Did I mess up my Steam Installation???

Find or share aviation knowledge
new reply
Still Learning
Senior Airman

Did I mess up my Steam Installation???

Post by Still Learning »

I downloaded the Steam Interface and FSX:SE yesterday. all of which took me literally all day, probably because I put the install folders etc.on a flash drive of 2.0 speed, which didn't help.

Anyway, at this point all I have is the very basic Steam install. The interface and FSX:SE in default configuration. Here's the thing: FSX from Microsoft, the original - that preceeded the Steam edition - was on the drive albeit the C drive, during the downloading and installing of all the Steam software - which would include FSX:SE.

Do I have to reinsall everything, because of my oversight, of leaving Microsoft Flight Simulator X on the drive (C) during the install? I read a post, here earliear today that said, (I'm paraphrasing,) when you have a dual installation, it can cause problems, because the registry entries, (paths?) can be comprimised. Please correct any misrepresentations, as it is from memory...

Bonus Q: Because software was downloaded to my computer, where was it downloaded to? I pointed it to the USB drive for installation, if that helps. The reason being, I'm in the process of replacing my 5 year old internal, and external drives.

Thanks in advance,

Still Learning
As of 8/14/17 | NZXT S340 Elite | AORUS Gaming 7 Z270 | i7 7770K @4.8 GhZ | EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 11 GB | 16GB DDR 4 RAM @ 2666 MhZ | Samsung EVO 850 SSD 1TB

chadryan
Senior Airman

Re: Did I mess up my Steam Installation???

Post by chadryan »

The box version and steam edition can exist on the same computer side by side so you should be fine

Still Learning
Senior Airman

Post by Still Learning »

Thanks for the reply...
So then, when I do install my aircraft, the installer won't misplace, misread, or what not, the files to be installed?
I ask, because when I did a search on "steam" here - across all forums, lots of issues popped up.

One thing I should mention, a) at this point I have the default installation package, with updates - from Steam - on the flash/thumb drive. b) In the boxed version of FSX, from Microsoft - I've bought and applied Steve's DX10 Fixer. Just to double check: because I have Steve's DX10 Fixer, (on my C drive) is this going to interact with FSX:SE?

Do you know where/how to findthe the downloaded install file from steam so I can keep it for safekeeping? (In case C or my flash/thumb drive should crash.)

Thanks in advance,

Still Learning
As of 8/14/17 | NZXT S340 Elite | AORUS Gaming 7 Z270 | i7 7770K @4.8 GhZ | EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 11 GB | 16GB DDR 4 RAM @ 2666 MhZ | Samsung EVO 850 SSD 1TB

chadryan
Senior Airman

Post by chadryan »

When you are installing add-ons the installed will typically prompt you for the location of your FSX installation. Just make sure it is pointing to your Steam install. If you do start to run into trouble you can always reinstall the Steam edition

Still Learning
Senior Airman

Post by Still Learning »

Thanks, I appreciate the additional info.

Still Learning

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”