The A2A Simulations Community

"Come share your passion for flight"
It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Book Recommendations
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:25 pm 
Chief Master Sergeant

Let us discuss books! And more specifically, recommend some!

Please shall we keep them related to the aviation, but it is not necessary for them to be directly so. If you know a very good book of any field or subject you think is closely related to aviation, go ahead and suggest!

Only one further request. Please pick the category of the book from the following:

[Fiction]

[Memoir]

[Factual] - Anything that speaks of factual matters related to aviation, but is easily readable to general audience.

[Technical] - Anything that speaks of factual matters, but requires some in-depth knowledge of the subject or mathematics for example.

[Manual] - Self-explanatory; there is another thread for listing all the manuals you can find, this is not in general intended to be a thread to post manuals. But if you know some that are good enough for general aviation knowledge, feel free to post them also! :)

[Historical/Study], pick either or both as appropriate - Intended for historical books that study a history of a squadron from third perspective for instance, or of a given airplane type as another example, without going deep enough to fall into [Technical] category.

Let us also discuss and give opinions about books also, but please do not post those in the same post with recommendations, which I'd like to keep easily collectable should the thread take off.

Oh, and post a short description of the title too. And if it is hard to find, a link could do as well, but I wish to avoid them too much to not prefer any specific publisher, shop, or in particular, questionable uploads.

-Esa

Post subject: Re: Book Recommendations
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:25 pm 
Chief Master Sergeant

Let me start with an example (I've got some several more I'll post later!):

[Memoir]
Clostermann, Pierre
The Big Show

An excellent book of self-written memoirs by Free French Air Force pilot fighting in WWII. A must-have really, if you haven't read it already.

[Factual]
Rolls Royce
The Jet Engine

An excellent, easily-approachable, truly classic book about turbine engines. While it is easily readable likely by every technically-oriented layman, it doesn't insult those who want to get their more in-depth knowledge bored. Perhaps something to learn for those minds too here! :)

[Technical]
Phillips, Warren F.
Mechanics of Flight

Yet another excellent book about...well, you should guess it! About mechanics of flight. A comprehensive book holding in the most of to-go data about basic applications of physics to flight, with good factual accuracy. If one is interested about flight dynamics and such without getting too involved with the physical theories behind them, this is a very practical handbook kind of source. Requires some moderate skills with math and some knowledge about classical physics is assumed.

[Factual/Technical]
McLean, Doug
Understanding Aerodynamics

Perhaps the best book about aerodynamics related to flight I've read, putting some specific emphasis on dealing with various misunderstandings and false theories, pointing out more appropriate ones. Written by retired aeronautical engineer who's worked for Boeing I understand. While the general text is mostly quite easily readable, I warn though that he uses quite some of math that is fairly sticky even if not utterly advanced. I'd guess if you're fluent with your integrals & calculus, it won't be that bad!

Okay! Let's hear about some book recommendations! :) I'll post a couple of more later on.

-Esa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:01 pm 
Technical Sergeant

The best book for anyone that wants to really learn to safely fly. https://www.amazon.com/Stick-Rudder-Exp ... 0070362408

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:01 pm 
Senior Airman

[Memoir] [Factual]

Sullenberger, Chesley B. "Sully"

Highest Duty - Making a difference

"Sully's story is one of dedication, hope, and preparedness, revealing the important lessons he learned through his life, in his military service, and in his work as an airline pilot. It reminds us all that [...] there are values still worth fighting for -- that life's challenges can be met if we're ready for them."

Viele Grüße | Best regards,
Oliver

http://oliversflightsimming.blogspot.de

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:41 am 
A2A First Lieutenant

Nice idea for a topic. :) Of course, it can't be complete without this one, though I'm sure most here are already rather familiar with it...

[Memoir/Factual]
Gann, Ernest. K
Fate is the Hunter

A gripping and moving account of the early days of commercial aviation told with both humbleness and humour.

[Memoir/Factual]
Bramson, Alan
Master Airman: A Biography of Air Vice-Marshall Donald Bennett CB, CBE, DSO

A more obscure recommendation and not exactly a catchy title, but nonetheless a interesting biography covering Don Bennett's early career, the Pathfinder Force and the tribulations of the BSAA days.

Cheers,
Nick

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:12 am 
Technical Sergeant

As Nick has already mentioned Fate is the Hunter, my memoir recommendation is Sagittarius Rising, by Cecil Lewis, a First World War fighter pilot.

Factual: Wings of the Weird and Wonderful, by Captain Eric 'Winkle' Brown RN. The late Captain Brown holds the record for the most types of aircraft flown by one man, and in this book he examines just a few of them ( fifty three, to be exact ).

Technical: Cant think of one I've read and would recommend. Tony Blackman's Vulcan Test Pilot got very technical at times, often to the point where I was completely baffled by it.

Historical: Sunburst: The Rise of Japanese Naval Air Power 1909-41, by the late Mark R. Peatie. Utterly superb from start to finish, and a pet interest of mine.

Study: Rolling Thunder: The Bombing of North Vietnam 1964-68 by John T. Smith. A contentious topic, but he addresses the military and political aspects objectively - I believe the book was based on his PhD thesis. His conclusions do not make for happy reading.

Pip Pip ! :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:54 am 
Airman

[quote="bobsk8"]The best book for anyone that wants to really learn to safely fly. https://www.amazon.com/Stick-Rudder-Exp ... 0070362408[/quote]

ABSOLUTELY AGREE.