Metal Prop (performance gain)

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Dooce
Airman Basic

Metal Prop (performance gain)

Post by Dooce »

I read in the J3 manuel that a more efficient metal prop gives the Cub a few MPH more speed and around a 50FPM climb rate. I stumbled accross a metal prop texture and would appreciate some direction in modifying the aircraft.cfg to accurately reflect the slight increase in performance with the new prop. I see the "piston_engine" and "propeller" sections in the .cfg file, but I wouldn't know where to begin to get a realistic performance gain.

Thanks.

pjc747
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Metal Prop (performance gain)

Post by pjc747 »

I think the J-3 looks better with the wood prop, and is easier on your hands for starting.

Dooce
Airman Basic

Post by Dooce »

I agree, I like the look of wood better too. I was thinking of putting the aluminum prop on the tundra version for more durability :)

While I'm not particularly worried about the performance gain of the metal prop, I am worried about a different prop acting as it should, in it's differences from the standard 72" wooden prop. Diameter, pitch angle, inches of pitch, weight, or what would more likely be a combination of all factors would need to be adjusted. I thought this would be a good chance to get to know the "propeller" section of the aircraft.cfg file and how the different settings relate to real-world prop specifications. Maybe the biggest difference is the metal props resistance to flexing, which I don't think can modeled in the aircraft.cfg.

I could go through and try and model it best to the real Sensenich aluminum prop, but that will only work if FSX was designed to give realistic results using realistic values, and A2A used realistic values for the wood prop.

I could simply increase the "thrust_scalar" value, but wouldn't that result in a very linear performance change, with all other factors remaining the same? I'd much rather work towards achieving the dynamic differences of using an alternate prop.

I may simply be in for an extended trial and error period :?

pjc747
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pjc747 »

The metal texture looks funny when you strike it, because it splinters like wood does.

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub Tech Support”