The way I go through a checklist - Scan then read

Find or share aviation knowledge
new reply
Scott - A2A
A2A General

The way I go through a checklist - Scan then read

Post by Scott - A2A »

I just wanted to throw out there the way I've been doing my checklists for some time now, and it has been working out really well for several reasons. I used to pull the checklist out and read, do, read, do, read, do, etc. Or, if I had my son one would read and the other would say "check."

However, for a while now I've been going through the phase by memory, then read through the checklist to verify that it was done. For example, before taking off, I check use a cockpit scan from left to right, covering the entire panel, then low, high, and to the sides. In the Comanche, for example, I would scan across the top gauges (attitude, alt, etc.), across the radios, through the engine section on the right, start low again with the switches (beacon, fuel pump), across the fuel tanks, gear, then down for the fuel selectors, up for the elevator trim, and to the sides for the windows and doors, seatbelt. If you are Christian you can think of "the Father, Son, and the Holy spirit" after your front panel sweep (up, down, left, and right) :) THEN I take the checklist out. I run through it much faster just verifying using my short term memory that everything was done, only glancing up when I have any doubt.

What I like about this is, it's redundant. Sometimes you can read through a checklist and actually skip something (we've seen this in accident reports from the cockpit voice recorders). This way gives every item two passes.

Secondly, it is a personal test for you and how well your mind is working. The goal here is to always nail it 100% on your first scan, and not to forget anything. When I started doing this, it was more common to find things I missed, as this "test" was training my mind to be more thorough. But if you are used to getting this 100% all the time, then one day you miss a few things, that is a little personal warning to you that you may not have your "head in the game" so to speak. Maybe you are a little tired, rushed, or distracted.

The key here is to not make this process make things easier or faster, but to make everything better especially you as a pilot of that particular airplane. Knowing deep down the airplane has been properly setup also makes for a more relaxed and confident pilot, freeing your mind to fly the plane.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Re: The way I go through a checklist - Scan then read

Post by Medtner »

Interesting to hear this as I have half unconsciously developed a pattern of flows too, having the checklist as exactly what the name implies - a list to check against.

My flows aren't fully conciously developed, but I seem to remember a distinct left to right pattern. I'm sure these are different in the different airplanes.

One thing I've learned since growing into the world of Accusim is that I use the understandment of the systems as a way of developing flows and the corresponding checking of the list. Doing the read-do-read-do-read-do way can be boring and mechanical, and will make the whole thing more of a chore rather than a meaningful task.
If I understand why the various tests and verifications are done on a deeper level in the systems I feel more "at one" with the airplane, and it becomes neccessary to to them. I get instinctive itches if I feel that I've neglected a step.

Just a simple thing with the checking of the controls during the runup:

I don't just move the yoke through its various axes, but I try all extremes - full back and right for example - to check for any binding issues inside the controls. This also allows me to see if any kneeboards or similar will be in the way of the controls.
Also, I verify as much as I can the "correct" movement - visualizing the airflow around the wing and aileron, moving the yoke to the left and seeing the aileron coming up to push the wing down. This makes it very easy to spot a problem, should there for some reason be a reversing of the controls.

Flows + checklists are more fun, less static, and prone to fewer mistakes given a good understanding of the underlying systems.
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

The thing with checklist methodology is that in the end analysis as you develop a personal procedure preference the one thing you want to avoid is developing a preference based on your experience flying a particular aircraft. Doing that can become a serious problem as you fly various types.
The best procedure is to develop a flow pattern direction wise (left to right for example) as that is generic. Then back up your flow with a touch and identify where necessary.
Good pilots usually end up with a combination method.
One thing I ALWAYS suggest strongly is that no matter what method you use, for landings ALWAYS use a short list backup ON FINAL APPROACH such as a GUMPS check. NEVER forget to do that last and final check regardless of what you checked and how you checked it before making the base to final turn.
Dudley Henriques

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:The thing with checklist methodology is that in the end analysis as you develop a personal procedure preference the one thing you want to avoid is developing a preference based on your experience flying a particular aircraft. Doing that can become a serious problem as you fly various types.
The best procedure is to develop a flow pattern direction wise (left to right for example) as that is generic. Then back up your flow with a touch and identify where necessary.
One thing I ALWAYS suggest strongly is that no matter what method you use, for landings ALWAYS use a short list backup ON FINAL APPROACH such as a GUMPS check. NEVER forget to do that last and final check regardless of what you checked and how you checked it before making the base to final turn.
Dudley Henriques
Yeah, that physical touch is something I've adopted from all the Kermie-cams of Kermie Weeks. He goes over the whole cockpit several times, and it looks as if he does it every time he feels that he has forgotten only one thing - that one thing might mean others have been forgotten. And he touches all the controls/instruments to have a tactile memory of where things are.
This is difficult in the sim, but this is why I basically use the controls for only controls, and never buttons, unless they are placed in a realistic place. The mouse and the visual inspection and hovering over the buttons/dials/levers are a useful tool, even if a compromise.
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Scott - A2A wrote:[...]

