Crossing International Borders

Find or share aviation knowledge
new reply
spork
Staff Sergeant

Crossing International Borders

Post by spork »

Hi all,

I've been doing some flights into and out of Canada and Mexico from the Western U.S. So far I have just been planning and flying them like any other flight, but I was wondering if there are any special procedures that have to be observed when crossing borders?
ImageImage
ImageImage

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Re: Crossing International Borders

Post by Great Ozzie »

For sure, for sure.

see here: http://www.aopa.org/Flight-Planning

Links there for both Mexico and Canada.
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

William Hughes
Senior Airman

Post by William Hughes »

That is a great link. It is a pain in the neck to obtain all the paperwork and plan the flight. It is actually quite simple to do it.

If you are not landing in Canada from the US, but just crossing into foreign airspace and back, then all you need is to be on a flight plan, in contact with ATC, and have an assigned transponder code. You don't need to do any special notifications or anything.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

I'll be doing this is a couple of weeks on Oct 10th. Flying into CYTZ and back and I just got my FCC Restricted Radiotelephone operator license for it.

I love the test for the license.

1) What is you name?
2) Are you a US citizen?
3) Can you maintain a rough logbook?
4) Do you have a pulse?
5) What is your quest?
6) What is your favorite color?

That'll be $65 please... :)

It looks fairly easy once all the paperwork is out of the way. I think I'd be more concerned with flying into the DC SFRA which I intend to do fairly soon too.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

Oracle427 wrote:I think I'd be more concerned with flying into the DC SFRA which I intend to do fairly soon too.
Man you making me jealous here.

Watched / read a bunch of stuff on that recently i.e. going into the Maryland 3 and getting vetted and all.

Have you picked which airport you want to go into?
William Hughes wrote:That is a great link.
Glad you liked that, William.

Yeah, AOPA has a lot of great stuff.
Rob Osborne
A & P Mechanic

Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

KANP. I usually stop by Mike's Crab House to have some blue crab when I'm down that way and it is a short ride from the airport. :)
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

Oracle427 wrote:KANP. I usually stop by Mike's Crab House to have some blue crab when I'm down that way and it is a short ride from the airport. :)
Ah ha... nice intro to the SFRA.

Man... I used to think Restricted Airspace was bad. Now just a piece-o-cake... especially in light of the DC airspace.

Here you go, Oracle... you might enjoy this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P7CIAAjvfc
Rob Osborne
A & P Mechanic

spork
Staff Sergeant

Post by spork »

Thanks for the link Ozzie. Looks like the only thing I can really simulate is landing at a Customs approved airport first stop and being in contact with ATC. I'll leave all the paperwork for the real pilots. :wink:
ImageImage
ImageImage

SWood7
Airman

Post by SWood7 »

Oracle427 wrote:I'll be doing this is a couple of weeks on Oct 10th. Flying into CYTZ and back and I just got my FCC Restricted Radiotelephone operator license for it.

I love the test for the license.

1) What is you name?
2) Are you a US citizen?
3) Can you maintain a rough logbook?
4) Do you have a pulse?
5) What is your quest?
6) What is your favorite color?

That'll be $65 please... :)

It looks fairly easy once all the paperwork is out of the way. I think I'd be more concerned with flying into the DC SFRA which I intend to do fairly soon too.
The DC stuff isn't really too difficult once you wade through the info. I never ended up flying light GA out in that area though. My favorite approach that I have ever flown anywhere in the world is the River Visual into DCA. When I was with my first airline I had almost a whole month of DCA trips and got to do it quite a bit. I have to say that it was amazing every single time. You'll definitely enjoy the experience and be sure to take some pictures if you're able!
Sean Wood

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

SWood7 wrote:My favorite approach that I have ever flown anywhere in the world is the River Visual into DCA. When I was with my first airline I had almost a whole month of DCA trips and got to do it quite a bit. I have to say that it was amazing every single time. You'll definitely enjoy the experience and be sure to take some pictures if you're able!
That is something I missed out on before 9/11. That must have been a real treat for you to fly in there. Something I have on the bucket list - but don't believe it will ever happen even as a practice / low approach.

There's a mandatory "Special Flight Rules Awareness Training" course one has to take prior to operating VFR within 60nm of the DCA VOR. In the course it says that access to KDCA is limited to Part 121/129 "DCA Approved Carriers". It appears very strict who can go in. I think it's possible for 91 operators to get in (i.e. become authorized) but it has something to do with being granted specific access by the TSA.

One can fly into into the Maryland 3 (inside the FRZ)... and that is something I would like to one day try a few times.

-Rob

(welcome btw spork)
Rob Osborne
A & P Mechanic

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”