pulling to the left

Find or share aviation knowledge
Wasabi65
Airman First Class

Re: pulling to the left

Post by Wasabi65 »

All calibrated and nulls/sensitivities as you described. I don't get this on other planes so I am fairly sure it is not the controller.
I always have a fat bloke in the passenger seat too, just to balance the plane a bit :lol:
Context: I have only being simming (is that an adjective?) for a couple of months. I have being doing ok on the default planes so I took the plunge to get something more 'challenging'. This plane is certainly that! ;)
Like I said before, I am slowly getting the hang of TO, but you should see my landings! I have certainly been keeping the engineer busy :lol:
ImageImage

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Wasabi65 wrote:All calibrated and nulls/sensitivities as you described. I don't get this on other planes so I am fairly sure it is not the controller.
I always have a fat bloke in the passenger seat too, just to balance the plane a bit :lol:
Context: I have only being simming (is that an adjective?) for a couple of months. I have being doing ok on the default planes so I took the plunge to get something more 'challenging'. This plane is certainly that! ;)
Like I said before, I am slowly getting the hang of TO, but you should see my landings! I have certainly been keeping the engineer busy :lol:
Could be several things but I'm guessing it might be gyroscopic precession based on what you have said.

Gyroscopic precession is programmed fairly accurately in the Accusim equipped airplanes. As you rotate on takeoff, because the rotation of the propeller disk is vertical and rotating left to right as seen from the cockpit, as the prop disk rotates vertically with you as you leave the ground, a gyroscopic force is produced 90 degrees ahead of the pitch direction which is upward. this force increases the vector on the right side of the propeller as long as the disk is moving in pitch. The difference between the two force vectors acting on both sides of the prop cause a yaw moment to the left.
Welcome to the world of Accusim! :-))))))
Dudley Henriques

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Just to tag onto Dudley's answer, here's a link to a web page which gives a basic, illustrated overview of the four "left turning tendencies" which act on (most) propeller driven aircraft...

Left Turning Tendencies: Why You Need Right Rudder To Stay On Centerline

Another article on the same forces which goes into a bit more detail is this one...

P-factor, Torque, Propwash, and Gyroscopic Precession: THE FOUR ELEMENTS OF POWER-BASED DIRECTIONAL INSTABILITY

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Wasabi65
Airman First Class

Post by Wasabi65 »

Thanks very much!
Some more reading/learning to do then. There is a lot to get my ageing head around, but fun & interesting nevertheless :)
Andrew
ImageImage

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Wasabi65 wrote:Thanks very much!
Some more reading/learning to do then. There is a lot to get my ageing head around, but fun & interesting nevertheless :)
Andrew
While you are studying up on things, just expecting the left turning forces and correcting for them as you take off with control pressures might make your sim flying a bit more enjoyable for you. In other words, rote the problem immediately then follow that up with the knowledge that completes the comprehension equation.
Dudley Henriques

smokeyupahead
Staff Sergeant

Post by smokeyupahead »

Great Ozzie wrote:Helps to use the inclinometer on turn coordinator... you can glance down at the ball to see where it is.

Great little article on use of the rudder by Budd Davisson - Choose To Fly Right (AOPA Flight Training).

-Rob
Thank you for this article.
I learned something new from it:
"A rule not to be violated: Whenever an aileron is deflected, there is unbalanced lift/drag on the wings and rudder is needed to offset the unwanted yaw. However, as soon as the bank angle is established, the ailerons should be neutralized, which means the rudder input is no longer needed. No aileron, no rudder. Period.".

NO AILERON, NO RUDDER.
Cheers,
David DD

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Well this isn't 100% true for all aircraft. On gliders you will need to use the rudder even in turns to remain coordinated due to the long wingspan causing a significant difference in airspeed between the winhtips as the aircraft turns.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”