Tailwheel issue

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
ft
Staff Sergeant

Re: Tailwheel issue

Post by ft »

CharlieP51 wrote:The CUB tailwheel will eventually and visually leave center some time AFTER the rudder begins to turn the plane..it tracks the turning plane.
You have two flimsy (relatively speaking) springs acting on short lever arms. They are trying to displace the wheel (with a considerably longer lever arm) sideways relative to the fuselage. In order to actually make the tailwheel swivel with the aircraft parked, they'd have to move the entire tail to the side and turn the entire aircraft, against the static rolling resistance of the main tyres. It won't happen. What happens is that the springs apply a sideways force on the tailwheel. As the aircraft starts rolling, that force will make the aircraft turn. At this point, the wheel will deflect.

If that is what it does, so far it is correct. The tail wheel will track the turning plane. It will make the plane turn, but it will, none the less, track the turning plane and not move much before it has actually (along with the rudder and/or brakes) made the plane turn. Consider how much force the springs will apply to the wheel. Picture yourself pushing the tail with that much (little) force. Will you turn the plane? If not, the tailwheel won't pivot either.

Now, picture the plane starting to roll. Will the same force make it turn? Yes, it will.

I once heard the installation described as a device for suggesting a direction of turn to the aircraft. Depending on circumstances, it may actually listen... or it may not. It's just not a very direct method of control.
CharlieP51 wrote:The A2A CUB will not pivot 360 on the ground without revving the engine...not real world, not even close, not like the FSX default CUB which can sit and rotate in one place with very little rpm because it has a functioning real-worl like steerable tail wheel.
A real Super Cub has an abysmal turning radius if you only use the tail wheel steering. To really make it turn, you have use differential braking, power or both. Ground looping works as well... or so I hear. ;) The steering angle of the tail wheel achievable through the pedals is rather small. I doubt that the baby Cub is much different, even if I haven't flown one. You can make the Super Cub pivot in place but, again, it takes differential braking and a burst of power.

I don't have the A2A Cub, so I can't comment on that one.
Be warned: Aero engineer, real life pilot, sim programmer. Nothing good can come out of that.

Norforce
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Norforce »

Ron
B-17 AIRFRAME 710 HRS PLUS AND CLIMBING
ImageImageImageImage

GIGABYTE X58A-UD5 MB, INTEL I7 950, 12GB DOMINATOR-GT DDR3 RAM, WIN7 64, GIGABYTE SUPER OVER CLOCK GTX 560 TI 1GB GGDDR5 1000Mz, CORSAIR 850W PS, NOCTUA NH-D14,
TRACKIR 5 & TrackClipPro

CharlieP51
Staff Sergeant

Post by CharlieP51 »

Thank you, BUT I already have...and replied.
As for my A2A CUB tailwheel queries Dudley gave a satisfactory response IMHO and so be it. :mrgreen:

Happy SKIES to ALL
Intel Core i7 at 4.2 Ghz w/H2O-16G HyperX RAM-Crucial M4 128G SSD (x2) FSX-SSD & Win7-SSD -GTX 690 5G DDR5-LG 32" HDMI 1920x1080

ImageImage
Image Image

Norforce
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Norforce »

I saw your reply this was not pointed @ you
Ron
B-17 AIRFRAME 710 HRS PLUS AND CLIMBING
ImageImageImageImage

GIGABYTE X58A-UD5 MB, INTEL I7 950, 12GB DOMINATOR-GT DDR3 RAM, WIN7 64, GIGABYTE SUPER OVER CLOCK GTX 560 TI 1GB GGDDR5 1000Mz, CORSAIR 850W PS, NOCTUA NH-D14,
TRACKIR 5 & TrackClipPro

CharlieP51
Staff Sergeant

Post by CharlieP51 »

Norforce wrote:I saw your reply this was not pointed @ you

Thank you for pointing that out and have a wonderful day.
I know who you are..
Intel Core i7 at 4.2 Ghz w/H2O-16G HyperX RAM-Crucial M4 128G SSD (x2) FSX-SSD & Win7-SSD -GTX 690 5G DDR5-LG 32" HDMI 1920x1080

ImageImage
Image Image

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Thanks, Ron. Appreciate that link in the middle of this thread.

Hook

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub Tech Support”