Flying at higher altitudes and effect on the body

Find or share aviation knowledge
new reply
Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Flying at higher altitudes and effect on the body

Post by Oracle427 »

I made my first RW flight about 8000' this past weekend. The flight was 2 hours each way and there was very strong turbulence below 9000 feet. It was so strong that I was starting to get queasy and decided it was time to climb to smoother air. Thankfully it was an excellent VFR day and the clouds were widely scattered.

I climbed up to 10500 for the westerly leg of the flight and remained up there for over an hour.

I noted that I had to breath more deeply as I was feeling a little more fatigued. I could also feel my pulse rate slightly elevated. I had an experienced pilot with me, but he was in an unfamiliar aircraft so I was talking him through the operations. We were also in an area with a lot of jet traffic going into KPHL so I was doing a lot of talking to ATC. I found that speaking a lot would make me feel a little more fatigued.

I guess the brain demands a lot of oxygen to maintain focus on the tasks required for a safe flight. I did not observe any other symptoms. I wish I had a blood pulse oximeter that get some data on my body.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Comrade_Bob
Airman First Class

Re: Flying at higher altitudes and effect on the body

Post by Comrade_Bob »

The effects of hypoxia on the body are interesting to study and experience (in a controlled setting of course). I know that Army regulations require the use of supplemental oxygen at 10,000 ft if you're at that altitude for more than hour. At 10,000ft, your oxygen saturation tends toward and even under 90%, which is the benchmark for the onset of hypoxia. Mind you, there's nothing serious at this point, but as you described, you started noticing some symptoms.

For my clarification, does RW stand for Real World?
Tom M.

ImageImageImageImage

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Flying at higher altitudes and effect on the body

Post by Oracle427 »

Yes RW = real world.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”