Is there a way to practice partial panel IFR in the Cherokee

Find or share aviation knowledge
new reply
Cherokee180owner
Airman

Is there a way to practice partial panel IFR in the Cherokee

Post by Cherokee180owner »

Is there a way to turn off/block some of the primary instruments in order to practice partial panel IFR?

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Is there a way to practice partial panel IFR in the Cher

Post by AKar »

I don't think there is atm. I wonder if texture gurus here could figure out something such as non-transparent gauge glasses.

One thing on my official wishlist one day when viable would be an addition of a failure customization editor for at least the P3D lineup, perhaps as an additional product that would cover the fleet.

-Esa

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Although it's not possible to 'cover' instruments, you can still use the default FSX failures menu to fail them. (I assume this is much the same in P3D.) You can either fail individual instruments or the whole gyro system for example. As far as I can see, in spite of the custom Accu-Sim coding, these failures still work (or, er, don't work as it were :wink:).

System dependency also seems pretty authentic. If you fail the turn coordinator, the custom A2A rate-based autopilot will no longer function properly and you'll tend to end up at a rather alarming bank angle if you try to use it for turns! (Same goes for the KAP 140 in the Cessnas.) This is not the case for the 'relaxed realism' default MS autopilot which carries-on working fine regardless...

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Ah good to know - I haven't even tried the default failures as they were recommended against, but good to know that these work. :)

-Esa

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Yes - it's not a part of FSX I tend to use much either to be honest. Although failing the instruments seems to work fine (you can merrily fail as many as you like, or use the random component failures feature), I guess it wouldn't be advisable to use the default FSX failures for engines, flaps and so on as they're already taken care of by Accu-Sim.

I certainly agree that selectable Accu-Sim failures (such as being able to deliberately block the static port) would be good in future. But not just for P3D please! :wink:

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

chaders
Airman

Post by chaders »

What we need are virtual post-it notes ;-) I always kept a pack handy when instructing.
Best Regards,

Richard 'Chaders' Chadwick.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Using a custom texture a re-painter could have a custom cockpit to blank out gauges via painting them black for example would be a workaround for this.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Illi73
Staff Sergeant

Post by Illi73 »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Using a custom texture a re-painter could have a custom cockpit to blank out gauges via painting them black for example would be a workaround for this.

thanks,
Lewis
That's a good tip, Lewis. I accidentally messed this up once when doing a custom paint for myself. All of my gauges were 'empty'.

Another thing that might work for you (assuming you don't use IRView and don't want to look around in the cockpit all the time) is covering the gauges by an another 'view window'. You can e.g. zoom in to a dark spot on your plane, or seats, etc. so it doesn't contain too much of distracting graphics. Of course, if you move your camera view, then you also reveal (and hide) different areas.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

With more aircraft moving into flight schools, it may be inevitable we implement a system like this. This is another example of how commercial demands help home users and vice versa.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

William Hughes
Senior Airman

Post by William Hughes »

It would be very nice to have a realistic failure for a vacuum pump - the way it droops slowly to three inches, jumps back up to six, holds for a few hours, and then flops around a bit, before giving up altogether and slumping to zero, with a few once inch twitches before the very end.

It would be very nice to get a realistic failure of the AI, in that it slowly indicates a turn, rather than suddenly freezing.

I really use my flight sim to practice IFR approaches and it really helps a lot. Partial panel too. I actually stuck sticky notes to my monitor though...

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”