What are the parameters for a perfect landing

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Roberto
Airman Basic

What are the parameters for a perfect landing

Post by Roberto »

By using FSPassengers I obtain data for my landings with the Piper Cub.

In particular:

a) Landing Speed in mph
b) Landing touchdown ( ex: - 363 feet / min )
c) Landing pitch ( ex 2.29 degrees )

My question is what should the above numbers be for a perfect landing ?

Roberto

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: What are the parameters for a perfect landing

Post by DHenriques_ »

Roberto wrote:By using FSPassengers I obtain data for my landings with the Piper Cub.

In particular:

a) Landing Speed in mph
b) Landing touchdown ( ex: - 363 feet / min )
c) Landing pitch ( ex 2.29 degrees )

My question is what should the above numbers be for a perfect landing ?

Roberto
Hi Roberto;

Using such a strict criteria is the absolute worst way to go when talking landings. There really isn't any such thing as a perfect landing as each one will be different. In the real world, each landing will contain different and varying control pressures, different airspeeds, and different behavior of the aircraft during the flare as that relates to a varying wind velocity and crosswind component if applicable, and it almost always is to some degree.

In the sim you get a break of sorts as you can set up for a known wind condition, and of course you won't feel the dynamic pressure of that wind affecting your control surfaces, but it's STILL best to deal with landings expecting each one to differ somewhat from the last.

The best approach to learning how to land is simply to practice. The "secret" is to have your approach speed stable and control your rate of descent. Use pitch to control airspeed and throttle to control your approach path (altitude/descent rate). Once you get the hang of things doing it this way, the rest will fall right into place.
The golden rule states that a good landing results from a good approach! Learn this one thing and you're on your way to better landings.
Dudley Henriques

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub Tech Support”