Tracking to waypoints

Find or share aviation knowledge
new reply
minibikerider
Airman

Tracking to waypoints

Post by minibikerider »

So I want to do a flight from Ann Arbor Municipal in the commanche on all radios. No GPS in the cockpit what so ever. My question is, when a nav log has 3 waypoints in between NDB or VOR, how does one track to go from those three waypoints and end up on the inbound rack towards that VOR or NDB. The link below is a nav log that was generated from skyvector.

https://skyvector.com/api/navlog?15112
ImageImage
ImageImage

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Tracking to waypoints

Post by Jacques »

Use your compass to fly the heading towards you next navaid, adjust your heading according to wind direction and strength at the altitude you plan to fly (if you're using weather). If you have other navaids within range that are off-track, tune them as well and use as a cross reference. Its a fun exercise!

The navlog you link shows up empty on my ipad....don't know why.

minibikerider
Airman

Post by minibikerider »

I'll get a screen cap of the nav log later in the day.
ImageImage
ImageImage

minibikerider
Airman

Post by minibikerider »

KARB to KGPH

HARWL V221 LFD V233 GSH V8 AHMED V10 IRK V502 LASSO

Put this into skyvector. it should give the same nav log.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

This is a VOR to VOR plan and you will be flying on the Victor airways as denoted by the V# on that route. You will need to use the appropriate IFR charts instead of the VFR charts to see the victor airways plotted on there.

I won't go into the lengthy details of how to properly fly these airways while IFR, I am assuming you will be flying them VFR. The IFR charts can be opened in Skyvector by clicking on those buttons with the chart names along the top right of the chart. The VFR charts do not provide sufficient detail to be able to fly the airways and not all of the airways are shown.

Very generally speaking, you will need to go outbound from a VOR on the radial specified for a Victor airway and then switch to the inbound radial at the halfway point between the other VOR on that leg of the airway. Where the airway makes a turn without crossing over a VOR station it is at the intersection of two radials from two specified stations or other navaids including an ILS Localizer or bearing to an NDB.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

minibikerider
Airman

Post by minibikerider »

Oracle427 wrote:This is a VOR to VOR plan and you will be flying on the Victor airways as denoted by the V# on that route. You will need to use the appropriate IFR charts instead of the VFR charts to see the victor airways plotted on there.

I won't go into the lengthy details of how to properly fly these airways while IFR, I am assuming you will be flying them VFR. The IFR charts can be opened in Skyvector by clicking on those buttons with the chart names along the top right of the chart. The VFR charts do not provide sufficient detail to be able to fly the airways and not all of the airways are shown.

Very generally speaking, you will need to go outbound from a VOR on the radial specified for a Victor airway and then switch to the inbound radial at the halfway point between the other VOR on that leg of the airway. Where the airway makes a turn without crossing over a VOR station it is at the intersection of two radials from two specified stations or other navaids including an ILS Localizer or bearing to an NDB.
Actually, please do go into how to fly the victor airways. Anything helps.
ImageImage
ImageImage

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

minibikerider wrote:My question is, when a nav log has 3 waypoints in between NDB or VOR, how does one track to go from those three waypoints and end up on the inbound rack towards that VOR or NDB.
Multiple ways! :D In general, for convenience you'd track both the outbound VOR radial of the last station and the inbound radial to the next, and switch over at around half way or when conditions dictate. Note that the radials in degrees generally are not the same in and out: this has to do with two things, first, the magnetic declination could be different at the stations, and second, also the stations may be aligned to different norths in comparison to actual magnetic north at the station (called station declination).

I'd figure your main issue is with waypoint AHMED? In that case, you can switch the radials as above: have the JOLIET at nav 1 and BRADFORD at nav 2 for instance, and when the nav 2 comes to center, intercept the radial and switch it over to nav 1 and tune the next leg to nav 2.

Another way to do it is to fly JOLIET outbound and have the radial 349° from PONTIAC in your nav 2. When your nav 2 shows you're crossing the radial, turn to BRADFORD inbound heading ± any needed wind correction, and while at it, tune the BRADFORD inbound radial to nav to follow. You could also do it with DME, or combinations of! That's what makes the VOR flying fun in the sim!

-Esa

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

This handbook should get you started. This assumes knowledge of using VORs and other navigation functions.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policie ... 83-15B.pdf

Chapter 1 describes the Enroute chart features and critical pieces of information you need to interpret the route and how to set up your navigation instruments.

I would start there and see if you gather enough from that to understand how one would fly the enroute portion. This means understanding how to establish oneself on a Victor airway and remain on the airway, what the correct altitudes are for various segments of the airway, when to track against a specific VOR station, etc.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”