Understanding the Basics of Leaning

Find or share aviation knowledge
AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Understanding the Basics of Leaning

Post by AKar »

Hi all,

While this has been discussed over and over during the last few years of Accusim, things like 'optimal mixture', EGT references, absolute and relative temperatures still seem to confuse many. This is very understandable, because we often seek to follow written procedures to the letter (in many cases even creating a sort of procedure dependency), but the real-life written procedures that concern the leaning are often ambiguous, conflicting themselves, and offering little to none background and help in understanding the topic.

I've been doing some preliminary work to write some clean articles based on the discussions we've had on these forums over the years, but as I'm yet to find a peaceful moment to finish even a one of them, I write this quick and easy post to help with very basics should one find those confusing. What I write here applies to any properly simulated non-supercharged, fixed ignition timing airplane piston engine that burns avgas. That is, in practice, any Lycoming or Continental engine of O or IO series. While much of it applies to (turbo-)supercharged engines too (TIO and TSIO series), I don't consider the few important differences in this post, so let us just leave them out of discussion for time being!

1. Those Confusing Procedures!

So far in the fleet of Accusim, we've got four different GA engines, which all are slight variations of two basic models. What are the differences in between them that we must understand when leaning them? Would you check their respective manuals to be sure? Don't bother, I can save you some time: essentially, there are no differences at all. While the manuals kind of cherry-pick some bits from engine manufacturer's recommendations, they often don't help that much in understanding the process of leaning, instead throwing in some confusing advices to lean 50°F lean of peak EGT for economy cruise while in some other page mentioning the peak EGT for maximum economy....what? Which one is it? The answer is neither. It is easy to fool oneself with these lines, thinking that they contain some guarantee of best practice which is, in reality, not present.

In all the manuals out there, for most casual purposes there is just one graph, guideline, procedure, that one truly wants to know by heart. It can be found in several forms, below you can see it how Lycoming publishes it (the graph can easily be found from the internet so I take the liberty to post Lycoming's graph here):

The simplified picture here is really almost everything you need to know! It shows the relationships between the different engine parameters when any of our GA engines is ran at constant MP and RPM, while varying the mixture. Take a good look at it, and make sure you understand all the parameters. All of them are of special interest to us.

2. Leaning For Best Power

If for some reason (such as high altitude climb) you want to extract as much power from the engine as possible, then you'd had to lean the engine some, because the overly rich mixture when at full-rich is not optimal for our case. When having a fixed-pitch propeller, or a constant speed propeller at underspeed like when on the ground at partial power, this mixture for best power can be found by leaning until the engine peaks in RPM. There is no need to fiddle with EGT gauge in that case.

However, if you are in climb already for instance in an airplane with a constant speed prop, and therefore unable to find the peak RPM, then you can note how the EGT at that specific mixture compares to the peak value achievable. It is some 150°F rich from peak EGT. So, to lean for best power by using EGT reference, you'd find how high you'll get the EGT (find the peak), and then set the reference needle to that position (or in Comanche you'd note the figure). After that, you'd enrich the mixture so that the EGT needle comes down 150°F short of that value. In Cessnas, that's 6 tick marks below the peak value, each tick representing approximately 25°F.

Note that what the absolute EGT value happens to be is meaningless! In Cessnas you don't even know it except by cheating with tooltips, but it doesn't matter in the Comanche either. All that you care is the peak position of the needle, and how far you set the needle after finding that position!

Of note is the CHT graph. The CHT is the best indicator of the engine temperature we've got here, and high CHTs are one of our 'worst enemies' from the point of view of the cylinder and valve service life. Note that the mixture setting that results in best power is actually giving us cooler engine than some of the settings that are leaner than that! The best power mixture setting is, from that point of view, not that hard on the engine, while the economy (indicated by the specific fuel consumption graph) lacks some when compared to further leaning.

3. Leaning For Best Economy

If we want the best possible fuel economy, then instead of where the power graph peaks, we would find where the specific fuel consumption graph is at its lowest. That area is immediately on the lean side of the peak EGT. So to get there, we in principle would find where the EGT needle peaks, and lean just a bit more after that. How beautifully simple!

Of note is that the produced power drops quite sharply, so we wouldn't want to get too far to the lean side, for we'd be sacrificing our performance very quickly. Likewise, it is nice to see how the engine temps start to drop quickly as we lean further! While the EGTs stay relatively high, the CHTs that actually matter drop much faster. Flying with lean enough mixture results in nicely cool CHTs!

