Cub, FSFlyingSchool and flaps

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
AndiD
Airman Basic

Cub, FSFlyingSchool and flaps

Post by AndiD »

Hi,

I'm currently learning to fly with stick-and-rudder using the A2A Cub in combination with FSFlyingSchool (FSFS) and a big book. :mrgreen:

Slight problem combining the first two: FSFS auto-detects flaps on the A2A Cub and gives me a penalty for landing without them. I tried working with the FSFS support to modify the aircraft.cfg file so that FSFS doesn't detect flaps but that somehow seems to screw up the flight model on landing (ending up nose-up stuck in the runway... looks funny but gives even less points).

I found the thread about FS Passengers X here where the solution was to disable the flap penalty in FSP - FSFS doesn't have such option (would be silly in the first place to disable "school penalties"...).

Question is: Is it possible to remove the flap-detecting stuff from the aircraft.cfg of the Cub without affecting the flight model?

AndiD
Airman Basic

Re: Cub, FSFlyingSchool and flaps

Post by AndiD »

Any quick suggestions on this one?

(TL;DR:
- Can flaps be removed from the aircraft.cfg (to avoid auto-detection by FSFlyingSchool) without screwing up the flight / landing characteristics?
- If yes, what would the necessary change look like?
)

Thx in advance for your help, even if you are busy with some brand new exciting upcoming stuff. :)

Tigerclaw
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tigerclaw »

Does this program actually detect flaps, of just the key strokes to deploy them? If it's just the key strokes, cheat by pressing the flaps keys as if you are deploying flaps. It may work I wouldn't know. But worth a try in my book.
Tony (That's all your getting, like it or lump it)

MSFS i7-7700 Kaby Lake CPU @ 3.60 GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Cores (Liquid cooled) Gigabyte B250M-DS3H-CF M/Board 32 Gig DDR4 Ram Nvidia GTX 1080ti 11GB GDDR 5 Win 10 Home Acer Predator XB271HU.

AndiD
Airman Basic

Post by AndiD »

It detects the existence of flaps from the aircraft.cfg (default Cub works).

The FSFS guys sent me a version of the A2A Cub aircraft.cfg with flaps removed, which in turn screwed up the touch-down behavior, so it does not seem to be that trivial. That's why i'm asking the experts here. :D

pjc747
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pjc747 »

Faulty program. Did you try the default cub for the same problem? Altough teh Cub is such a nice plane, and best sicne made with A2A and accusim, the Cessna 152 is a better trainer. Its on its nose, you sit in front, much handier. The bad part about the cub is solo is from the back, making passenger carrying hard, sicne instruments are blocked.

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub Tech Support”