Help with latest accu-sim aircraft for the uninitiated?

Find or share aviation knowledge
new reply
lowew79
Airman First Class

Help with latest accu-sim aircraft for the uninitiated?

Post by lowew79 »

Hi, I love the A2A product lines. The Accu-Sim planes are wonderful. However as a non real pilot I wonder about the types of aircraft and their performance?

I know the C-172 is a trainer, so its relatively slow.

Is the Cherokee 180 a trainer as well? I saw in the video it's cruise speed is 150.

If the 180 can cruise at 150, what is the cruise speed for the (I assume) faster and more powerful C-182. I know it's considered a high performance plane, but...

...How does the 182 compare to the Comanche 250? It is the only one with retractable gear right? Is it the fastest (not counting the t-6)? Does it have the furthest range and highest cruise as well? What is it's cruise speed and altitude?
If I were shopping for a real aircraft and was looking for highest performance in cruise speed, range and altitude, would the 250 be the one that you would "sell" me? I'm not including the T-6, just the GA aircraft in the lineup.

I already own the 182 and i love, I was just curious about the different niches the planes fill in the real world. Thanks

I know i could have googled this myself but I thought someone might enjoy educating me.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Help with latest accu-sim aircraft for the uninitiated?

Post by AKar »

Well, a short answer.

Nothing in particular makes any of these airplanes "trainers", and being "trainer" doesn't make the airplane slow, albeit many popular training airplanes are modestly tame. The 172 is of course a popular one, but it also makes a fine entry level touring airplane. The Cherokee is also quite popular training airplane, and the 180 hp model is slightly faster: the 172 does some 140 mph or so, and the Cherokee might give you some 150 mph or thereabouts.

The 182 is again a bit faster, doing maybe some 160...165 mph in cruise, and Comanche is again a bit faster, going above 170 mph. Of course, these depend very much on how you fly the plane. The T-6 is not particularly fast airplane, cruising similar figures to relatively tame GA airplanes, the fast ones out there clearly outpacing it.

All these GA's are quite limited in altitude performance: they are naturally aspirated, and while you still can force especially 182 and Comanche quite a bit above FL100 if you wish, they lack environmental and oxygen systems to keep you comfortable up there.

In my mind, the Cessnas and the Cherokee may represent somewhat typical GA airplanes, while the Comanche is "something different", and at least around here not too common type. Therefore, it is unlikely that you'd be comparing these specific types against each other in reality, but maybe one of them against the others in its particular category. I'd guess if Comanche's availability was different, you'd find it competing with small six-seaters: Bonanzas, 206, 210...

-Esa

lowew79
Airman First Class

Post by lowew79 »

Oh so the 250 is not pressurized? I guess I was thinking it might be in the same category as say a malibu or something. Interesting information thank you.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

No, with very few distinct expressions, most piston GAs are unpressurized. :)

Putting airplanes into specific "classes" is a bit difficult (the manufacturers of course always want to be half a class above the direct competition! :mrgreen:), but I'd say the Comanche is an old, rare, but high-performing four-seater, easily competing with lighter six-seaters, as many of those are not so 'true' six-seaters when weights come into equation. Malibu would be a clear step above; it is something sometimes called a "cabin class single", having a true cabin for four in comfort, and actual capacity for six if required. Also, Malibu is pressurized and turbocharged for high altitude operation. It is not a typical GA airplane anymore, but actually attempting to get into the range dominated by PC-12 from the above. It is not really there, but makes a decent compromise, I think.

Is there anything specific in your mind you'd like to have clarification on? Most certainly willing to try to answer. :)

-Esa

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”