New trainee

Find or share aviation knowledge
new reply
John Martin
Airman Basic

New trainee

Post by John Martin »

Hello folks,

First, if I have posted this in the wrong place I'm sorry.
This is the first post to this board, so I'm still trying to figure my way around.

Second, I'm looking to learn a few things about flying!

Around 3 years ago, I started my adventure, but due to different reasons I had to put it aside.

I have now found my equipment again, and set everything up. But what I learned last time os mostly gone.
Last time I used the Lessons in FSX but due to a lot of trouble installing/activating FSX now running Windows 10, I now have bought and installed P3D.
But for what I can see, there is not something similar as the training in P3D.

My "goal" per now, I guess is flying bigger commercial airplanes in P3D, but I don't just want to go straight to the big planes.
I want to learn the basics. How to interpenetrate maps, use navigational equipment/aids, plan a flight etc.

I have had a look at C172 Trainer package, but I'm just not sure if that is what I'm looking for.
Does that package come with literature and lessons?
No point in having a instructor sitting by my side if I don't know what he is talking about :P

Maybe someone here can point me in the right direction?

--
John Martin

Asus Z87-Pro,i5-4670k @ 3.8GHz, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 660 2GB DDR5,
Yoke/Throttle/pedals
John Martin

Yoke/Throttle/pedals

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Re: New trainee

Post by Great Ozzie »

John Martin wrote:I have had a look at C172 Trainer package, but I'm just not sure if that is what I'm looking for.
No point in having a instructor sitting by my side if I don't know what he is talking about :P
Hi John,

Welcome to the A2A Forum.

The "Trainer" name comes from the fact that the Cessna 172 has been used for decades as a primary trainer - both civilian and military. The A2A C172 includes both the airplane & Accu-Sim pack (no lessons etc.). It would make a great first purchase. However, you might want to search threads here - as there are discussions with respect to what folks like about the various A2A GA offerings.

Are you in the U.S.?

-Rob
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

John Martin
Airman Basic

Post by John Martin »

Great Ozzie wrote:
John Martin wrote:I have had a look at C172 Trainer package, but I'm just not sure if that is what I'm looking for.
Hi John,

The "Trainer" name comes from the fact that the Cessna 172 has been used for decades as a primary trainer - both civilian and military. The A2A C172 includes both the airplane & Accu-Sim pack (no lessons etc.). It would make a great first purchase. However, you might want to search threads here - as there are discussions with respect to what folks like about the various A2A GA offerings.

Are you in the U.S.?

-Rob
Hi and thanx for your reply!

Have been away on travel, so have not been able to play so much.

But I have found the YouTube channel to doofer911 and have started to view all of his videos. And they are really helpfull. Just can't wait to start up P3D and try it out! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
John Martin

Yoke/Throttle/pedals

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

John Martin wrote:
Great Ozzie wrote:
Hi John,

Are you in the U.S.?

-Rob
Hi and thanx for your reply!

Have been away on travel, so have not been able to play so much.

But I have found the YouTube channel to doofer911 and have started to view all of his videos. And they are really helpfull. Just can't wait to start up P3D and try it out! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What I always advise people asking your type of questions is as follows;

There is no better program you can purchase for desktop learning about flying than the A2A product. I highly recommend the 172 as the vehicle for this experience.
To augment this what you should do is invest in at least one excellent manual for student pilots. There are several available. Personally I recommend Rod Machado's excellent material available on his web site. Rod is a personal friend and perhaps the premier flight instructor on the planet.
After doing this and starting to fly the 172, as you have specific questions you have this forum. There are many CFI's, engineers, and generally knowledgeable pilots right here on the forums who will be glad to help you along your learning journey.
Dudley Henriques

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

What Dudley said!

Get the 172. Here's the link. https://a2asimulations.com/store/index. ... bd1f032595. Don't take my word for it! Download the manual here http://a2asimulations.com/public/downlo ... Manual.pdf and decide for yourself! Read the Cessna history. Check out the neat little planes that led up to the 172. I'm betting you'll get sucked in. You'll buy and download your own Cessna 172. Go through the checklists, starting on Page 51. Absorb as much as possible. This is Ground School, which you would be taking if you were getting a private pilot's license (PPL). Preflight your airplane. Fire her up and take her around the vicinity of your chose airport. Pick one near where you live, just for the fun of it. Take a trip to that airport, and watch light aircraft in the pattern. Check out the resources on this forum, FAA manuals on the Internet, and on YouTube.

What about landing? Check with the 172 flyers on this forum. Way back when I was taking lessons in a Cessna 150, you'd fly the downwind leg at about 90 mph (I'm pretty sure the airspeed indicator was in mph rather than knots) at a pattern altitude of about 1,000 feet above ground level (AGL). Then, when the end of the runway was about 45 degrees behind you, pull the carb heat and then pull the throttle back to idle. Turn the trim wheel so the airplane is in a hands off glide at 75 mph. At the "right" spot turn 90 degrees on to the base leg. The airplane is still descending at 75 mph, with the engine idling. Turn 90 degrees to final, still gliding at 75 mph. Hopefully, the airplane is heading for the end of the runway. At about 50 feet or so above the runway, you gradually ease back on the yoke, to reduce your rate of descent; you're trading airspeed to do this. The idea is to have the airplane a few inches off the runway with the stall warning just starting to beep. The last few inches come off and she touches the runway. Yeah.

Go to Skyvector https://skyvector.com/ and plan your first cross-country. Get that hunnert dollar hamburger!

Happy landings!
ATB

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”