Landing at 8,500 ft Density Altitude - NorCal - C182 Skylane

Find or share aviation knowledge
new reply
Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Landing at 8,500 ft Density Altitude - NorCal - C182 Skylane

Post by Paughco »

Guys: Since starting out with my A2A aircraft (J-3 and P-40), my interest in real world flying has been rekindled. I have stumbled on to the series "Flight Chops" on YouTube. Here is the latest installment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0S8ymxmtwE

One of the interesting things I got out of this is the tendency of a 182 to land on the nose wheel. The IP said that the first thing a mechanic looks at when checking over a 182 is the firewall, for deformation caused by nose-first landing.

Seeya
ATB

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Landing at 8,500 ft Density Altitude - NorCal - C182 Sky

Post by n421nj »

Hmm guess that's something to be mindful of when landing.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Landing at 8,500 ft Density Altitude - NorCal - C182 Sky

Post by DHenriques_ »

n421nj wrote:Hmm guess that's something to be mindful of when landing.
For the actual 182 this is just a matter of the sight picture through the windshield over a somewhat "heftier" cowl up front. It's really not a big deal at all and adjusting for this would be part and parcel of any GOOD checkout given to a pilot flying a 182. There are many airplanes in the medium to heavyweight category that require a bit more back pressure on landing. There is a lot of weight up front in these airplanes. This is why pilots transitioning into them find that TRIM is so important on landings. Properly trimmed for the landing configuration present for THAT landing, nose attitude on a 182 should be no more difficult to handle than a 172.
It's all about PROPER flying technique and not about anything "special" involving these airplanes.
Accusim handles all this quite properly and you will find that proper trim is just as important in the sim as in the real airplane. You can of course land either the real 182 or the sim 182 out of proper trim but doing it right makes the job a LOT easier.
Dudley Henriques

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”