4. Why It Runs Roughly?

In practice however, getting the best possible economy from our engines is not that simple. Typically, if we attempt to lean them to the peak EGT and beyond, we'll encounter rough running. Why is that? The answer lies in the graph too! Again, note how the power drops sharply on the lean side of the peak EGT when compared to the rich side. What we must realize is that our imperfect fuel distribution results in that the actual mixture we achieve varies between the cylinders. Some run leaner than others, and that's why when the leanest cylinders go beyond the peak EGT, they start to loose power when compared to the cylinders that are still running somewhat richer. That uneven power production among the cylinders is what results in rough running! If we had a perfect mixture distribution, then the engine would just loose power while running smooth when we lean it further, however, in most engines just some of the cylinders start to loose power at first, resulting in roughness.

In practice this limits how much we can lean, and for maximum economy, especially in carburetted engines where the fuel mixture distribution is much worse than in fuel-injected ones, the valid method is to lean the engine until it runs rough and then enrich as little as is required for smooth, comfortable running engine. What kind of mixture would that leaning by ear produce? We can take an educated guess, again, by just looking the graph we've got. Likely the leanest cylinders would be somewhere where the produced power starts to fall quickly. This is just at the borderline of smooth running. If our EGT gauge indicates the leanest cylinder, then it would indicate slightly under the peak EGT, and on the lean side we'd be. How lean we can get depends on how the other cylinders follow - in A2A engines the mixture distribution is relatively good, so they likely follow quite closely, and their individual EGTs would likely group up at around peak EGT or so.

5. Leaning For The Worst Possible Engine Temperatures

You can by now easily check that the highest CHTs, or engine temps, occur at around 25-50°F rich of peak EGT. Does that sound familiar? By following that weird recommendation in many manuals you'd make it certain that you've got the hottest cylinders possible at given MP and RPM! Still many of us take a great deal of trouble to precisely set their engines at that very setting! Temps wise it would help to go either way from there, either by leaning for better economy or by enriching some for performance. Think about it.

But there is more to the point than blaming procedures. Remember what I wrote about the cylinders running at different mixtures in practice? This actually hides the reason why leaning for best economy is a bit difficult subject when running at very high cruise powers especially. If we had a perfect mixture distribution, we could indeed fly at very high cruise power and lean a good deal to the lean side of the peak EGT, resulting in nice and cool engine and great economy. However, because of our less than perfect mixture distribution, the smooth running criteria often encountered forces us to remain quite close to the peak EGT when we are seeking for the best economy. This results sometimes unavoidably in that at least some of the cylinders are running at around the hottest possible settings, some 25-50°F rich of peak while the leaner cylinders operate comfortably lean of peak. So, some possible overheating issues of individual cylinders may be expected, and the reason is not that we run too lean - but our inability to get those cylinders lean enough!

Again, it is important to note that we've only got information from a single cylinder in a form of EGT and from the same or another cylinder as a CHT reading. We don't know how the other cylinders are doing, except by guessing and feeling for and listening for other minute signs.

-Esa

awash2002
A2A ACE

Re: Understanding the Basics of Leaning

Post by awash2002 »

This is just what I needed

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

awash2002 wrote:This is just what I needed
I was just thinking the exact same thing for you and all these questions about EGT. Great when things like this come together. Thanks Esa for taking the time to post this.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

It is and I am now at 1400EGT and 380CHT

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

I might add just one thing, to be fair to the folks who've written the POHs for the real life counterparts of these planes. I often take a little bit hard approach to the recommendation of running at 50°F rich of peak as is often written to the manuals, pointing out how it is the worst possible setting in practice to be temperatures wise.

I've sometimes wondered why it is still insisted by the manufacturers. It is often said that it likely is to give nice airspeed and range figures to the brochure, however there is a bit more in it. If we assume the EGT figure displayed in the cockpit is representative of the 'hottest cylinder' typically shown on the CHT gauge, then by leaning to 50°F rich of peak EGT we can be reasonably certain that no other cylinder will be hotter than the one monitored by the CHT gauge. This is because that cylinder, even with everything equal, would be the hottest due to cooling considerations, it must certainly be the hottest if we specifically set the mixture of it to the worst possible setting. No matter whether the other cylinders run leaner or richer, they will remain below the CHT value indicated. If we didn't do that, but set the cylinder that is monitored by CHT gauge to some very lean of peak setting while accepting the rough running, or perhaps to some relatively rich setting, then there is a possibility that some other, unmonitored cylinder, runs at that 50°F rich of peak setting or so, making it actually to run a bit hotter than the cylinder we actually monitor without our knowledge. Even if we keep the monitored cylinder 'green' (the high end of which is considered unacceptably hot for continued operation nowadays no matter being within limits!), there will be no guarantee that none of the other cylinders would actually be hotter.

