PROBLEM WITH A2A MANIFOLD PRESS ?

Find or share aviation knowledge
new reply
peyo
Airman Basic

PROBLEM WITH A2A MANIFOLD PRESS ?

Post by peyo »

Hi everyone, Hi accusim,

I didn't find any post about this: The manifold pressure gage works the opposite way on all my accusim airplanes (P47,p40, p51, Spitfire...).
In real life, when you pull the prop lever aft, to increase prop pitch, the manifold pressure (or boost) should increase slightly. When you learn to fly aircraft equiped with a constant pitch propeler, you learn to decrease the manifold pressure a bit more than wanted as it will then increase slightly when you pull the prop lever. I have to act the opposite way on my accusim crafts as when I increase the pitch, the manifold pressure decreases.
Is this any known problem ?

ps: sorry to show a problem on my first post, I am a big fan of all A2A/ accusim products.

Peyo.

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Re: PROBLEM WITH A2A MANIFOLD PRESS ?

Post by CAPFlyer »

There is no problem. That is the normal behavior of these engines. The Continental and/or Lycoming engines you learned on are very basic systems with the throttle directly commanding a normally-aspirated carburetor or mechanical fuel injection throttle body. These engines are all supercharged (at minimum) and have very complex carburetors which have automatic fuel metering and in the case of the P-51 also have automatic throttle positioning so that you are selecting a Manifold Pressure and not a throttle position.

Welcome to the world of advanced piston engines. :)

peyo
Airman Basic

Re: PROBLEM WITH A2A MANIFOLD PRESS ?

Post by peyo »

Wow. Thanks a lot. I need to buy a real p51 and check that ; )

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”