Is this a bad habit?

Find or share aviation knowledge
pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Is this a bad habit?

Post by pilottj »

I always try to keep my head in the turn, especially in a real airplane. Think of the windscreen and outside horizon like a giant attitude indicator. (in VMC of course) You use those visual ques and references for pitch attitudes and good VFR flying. If you tilt your head, it would be like looking at your AI in IMC at an angle....you get the idea of where that could lead to trouble. :)

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the post TJ. Yeah, all the arguments in this topic by real pilots for not tilting the head make good sense to me. My point in the last post (brought about by the latest version of EZdok) is that if you're looking where the aircraft is going in a level banked turn, it seems impossible not to tilt it.

Anyone who wonders what the hell I'm jabbering on about, try tilting your computer chair about 15° to the left then looking at an object at head height which is off to your left. Now, whilst trying to keep your head and torso motionless, return your chair to its level position then see what angle your head's at... :)

Cheers,
Nick

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

The other interesting thing is that in a real plane you feel the 'G's when you pull into a steep turn. Having your neck straight while feeling Gs is a good thing lol.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”