The above is obviously quite academic consideration, however, for the sake of completeness it should be mentioned.

-Esa

Levkovvvv
Staff Sergeant

Post by Levkovvvv »

Another thing worth mentioning when discussing fuel/air mixtures is that someone with chemistry knowledge usually mentions the term "stoichiometric mixture" which is, theoretically, the point of most efficient combustion where every combustion machine should be kept. For petroleum based fuels, that fuel/air ratio is somewhere around 0.066-0.0675. That mixture also provides the hottest flame temperature (around 2500 kelvins).

Now in practice, you can run your Bunsen burner or your oxyacetylene torch at (or extremely near) "ideal" mixture, but when it comes to engines (piston or turbine), stoichiometric mixtures are impossible. With piston engines, as Esa mentioned, you have fuel mixing that isn't perfect, plus you have spark plug ignition which means your mixture doesn't start burning at the same time, and doesn't burn evenly throughout the cylinder. When we also factor in limited time we have for combustion (on a 4 stroke engine running at 3000 rpm, a single combustion cycle lasts 0.01 seconds), it is almost impossible to precisely calculate required fuel quantity, and that is why we rely on temperatures when setting the mixture.

With turbine engine, you have constant combustion, plus systems that ensure proper (if not perfect) fuel distribution (I won't go into details on simplex/duplex nozzles and other jet stuff, suffice to say mixture in combustion chamber can be set much more accurately than on a piston engine), so in theory you could have stoichiometric mixture, but high temperatures of such mixture would melt your turbine blades, so you are mostly governed by temperature limits when dealing with mixture.
Image Владимир Левков / Vladimir Levkov
Aviation is proof that, given the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Without getting into technicalities before we get an A2A turboprop, one interesting thing that may help some to understand one important difference in between (most) gasoline engines and diesel / gas turbine engines is that the throttle in diesel and gas turbine is functionally exactly the same as the mixture lever is in gasoline engine! In its simplest form, the fuel control unit in a gas turbine is a mechanical flow valve that controls the amount of fuel flow - the mixture lever even in fuel-injected Lycomings with Bendix RSA fuel injector servos does exactly the same: it controls a size of an opening through which the fuel must flow, restricting or allowing for the flow. In diesels and in gas turbines, where excess air is always present, the fuel flow directly affects the engine output (within reasonable limits), however, in gasoline engines it is the amount of air entering into the engine that is controlled by a throttle valve, and the amount of fuel is, for most of the time, controlled to relatively narrow range. Why it needs to be done differently is that the combustible mixture is formed locally in diesels and gas turbines (within the fuel spray pattern), but in the gasoline engines the mixture is pre-mixed during the intake and compression cycles.

-Esa

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Esa,

Thanks for taking the time to post this. Even though I'm an enthusiastic advocate of the 'lean by ear approach' (primarily because I'm too lazy to get those performance charts out), developing a better understanding of this stuff is always useful. Your post follows on nicely from some of the Mike Busch articles I've read previously. Actually, none of the stuff I've read before has included that graph as far as I can recall. As suggested, I shall now commit it to memory... Well, I'll endeavour to at any rate! :mrgreen:

Of course, reading sections 4 and 5 of your original post reignites that hankering for a simulated probe-per-cylinder digital engine monitor. That's if/when the Accu-Sim 'under the hood' stuff evolves to the stage where it'd be possible. :wink:

Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Levkovvvv
Staff Sergeant

Post by Levkovvvv »

I am personally not a fan of saturating the pilot with excessive information, especially in single engine airplanes that are usually flown with only 1 pilot, it is all too easy for you to suddenly become the flight engineer of your airplane and not the pilot. I remember a topic a long time ago on the 377 subforum that was also about mixture settings, and people were talking about setting the mixture super accurately using tooltips in manual lean mode, and arguing over which setting is better, when in reality, you can never move the lever that accurately or set 2 levers on 2 engines to same setting with that precision. So while knowing the temperature of specific cylinder might be interesting for engine maintenance, I don't think it is a smart idea to do it in flight. There is a reason why modern jetliners measure so many parameters and only display the most important ones to the pilot, the rest is for engineers on ground to analyze. Even your car's OBD (I assume you have something newer than 1996) measures tons of data and only displays RPM, speed, coolant temp, and fuel economy to the driver.
Aviation is proof that, given the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Indeed, I would not want my grave marker to say, "... He always ran with the most optimal mixture..."

