The Unducted Fan

Find or share aviation knowledge
new reply
ammorman
Airman

The Unducted Fan

Post by ammorman »

Hello all. This is my first post so go easy on me :wink: I was wondering if anyone has any other information on the Unducted Fan engine?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lip8lPWFLo
To invent an airplane is nothing. To build one is something. To fly is everything. — Otto Lilienthal

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Re: The Unducted Fan

Post by CAPFlyer »

It was a horrible failure. It was LOUD, it was a maintenance nightmare, it didn't save as much fuel as they wanted it to and when the fuel prices went down again, it was dead. However, Carbon Fiber technology, once developed more, allowed even better fuel efficiency with even more power produced per pound of engine with the GE90 actually burning less fuel per pound of thrust created than even the most fuel efficient turboprops.

ammorman
Airman

Post by ammorman »

Ok thank you. I saw it in my A&P turbine book but it didn't say too much about it. Now I know why...
To invent an airplane is nothing. To build one is something. To fly is everything. — Otto Lilienthal

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

It was an interesting concept, basically being an oversized turboprop, it just failed because they didn't realize how many problems building an aft-fan turbine would be woth the fan exposed. I think they thought they could use the experience from the aft-fan turbofan they developed for the CV-990 from the J79 and it would scale up without problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

ammorman
Airman

Post by ammorman »

It seems like the RPM of the fan would be one of the biggest issues. How did they control it? Was it just like a constant speed prop?

pilotgod
Senior Airman

Post by pilotgod »

System Specs:
Intel i7-2600 @ 4.3GHz, ASUS P8P67-Deluxe, 8GB DDR3-1600, ATI Radeon HD7770 (2GB), OCZ Vertex 250GB SSD (OS), Seagate 1TB HDD (Data)
FSX w/Acceleration and tons of add-ons.

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”