Dudley's tip for the day :-)

Find or share aviation knowledge
new reply
DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Dudley's tip for the day :-)

Post by DHenriques_ »

Someone wrote me a note asking about power reduction after takeoff in non supercharged constant speed propeller driven piston airplanes.
What I have always done is this;
If your airplane calls for a power reduction after takeoff, follow the normal procedure of MP first then RPM, but instead of reducing the MP to the recommended climb setting, reduce it to one inch ABOVE that setting then reduce the RPM to the recommended setting.
By doing this, as you pass through your first thousand feet your MP should reduce to the recommended setting and complete the climb reduction for you.
By doing this you eliminate the extra step involved with adjusting the MP twice on initial climb thus allowing a better and more efficient post takeoff cockpit cleanup time line.

Just an old pro's trick for newbies :-))
Dudley Henriques

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Dudley's tip for the day :-)

Post by Scott - A2A »

As always Dudley, great advice.

My Comanche doesn't call for a power reduction right after takeoff, but I do the very same thing you suggest here. After my gear is up and climbing through 500 agl, I pull power back to about 25", then RPM to 2,400 and that keeps me climbing nicely through 2,000 ft where I check the engine temps (CHT's) and if they're cool enough, I can start adding power back. If in a very warm climate, I leave the power and may pull back a bit of RPM and lower the nose, into a faster, more shallow cruise climb.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Sounds good, practical advice. :)

I have basically evolved two ways of climbing in the sim (that is, with Skylane), choice of which depends on the altitude I expect to be climbing.

First is, if climbing to moderately low altitude, a smallish reduction in MP that I roughly estimate to be slightly above my final cruise throttle position (physical throttle position, not MP), and a slight reduction in RPM thereafter.

If climbing to altitudes at around 7000 or higher, I just leave the throttle full in where it stays during cruise and reduce RPM just a bit while climbing higher (down to ~2300 perhaps).

-Esa

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Thanks for the tip Dudley, please do feel free to do regular weekly tips hehe :D

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Oliver Branaschky
Senior Airman

Post by Oliver Branaschky »

Lewis - A2A wrote:... please do feel free to do regular weekly tips ...
I would totally second that :-)

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Thanks for the tip Dudley, please do feel free to do regular weekly tips hehe :D

cheers,
Lewis
WHS :D
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

sahararover
Airman

Post by sahararover »

Dear Mr. Enriques,

You're already 3 days behind on your "tip of the day" :mrgreen:

Now on an serious note, it's a huge honor to have an aviator like yourself sharing the knowledge on this forum.

Thank you!

William Hughes
Senior Airman

Post by William Hughes »

Same here - I can't find anything in writing about it but I was shown to reduce to 25" and 2400 once I was a few hundred feet up in the PA-250. Keeps the climb rate reasonable and calms everything down. I'll have to look at the CHT next time as I generally don't look at that until I am doing cruise checks.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

William Hughes wrote:Same here - I can't find anything in writing about it but I was shown to reduce to 25" and 2400 once I was a few hundred feet up in the PA-250. Keeps the climb rate reasonable and calms everything down. I'll have to look at the CHT next time as I generally don't look at that until I am doing cruise checks.
Good idea to check your CHT while in the climb after takeoff. You're developing a lot of power then and if your climb angle is a bit high you can be losing valuable airflow due to the angle of attack on the engine intake venting.
Once in cruise you pick up a lot of airflow through the cowling and some cooling as a result. This assumes your power has been set correctly of course. :-)
Dudley Henriques

William Hughes
Senior Airman

Post by William Hughes »

Sometimes there is a courtesy aspect about built up areas around airfields as well. My current home base is surrounded by people's houses and is quite dense. Three out of four departures from runways have noise abatement procedures, one of which involves a 40 degree turn generally below 400 feet. Reduced power can drop the noise a lot.

Added the CHT to the climb check!

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”