There are many more much higher priority tasks for a pilot such as see and avoid, or just flying the airplane for that matter.

The time spent leaning the engine should be brief and enough to ensure smooth operation without overheating and to avoid consuming fuel at an excessive rate while in cruise. It should only take a couple of seconds once one has done the procedure a few times.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

TJ1376
Airman First Class

Post by TJ1376 »

Think we could get GAMI injectors as an option in our A2A birds? Then we can really experience some smooth running LOP. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Re. engine monitors and an issue of having too much data. While agreeing partly on some principles, I totally disagree on the comparison with indication philosophy on modern airlines. Totally! :)

The reason is that they are not comparable! The airliners are rather thoroughly instrumented, monitored, documented and supported. They are specifically evolved and created to be operated with closely to zero technical intelligence. Even to the point where using of anything except a few bold font computed values and written and undersigned procedures is actively discouraged. If it is not in the book, the pilot is not expected to be able to deal with it, and it not being in that book but still turning out to be relevant is a certification issue. Because otherwise we would need that loosely defined thing of airmanship, and even worse, if it was needed, then someone would need to get paid for it. :mrgreen:

The SEP airplane is a flying lawnmower. It is a whole different thing to an airliner in that with these planes and engines the reduction of shown data (like is the starting point with classic instrumentation) is not showing only the necessary, but quite certainly ignoring it. This is precisely the reason (or at least I hope it is!) the modern Garmin G1000 installations for example do monitor individual cylinders to some extend. It actually is benefitial, and with surprisingly little extra trouble anyone can be trained to spot the issues with a good engine monitor, just from the fact that the faulty cylinder is out of the norm. Getting saturated with the information that is shown is actually, in my opinion, the lesser of the devils when the other one is getting surprised by a fault that is never properly indicated to you. Understanding of the data can be gained, but information not displayed is lost in ether.

Edit: of course I'm kidding about the airliners, however, what is joke to me unfortunately appears to be near-future Nirvana for the certifying authorities..

-Esa

Levkovvvv
Staff Sergeant

Post by Levkovvvv »

My opinion (and it is backed by a couple of local CFITs with light aircraft equipped with G1000s in the last couple of years) is that when you take an average weekend pilot and give him lots of shiny displays and electronic toys, he will start to operate the aircraft with close to zero technical intelligence thinking he is sitting in an a320 instead of a lawnmower. If you are provided with abundance of information and are trained and mentally capable to sort through it and use it properly, it will be beneficial, but it can also confuse, distract, or give you a false sense of security. I will mention (and yes, it is an airliner) the crash of Eastern Air Lines flight 401 which is a grim remainder of what can happen when you get distracted by troubleshooting minor issues.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

The Eastern guys were troubleshooting a faulty lamp. I'd say it was hardly a case of too much information being presented, but rather a one of deficient annunciation system design and just forgetting to aviate.

I'm not much of a fan of modern glass cockpit design, especially of G1000, and touchscreens seem even worse. Still, this is because they involve rather clumsy user interaction, whereas engine monitor does not. I really say that showing information instead of hiding it is the way to go, especially when the information may be important and relevant. Note that a full engine monitor will not requre any additional effort whatsoever - it can be a purely indicative device. It is stupid how we religiously note the importance of preflight runups where even a serious fault on a six can be less noticeable than a harmless fouled plug on four, while at the same time would retain from using some tools that give a clear, visual representation of many of these issues because it would be too much to comprehend.

-Esa

Levkovvvv
Staff Sergeant

Post by Levkovvvv »

Eastern 401 demonstrates how easy it is to get distracted from flying even when you have a full crew of 3, and this is a lone pilot we are talking about. Showing information is good if you teach the person using it how to interpret it. The problem nowadays is that your average european private pilot is a middle to upper middle class overworked constantly tired guy who bought a VLA or some second hand GA bird and had training in the cheapest available flight school and flies maybe 6-7 weekends a year. And when you give an engine monitor to that person, he will spend about 15-30% of his brain power wondering why his #3 cylinder is running 15 degrees hotter than his #1. I agree with you that a monitor is a useful tool for a well trained well practiced pilot who has a good understanding of the internal workings of his airplane. But little over a month ago, we were pulling a pioneer 200 off a 115 kilovolt power line because the pilot and his passenger were too busy staring at the cgr wondering why one cylinder ran a bit hotter.

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”