Near miss on approach

Find or share aviation knowledge
new reply
GrahamP
Senior Airman

Near miss on approach

Post by GrahamP »

I'm east of EGGW Luton Airport and I'm cleared for the ILS RWY 08 approach via LUT transition (see this chart):
http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadbasic ... -12-17.pdf

As I'm descending on the 256° back course there’s an Airbus A319 getting bigger on the glide slope and we almost collide just as I’m starting the procedure turn (sorry, no screenshot :( ). This left me wondering how such a situation would have been avoided in real life. Would ATC have control over this or would it be solely the responsibility of the pilots in command? Would I perhaps have been instructed to hold at LUT and be cleared from there with appropriate timing to slot into a gap on the glide slope. If so, how would the controller know how much time to allow for this?

Graham

Comrade_Bob
Airman First Class

Re: Near miss on approach

Post by Comrade_Bob »

This situation would have been prevented long before this by ATC. I'm assuming you were flying IFR, and barring any discrepancies between US and UK flight rules, ATC would have been responsible for maintaining spacing between you and other aircraft in the airspace.
Tom M.

ImageImageImageImage

wblackret
Staff Sergeant

Re: Near miss on approach

Post by wblackret »

When in doubt, " put your head between your legs and kiss your $@& goodbye"......Airbus wins!
Bill Black

C172,C182,250 Comanche,J3 Cub,P-40,Bonanza
MSFS, P3Dv4.5
JETLINE GT2
W10,Z390 PRO MB,9TH GEN I7 9700K 4.9 GHZ (OC),KRAKEN M22 120 MHZ CPU LC,32 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 3200 GHZ RAM, EVGA 8 GB RTX 2070 SUPER,850 WATT CORSAIR PS,2TB CORSAIR SSD.

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”