A2A Development Update 4/8/18

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
rhenson529
Senior Airman

Re: A2A Development Update 4/8/18

Post by rhenson529 »

I have to say I'm getting excited for the new release. I'm sure I will keep checking throughout the weekend if there is a new release.

A2A team, the new storefront looks great and clean. The new "About Us" page is great and shows how involved the team is with actual flying and not just a software company. Can't wait! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
A2A Planes: Cub, 172, 182, Cherokee, Comanche, Bonanza,T6, 377, Spitfire, and P51
Hardware: i7 (5.0 ghz) 32 GB 3000Ghz; RTX 2080ti; 1TB PCIe M.2; 1TB PCIe M.2

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by speedy70 »

New Storefront!!! Where?

Nobody said anything about a release,only some informational update.

Cheers Chris

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

rhenson529 wrote:The new "About Us" page is great and shows how involved the team is with actual flying and not just a software company.
Lewis' favorite aircraft is the Lancaster? Who knew?

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

new store and website are in the video update, not live just yet. Waiting on some new P3Dv4 installers/systems Nick's been putting together to make installing and updating a little easier including at point of install the products getting updated. 8)

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Buffy Foster

Post by Buffy Foster »

So many cool things coming! \o/

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

Lewis - A2A wrote:new store and website are in the video update, not live just yet. Waiting on some new P3Dv4 installers/systems Nick's been putting together to make installing and updating a little easier including at point of install the products getting updated. 8)

cheers,
Lewis
Sounds great. Just do NOT mess with the forum! It is fast, functional and easy to navigate.

Paul

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Gypsy Baron wrote:Just do NOT mess with the forum! It is fast, functional and easy to navigate.

Paul
I concur. :)

-Esa

SWood7
Airman

Post by SWood7 »

b3a wrote:
SWood7 wrote:Really looking forward to this! I’m fortunate to have a little bit of time in a V Tail and I loved every minute of it. I told my wife that someday we need to trade in the Cherokee (which I love, too) and buy an A36. She’s not convinced, but I sure am! Maybe this will help her see the light. :D

The best way to allow her to see the bonanza light is to just go out and trade it in.... or she could just kill you then and I suppose you would just see the light then.
Better to ask for forgiveness, right?! :lol:
Sean Wood

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Gypsy Baron wrote: Sounds great. Just do NOT mess with the forum! It is fast, functional and easy to navigate.

Paul

Will try but might have to make a change down the line I am afraid. Lots of stuff in front of any potential changes though for sure!
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

AKar wrote:I also understand that variation of air density as a function of temperature is effectively not modeled in FSX/P3D platform. Which I find curious, but haven't done any tests to check it out.

-Esa
Okay, I had to make a simple test - as simple as they come! :) It turns out that my "understanding" was false. At least P3Dv4 indeed does model density altitude effect to some extent.

Test setup:
Carenado Bonanza that ships with the P3Dv4. Default weather engine, no wind conditions, first set up at -25 °C sea level, dew point -30 °C; thereafter set up at +30 °C, dew point + 20 °C. Establish 1000 ft pressure altitude and 150 kIAS, and note the ground speed.

Reasoning:
Keeping constant IAS, that is dynamic pressure, we effectively make ½ρv² = constant. Density ρ is a function of pressure (which we keep approximately constant) and of air temperature. Therefore, to balance the equation, should the temperature have effect on density ρ as it is supposed to, we must find higher GS/TAS v when density ρ is smaller, i.e. the conditions are warmer.

Results:
1. Conditions -25 °C. Altitude 995 ft, indicated airspeed 150 knots. True speed: 141 knots.
2. Conditions +30 °C. Altitude 1011 ft, indicated airspeed 150 knots. True speed: 155 knots.

The results are roughly in line with the expected TAS values, proving that the density altitude has its proper effects. I must say I was somewhat surprised by the results.

I shall make more proper testing some time in conditions better suited for accurate results. But yet, the density altitude modeling is definitely there.