Scott.
I agree completely. I have even disliked the "Read & Do" way - for me, it is cumbersome, distracting, and as you say, it misses the "check" part of it, because if you skipped a line you wouldn't notice. I've noted in some circumstances and doing certain actions, especially with very many steps, I even do worse that way than leaving the checklist out altogether - of course, I still wouldn't suggest that in flying, where steps are usually less!

Instead, this "Do & Verify" approach always works great, and in my opinion, as the idea intents. At least for me, it allows me to self-pace whatever I'm doing, and then when I think I'm all go, to go through what I've done to verify.

Also, while not strictly a checklist question, that touching of things to be checked (unless of course they are live conductors or something :mrgreen: - it depends on the circumstances!) is something I've always loved to do, especially in gliders where we had no checklist - though of course also very little items and most very obvious! A quick tap-tap-tap-tap-tap of the critical stuff brings in the muscle memory. That worked for me when doing "button checks" from the memory for more complex airplanes too. Touch the switch while saying it in your mind - and you register quite well what you're doing. I'd guess it would work very well in flying too for many people.

-Esa

bmbrzmn101
Staff Sergeant

Post by bmbrzmn101 »

Scott, you better it better than me in my checklist topic. We each develop our own ways to an aircraft and an approach to flying. The sim had allowed me to become lazy about it. Not so much with your aircraft. As I was reminded on my last flight. Keep up the good work.

Cheers, Chris
The voices in your head will quieten down when you begin listening to them!

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Medtner wrote:
DHenriquesA2A wrote:The thing with checklist methodology is that in the end analysis as you develop a personal procedure preference the one thing you want to avoid is developing a preference based on your experience flying a particular aircraft. Doing that can become a serious problem as you fly various types.
Dudley Henriques
Yeah, that physical touch is something I've adopted from all the Kermie-cams of Kermie Weeks. He goes over the whole cockpit several times, and it looks as if he does it every time he feels that he has forgotten only one thing - that one thing might mean others have been forgotten. And he touches all the controls/instruments to have a tactile memory of where things are.
This is difficult in the sim, but this is why I basically use the controls for only controls, and never buttons, unless they are placed in a realistic place. The mouse and the visual inspection and hovering over the buttons/dials/levers are a useful tool, even if a compromise.
I couldn't agree more. Actually moving your hand over the lever/switch and touching it is also the method I have adopted in RL flying. I fly a couple of different types on a more or less regular basis for a spare time PPL pilot. And it helps to adopt the left to right top to bottom check also.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

William Hughes
Senior Airman

Post by William Hughes »

The "do the worth and then verify on a list" is exactly how I handle a long IFR style checklist. The only time I'll revert to a "read-then-do" style is if something has occurred that jolts me out of the routine, or interrupts the process.

So, I have a pre-flight setup check-list. I'll prep the plane and then scan the list to see if I missed anything. Like setting the clock or turning on the spot beacon.

I have a pre-approach checklist for an IFR approach briefing. Same thing, I'll brief the approach and then scan through the list to see if I missed anything pertinent.

But I do fall back, the point of asking for delaying vectors, if I am getting pressured to do stuff in a hurry or I feel like I might have missed something, to a slow point by point check. Or if it is an unfamiliar airfield or its really turbulent or there is a pissed off pax or I am not in tip top shape or what have you.

I guess it depends. Something like the cruise checklist, where you have lots of time and there are no distractions, I'll just glance at the list once I am satisfied the plane is flying well. Generally I've forgotten to turn off the fuel pump or switch off a light or something. No big deal.

If there is a real distraction going on then that is when I have to slow down and use the check list the most. My biggest challenge is performing the approach briefing and missing something vital (like a remote altimeter setting DA adjustment or some odd minimum altitude restriction) while monitoring ATC and watching out for other aircraft and flying the ship.

DC3
Technical Sergeant

Post by DC3 »

Medtner wrote: Yeah, that physical touch is something I've adopted from all the Kermie-cams of Kermie Weeks....
Me too. In R/L I used the checklist (way before the Internet...), but after watching Kermit, I thought it was such a good idea to touch and check everything Left to Right, I started doing it. Also, I started asking before what I would expect the gauge to show or what the position or setting should be for the item. Gauges and item positions/settings are specific for different aircraft and it is important to know these things to differentiate between aircraft when doing the initial check and subsequent checks. Contrary to startup and pre-takeoff procedures, when I am preparing to land I use the approach and landing checklist first to make sure all the important stuff is handled, then follow up with the general scan as time allows, (and sometimes it doesn't).

I wonder how many people have been influenced by the Kermie Cam videos? :D

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”