Winds and runway selection. Which one and how do you know?

Find or share aviation knowledge
DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Winds and runway selection. Which one and how do you kno

Post by DHenriques_ »

Still Learning wrote:
Yes. You've missed one word and that word is key to understanding your question.
The word is FROM. The wind is FROM 040 degrees. So if you are taking off INTO the wind what direction (heading) would you be facing?
Dudley Henriques
I've always thought it was the inverse of the report, so the reciprocal 040 would be 22. You'd be facing a heading of 220*

Excuse me. Thought all this was a joke. Mixed it up with another thread.

Serious answer; If the wind was from 040 degrees you are correct. The takeoff runway would be 22. :-))))))))))

DH
Last edited by DHenriques_ on 07 Apr 2018, 19:42, edited 3 times in total.

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by speedy70 »

Yes 220 is correct.

Cheers Chris

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Still Learning wrote:
Yes. You've missed one word and that word is key to understanding your question.
The word is FROM. The wind is FROM 040 degrees. So if you are taking off INTO the wind what direction (heading) would you be facing?
Dudley Henriques
I've always thought it was the inverse of the report, so the reciprocal 040 would be 22. You'd be facing a heading of 220*
if

That's correct. Wind from 040 degrees. Takeoff runway into the wind would be 22.

DH

Still Learning
Senior Airman

Post by Still Learning »

Believe me when I tell you I know how elementary this looks. Up until now, i.e. since FS (Mac) 4.0 it never really mattered. "Hey, that runway looks good, (at the Dest. Apt.) and it's longer than that one. I'll use that one." "Plus, that one's right in front of me." That's how I flew. So, I never had to think about until now.

Now, I can read the Decoded METAR reports, and determine for myself, (with confidence,) which runway to use.

And for that, I thank you.

Still Learning
As of 8/14/17 | NZXT S340 Elite | AORUS Gaming 7 Z270 | i7 7770K @4.8 GhZ | EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 11 GB | 16GB DDR 4 RAM @ 2666 MhZ | Samsung EVO 850 SSD 1TB

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: That's correct. Wind from 040 degrees. Takeoff runway into the wind would be 22.
Now you’ve got me all confused. If the wind is coming from 040 degrease (it’s blowing towards 220 degreas no?) I would takeoff from runway 04 wich has a heading of 040 thus taking off into the wind no? Or am I missing something now?
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Piper_EEWL wrote:
DHenriquesA2A wrote:That's correct. Wind from 040 degrees. Takeoff runway into the wind would be 22.
Now you’ve got me all confused. If the wind is coming from 040 degrease (it’s blowing towards 220 degreas no?) I would takeoff from runway 04 wich has a heading of 040 thus taking off into the wind no? Or am I missing something now?
I read it like you do. If METAR is 04010, it means that wind blows FROM 040 AT 10 knots. To take off into the wind, the runway would obviously be 04 or thereabouts.

I understand the convention to state wind directions as from where the wind blows (instead of pointing out the direction in which the air is moving) comes from the behavior of wind vane, the arrow turning into the wind. Actually to me, it would be a little bit more logical the other way around, but of course this is extremely old and solid convention. It only makes one to invert the wind vector's numerical heading when calculating a drift for instance: the wind from 040° adds a drift component towards 220°. (Probably the same guys slapped the negative sign on the charge of electron some time later! :mrgreen:)

-Esa

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Piper_EEWL wrote:
DHenriquesA2A wrote: That's correct. Wind from 040 degrees. Takeoff runway into the wind would be 22.
You're not confused. It's me. I drew it out to post a diagram then read the damn thing upside down . Senior moment ! LOL
Wind from 040. Takeoff into the wind; runway would not be 22. It would be 4.
Sorry guys, and especially to the post offering the initial question.

Dudley Henriques
Last edited by DHenriques_ on 08 Apr 2018, 07:06, edited 1 time in total.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:
Piper_EEWL wrote:
You're not confused. It's me. I drew it out to post a diagram then read the damn thing upside down . Senior moment ! LOL

Dudley Henriques
Back in high school, there was a simple test question on drawing triangles, which involved an airplane flying east I think, and some southerly wind. The point was to calculate the resulting ground track and speed, which I thought I nailed pretty well. Upon return, there was written on the test paper, in red: "Note: southerly wind = wind blows from south." I obviously had mine the opposite way around, promptly costing me two points out of six possible. I like goddamned hated these wind things ever since!! :mrgreen:

-Esa

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

[/quote]Now you’ve got me all confused. If the wind is coming from 040 degrease (it’s blowing towards 220 degreas no?) I would takeoff from runway 04 wich has a heading of 040 thus taking off into the wind no? Or am I missing something now?[/quote]You're not confused. It's me. I drew it out to post a diagram then read the damn thing upside down . Senior moment ! LOL

Dudley Henriques[/quote]Back in high school, there was a simple test question on drawing triangles, which involved an airplane flying east I think, and some southerly wind. The point was to calculate the resulting ground track and speed, which I thought I nailed pretty well. Upon return, there was written on the test paper, in red: "Note: southerly wind = wind blows from south." I obviously had mine the opposite way around, promptly costing me two points out of six possible. I like goddamned hated these wind things ever since!! :mrgreen:

-Esa[/quote]

First I mixed up two threads thinking this one was a joke. Then I read the diagram upside down. I think I'm getting old. LOL
DH

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Hehe. Don't worry about it. We've all been there! :wink:

Yes but the wind issue seems confusing for a lot of people because it is always FROM. I had my fare share of confusion with that too when I was younger :mrgreen:
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Piper_EEWL wrote:Hehe. Don't worry about it. We've all been there! :wink:

Yes but the wind issue seems confusing for a lot of people because it is always FROM. I had my fare share of confusion with that too when I was younger :mrgreen:
The way I used to teach it was to put the nose of the aircraft where the wind was coming from. Match the numbers; wind from 40 degrees......put the nose at 40 degrees.........or in this case expect runway 4.

DH

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: The way I used to teach it was to put the nose of the aircraft where the wind was coming from. Match the numbers; wind from 40 degrees......put the nose at 40 degrees.........or in this case expect runway 4.

DH
Yes that's how my flight instructors told me and it makes it very simple indeed.

jeepinforfun
Technical Sergeant

Post by jeepinforfun »

I put my heading bug on the wind direction and look for the runway heading closest to it.
Take care, Brett

SWLights/AccuFeel/Cub/Mustang/Skyhawk/Cherokee/Skylane/Comanche/Thunderbolt/Spitfire/FlyingFortress/Stratocruiser

Still Learning
Senior Airman

Post by Still Learning »

It's not that I can't a) manipulate the heading bug to match the rwy heading, or the closest to it, or if the report says 040* ok, runway 4 it is. I can't understand how you're choosing 4 and not 22. That's what I don't understand.

What I understand as "Winds are 040* at 4 kts. (and this is probably where I'm making my mistake, which is what I don't understand.)

Honestly, I hate to belabor the point..So please forgive me.

I'm on RWY 4, with a super powerful box fan. I turn on the fan. The "wind" blows in the direction of RWY 22.

Isn't this what they mean when they say "The wind is from 040?

Thanks,

Still Learning
As of 8/14/17 | NZXT S340 Elite | AORUS Gaming 7 Z270 | i7 7770K @4.8 GhZ | EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 11 GB | 16GB DDR 4 RAM @ 2666 MhZ | Samsung EVO 850 SSD 1TB

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

If you were standing on the numbers of runway 4, the wind would be blowing in your face. Best to stop thinking about reciprocals, it's only going to confuse you.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”