Edit: And it follows, obviously, that the turn radius is indeed affected by the temperature as well.

-Esa

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Post by Caldemeyn »

Great test, looking forward to more :)

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Just repeated at 8000 ft.

1. OAT 34 °C, 8003 ft, 130 kIAS
Result: 155 kTAS
(Expected: 156 kTAS)

2. OAT -26 °C, 8000 ft, 130 kIAS
Result: 140 kTAS
(Expected: 140 kTAS)

So it seems actually to be spot-on to the rough accuracy of this test, in comparison to figures I quickly took from an online TAS calculator. I also tried if changing humidity drastically would have any effect in the simulator - none noticed whatsoever, so I retain something to complain. :mrgreen:

What this means? Well, if A2A does good job in modeling the effects of high temperature on the engine performance, the cumulative effect of that and the aerodynamic effects of this density altitude phenomenon might very well surprise one if not planning carefully.

If we want to make an example of what this does to the turn radius, we can of course make a very simple back-of-an-envelope calculation, as it is very trivial! To make it even more trivial, let us assume we make a steady turn at 45° of bank, thereby resulting in exactly one g into the turn, so we simplify even more getting rid of one step of trigonometry. We do this at constant altitude, of course.

Because the radius of the turn is simply our (true) velocity squared divided by the lateral acceleration, which we determined to be 1 g, or about 9.81 m/s², we simply convert the knots to meters per second and plug those in.

The resulting turn radii would be:

1. r = 650 m or 2130 ft

2. r = 530 m or 1740 ft

The difference is not exactly negligible.

-Esa

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

AKar wrote:Just repeated at 8000 ft.

1. OAT 34 °C, 8003 ft, 130 kIAS
Result: 155 kTAS
(Expected: 156 kTAS)

2. OAT -26 °C, 8000 ft, 130 kIAS
Result: 140 kTAS
(Expected: 140 kTAS)

So it seems actually to be spot-on to the rough accuracy of this test, in comparison to figures I quickly took from an online TAS calculator. I also tried if changing humidity drastically would have any effect in the simulator - none noticed whatsoever, so I retain something to complain. :mrgreen:

What this means? Well, if A2A does good job in modeling the effects of high temperature on the engine performance, the cumulative effect of that and the aerodynamic effects of this density altitude phenomenon might very well surprise one if not planning carefully.

If we want to make an example of what this does to the turn radius, we can of course make a very simple back-of-an-envelope calculation, as it is very trivial! To make it even more trivial, let us assume we make a steady turn at 45° of bank, thereby resulting in exactly one g into the turn, so we simplify even more getting rid of one step of trigonometry. We do this at constant altitude, of course.

Because the radius of the turn is simply our (true) velocity squared divided by the lateral acceleration, which we determined to be 1 g, or about 9.81 m/s², we simply convert the knots to meters per second and plug those in.

The resulting turn radii would be:

1. r = 650 m or 2130 ft

2. r = 530 m or 1740 ft

The difference is not exactly negligible.

-Esa
I would add to the importance of turn radius that we bury several pilots every year in the display pilot community due to density altitude affecting turn radius. The issue is so critical I have an article distributed internationally on the exact subject.

Dudley Henriques
Last edited by DHenriques_ on 23 Apr 2018, 09:26, edited 1 time in total.

colokent
Airman

Post by colokent »

Lewis - A2A wrote:new store and website are in the video update, not live just yet. Waiting on some new P3Dv4 installers/systems Nick's been putting together to make installing and updating a little easier including at point of install the products getting updated. 8)

cheers,
Lewis
Probably reading too much into your post Lewis, but does your comment imply that the P-51D and P-51D civilian have been made compatible with P3D V4+ and will be released with the new storefront?

Kent

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

colokent wrote:Probably reading too much into your post Lewis, but does your comment imply that the P-51D and P-51D civilian have been made compatible with P3D V4+ and will be released with the new storefront?

Kent
They said the Spit is the first converted warbird.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”