digital - Terminal Procedures Publication

Find or share aviation knowledge
new reply
Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

digital - Terminal Procedures Publication

Post by Great Ozzie »

A couple months ago, AOPA posted an article: FAA releases list of instrument approaches to be eliminated (over 700 of them).

As a result, I decided to order (for $16.45) the digital - Terminal Procedures Publication which is an electronic version of the printed 26 volume U.S. Terminal Procedures Publication (TPP) written on DVD media. Searching, viewing, printing and downloading all of civilian and military (including military HIGH procedures) U.S. terminal procedures in PDF format are possible through d-TPP. The d-TPP coverage area includes the United States (including Alaska and Hawaii), Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, and Pacific Territories.

I just got the DVD today, and played with it a bit. It's pretty cool. I used to download these .pdf charts individually. Then I'd rename them to keep track of what I had. As a result, they are scattered around the drive. With the dvd it's one-stop shopping (lookup) now. You can download all the charts right after ordering, but the browser interface is only on the DVD. The interface is nice (simple) but "prefers" using Explorer (example of what it looks like on the d-TPP link above). Seemed to work ok in Firefox & Chrome.

The real reason I ordered these, besides making things easier on myself, :P was due to the fact these approaches are drying up / disappearing -- our FSX database is basically what it is from 2006 -- and I'd like to practice some of the older approaches (NDB etc.) before GPS displaces any more of them.

-Rob
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”