WWII IFR Training Manual & IFR timed pattern exercises.

Find or share aviation knowledge
new reply
pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

WWII IFR Training Manual & IFR timed pattern exercises.

Post by pilottj »

Hey guys, I came across this, it's a WWII instrument flying manual.
http://www.whittsflying.com/web/page8.9 ... ontrol.htm

No matter how many computers and magenta lines there are in today's planes, the fundamentals are still the same. I remember having to do timed pattern exercises during my IFR training. The pattern exercises are excellent for keeping sharp.

If you would like to try out these exercises, here you go...

Start simple with basic.

Do this timed pattern level.

Do the pattern with altitude changes.

Use any plane you like, tho these exercises were probably written with the T-6 in mind. The Comanche and 182 should work fine too (just change airspeed to kts for the 182). Subtract 20mph/kts from the exercises if you want to use the Cherokee or 172. The other warbirds should work fine for this too, as all you really need is the basic IFR instruments + timer, just adjust the pattern speeds as needed.

Remember your basics on timed instrument flying. Std rate turn = 180*/min or 3*/sec. 360*=2:00, 270*=1:30, 180*=1:00, 90*=0:30, 45*=0:15. To adjust course 10*, from straight, roll into std turn, count to 3, roll out...

For added challenge, don't use the DG, instead rely on the Mag Compass for direction...this means you really have to be precise with your time management.

For time, use the flight timer on the GPS or the ADF timer or other onboard timer. You can also use the onboard clock, just be sure to 'start' when the secondhand is at 0.

After you get some good practice, then try this procedure turn exercise or go try out some time based IAPs.

If anyone has some other pattern exercises, please post.

Have fun!

CHeers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

tederby
Airman Basic

Re: WWII IFR Training Manual & IFR timed pattern exercises.

Post by tederby »

I've only just found this post. Thanks, TJ - it's a very good workout for anyone wanting to use the sim to hone their co-ordination skills in IMC conditions. And that includes RW pilots. I'm just about to get "under the hood" in the Texan!
PPL IMC (Retired) Flight simmer since 1979 (SubLOGIC)

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”