Challenging short flights

Find or share aviation knowledge
new reply
Papalazarou
Airman
Location: Northamptonshire, England (About 5 miles from Sywell ICAO: EGBK)

Challenging short flights

Post by Papalazarou »

Hi all,

If people have a favorite short flight which proves challenging either because of the location of the runway or general weather conditions, I'd love to get the airport codes to try them out. By short I mean a max of 30 mins or so.

I'd welcome your suggestions.

Many thanks,
Jamie.

Dooga
Staff Sergeant

Re: Challenging short flights

Post by Dooga »

Seconded - my flying time budget also is limited, so interesting short hop flight tips would be appreciated. Also nice scenic ones (ORBX).

Trying to think of any routes I know, that are challenging, but no good ideas - there is a nice addon for the Frisian isles airports, from SIM720, landings can be interesting with lots of wind, and some of these strips are quite short, so getting through these in 30 mins might be a nice challenge.

mgr
Staff Sergeant

Post by mgr »

Hiya,

One of my favourites:

Scenery -> FlyTampa St. Maarten complete:

TNCM <-> TFFJ (St. Barths, nice dive approach to the runway over a hill)
TNCM <-> TNCS (Saba) shorted commercial runway off the world

Marcel

SWood7
Airman

Post by SWood7 »

Minam River Lodge (7OR0) in Eastern Oregon is a pretty neat approach. If you fly up from the south, you have to make a tight left turn in a valley. Coming in from the north is a bit easier as evidenced by the video. There are plenty of airports around Minam that would only be a 30-45 minute flight. I can make it in about 30 minutes in our Cherokee 235 from Pendleton, OR. There are a ton of really cool strips in Eastern Oregon/Washington and Western Idaho that I find myself constantly bouncing around to. It's fun for me because I can fly there in Flight Sim to get an idea of the area, then my wife and I fly to some of the places I find in real life. But lots of cool places out this way if you're so inclined, though I'm a bit biased. :D

Edit: Forgot the video. :oops:
https://vimeo.com/938494
Sean Wood

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

Some other challenging airports in the vicinity of 7OR0 that Sean recommended, at least using Orbx PNW...

You can head east and make a teardrop round-robin heading to Krassel (24K) as far east as Bernard (U54) then south to Thomas Creek (2U8). There are a number of challenging airports in that area.
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

William Hughes
Senior Airman

Post by William Hughes »

Nelson, BC to Castlegar, BC. Try that VFR with a 2,500 foot ceiling and six miles vis in rain.

Another short flight is CYNJ to CYYJ IFR via HUH and YYJ at 6,000 feet. You will be on the radio a lot.

Pincher Creek, AB to Cranbrook, BC via the Crowsnest Pass.

Golden, BC to Banff, AB via the Kickinghorse pass.

Also, you could try Chilliwack, BC to Pemberton, BC, or:
Squamish, BC to Pemberton, BC via Whistler.

spork
Staff Sergeant

Post by spork »

I have a one more for the PNW ORBX scenery. VFR naturally.

Also Vantage airport and "My" airport in Elma (no joke that's actually the name) are fun to fly into in the Piper Cub.
ImageImage
ImageImage

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

William Hughes wrote:Nelson, BC to Castlegar, BC. Try that VFR with a 2,500 foot ceiling and six miles vis in rain.
Oh yes...I attempted something similar (65S to Castlegar) not that long ago in even worse conditions. That's one fun part of the sim - one can increase the challenge (and take advantage of the stuff that makes the sim easier than reality in a few aspects) by attempting those very things that should make us to stay on ground. :)

-Esa

Jeffryintveld
Airman First Class

Post by Jeffryintveld »

I did a flight of 30 minutes across the scottish hills with some good moderate winds, good area for a small one prop plane.

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”