C172 circuit flying - Am i doing it right?/Questions

Find or share aviation knowledge
zenrael
Airman Basic

Re: C172 circuit flying - Am i doing it right?/Questions

Post by zenrael »

Thanks for the replies, especially those who have taken the time to go into such detail - it really is appreciated. I just need to put the advice into practice now until i'm getting some better results! In particular i was obviously adding flaps 10 at the wrong point (on base, i'll now be doing it abeam), and spending far too much time worrying about hitting the glideslope when i should have been more concerned with my airspeed and a reasonable glidepath to the touchdown point. I'll also be practicing initial climbs at both Vx and Vy as suggested by oracle, and waiting until i hit a lower altitude for flaps 30 as suggested by ozzie. Keeping the runway halfway up the wing strut whilst downwind is another good idea i'll give a try, and the standard overhead join diagram linked by ozzie is also really useful with me being in the UK. I noticed that my local airport only gives a maximum permitted pattern altitude, and that this is at the discretion of the controller, so its good to see that the 'standard' is still 1000ft in the UK, and i'll practice with that until i move to other airports. I'll also try the TO with no flaps.

So, yeah! This thread has really cleared up a few things for me and I have a much clearer idea of what i should be doing. I've created a little cheat-sheet using some of the numbers in this thread until i've nailed it.

Oh, just one question... It's been suggested i keep flaps at 20 until low enough to ensure i make the runway threshold with no engine if necessary, then go to flaps 30 and idle/low power... Prior to this point i reckon i'll be at about 70kias, but should i maintain that speed with flaps at 30? I'm guessing in order to keep the touchdown point in the same position i'll need to lose airspeed, or the nose will naturally pitch up with the increased lift - am i right?

Anyway, thanks a lot all. Good little forum, this!

John

jacenbourne
Airman

Post by jacenbourne »

In the 172, I pitch for 60-65 KIAS with 30 degrees of flaps on final, then power to idle when I have the runway made. DO NOT get below 60! That's stall/spin zone! Remember, don't let the airplane balloon when you put down more flaps. Flaps do two things - create drag, and create lift. Both of which will pitch the airplane's nose up as the flaps come down. In an approach, you want to maintain a constant (or as close as you can) rate of descent, so be prepared to increase forward pressure as you put out a notch of flaps to keep the nose down, to keep that rate of descent and to keep your airspeed at 75/70/65/60, wherever in the pattern you may be.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Great Ozzie wrote:
jacenbourne wrote:TheGreatOzzie, here's the FAA info for KABI: http://aeronav.faa.gov/afd/30apr2015/sc ... PR2015.pdf
Thanks very much! Excellent example of knowing why such and such TPA (right out of the A/FD).

I understand what you mean about "landing on a pinhead". There's a similar sized airport near me - 6I4, Boone County (3600X30). Long, but wow... did it always feel *so* narrow (if the wings don't fit, why am I landing here? :mrgreen: ).
C'mon now, this is a button!

http://www.airnav.com/airport/N72

It looks worse than it is. :) Note how the lake laps at the edge of the asphalt runway. I've only been there once and took a picture from the shore. I have to go back sometime. :)
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

uncertifiedpilot
Airman

Post by uncertifiedpilot »

I created a graphical summary of the traffic pattern for the 182T some time ago ...
Perhaps this might also be useful to 172 pilots?

http://uncertifiedpilot.com/prepar3d-bl ... essna-182/
Getting Instrument Rated in flight simulator: uncertifiedpilot.com
Watch me fly live on Twitch at twitch.tv/uncertifiedpilot
My A2A student checklists: C172 student checklist | C182 student checklist

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

For the basics, yes its very useful :)

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”