).

Happy flying!
Tym

Flowermilk
Airman

Post by Flowermilk »

Thank you, Tymk! It was all very sound advice and I finally took off from Felts on the floats after a few more tries. Accusim in that case makes it very challenging, and that's not a bad thing since it probably recreates the situation as it would be in real life.

The trick is to push down on the nose as soon as you feel that you get on the step to keep your momentum, but not too much because a hard hit on the water makes you lose too much speed.

This time when I loaded the aircraft Accufeel was on by default and everything was fine. However, when I turned off Accufeel to try and feel the difference, I was not able to turn it back on.
I would also love to get some insight about that from an experienced A2A user or a developer.
Thanks again for your help, TymK.

TymK
Staff Sergeant

Post by TymK »

Hi Flowermilk,

I'm really glad I could help! :D

BTW, I went back to fly in that area yesterday, and if you follow the road/railway (the one north of the river) to the NE for about 10 miles, then turn N at Ellerport, Newman Lake is a perfect spot for some more practice. It even has a nice beach to pull your Cub onto and relax a bit... :wink:

Blue skies!
Tym

dacamp66
Senior Airman

Post by dacamp66 »

Also, if you go to Newman Lake, make sure to suggest to Heidi to pack her "thong" bikini :wink:
Orville's law: when the altitude of the ground at your current location exceeds the altitude of your aircraft, you have most assuredly crashed.

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub Tech Support”