Technical Information (Aircraft, Engines, Weapons Systems)

Find or share aviation knowledge
new reply
McDonnell-Douglas
Senior Airman

Post by McDonnell-Douglas »

Hi Guys,
I am planning on doing several analyses into airpower subjects in the near future. I have no problem finding information on the majority of aircraft, engines and weapons systems from the Third Generation of Fighter Aircraft (1960's onward), this includes other types of aircraft. However finding information on aircraft between 1945 and 1960 can sometimes be very difficult. Indeed finding information on aircraft from 1903 to 1945 can prove problematic. Some aircraft are very well documented while others, particularly those aircraft that served on the losing side, are documented poorly and information is difficult to find.

Particularly I am trying to find technical information on propellers (propeller efficiency charts); I am looking to do a project on the development of aircraft propulsion partly because I can tie the findings into projects that look at particular aircraft and generations etc. In the future I may need information on weapons systems (radars etc.) that were present on aircraft 1945-1960.

A lot of the information is difficult to find and may indeed be impossible to come by, being destroyed. I am aware a lot of the information on Rotol propellers was destroyed in a flood, very annoying. In other cases information is destroyed because it is deemed useless by either the company or hands it has fallen into; the allies did a major burning exercise solely because of the cost of transporting all those paper records. Other information was lost during mergers etc. Lastly information I sometimes come accross seems pointless, they kept all the company minutes and random informational crap and threw away all the technical information :?

Regards,
Colin

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Have you tried http://ww2aircraft.net ? Sign in and you'll find information you may find useful, as well as people who might be able to help you find some of the source material you require.

McDonnell-Douglas
Senior Airman

Re: Technical Information (Aircraft, Engines, Weapons System

Thank You very much Jacques. When I come to starting the project I will sign in, ask a few questions, see what I can get and analyse the feasibility of the project upon the basis of the information I can access.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

MD,

+1 to Jaques suggestion. A good place to start and certainly some good contacts there. :wink:

Look up "Tony Hill" and his Spit project..hell of a nice guy :lol: :lol:
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

McDonnell-Douglas
Senior Airman

Will do.

I am looking to start a couple of projects as early as October, just finishing a current objective operational analysis of the Falklands Air Campaign at the moment. It is rather large as it covers many events, the background, an in depth look at the weapons systems, tactics and overall strategy and a critical analysis of operations - Successes and Failures.

@Killratio
I will give Tony Hill a look up. I have also got you too Darryl, a well regarded reference for many Spitfire related questions and mysteries :P So expect a few q's thrown your way.

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”