USAF Navigator Log Sheet

Find or share aviation knowledge
ThomasL
Airman

USAF Navigator Log Sheet

Post by ThomasL »

Hello guys,

While I was searching informations for early trans-atlantic ferry flights of bombers from U.S. to England, I came across an old navigator log sheet on this website.

So I made an almost-exact replication of it, for those of you who like to do the navigator's job like they did back then.

It's available as a PDF -> here <-

The original :

My version :

The font in the PDF should look almost exactly like the original document's font, at least it does on my Mac (built-in font). I don't know if the font has been incorporated in the PDF itself. If it's net, please let me know.

Thanks!

Thomas.
Last edited by ThomasL on 04 Apr 2013, 07:53, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas L. - Rookie Pilot & Navigator
B-17G & AccuSim fan.

Sundowner
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: USAF Navigator Log Sheet

Post by Sundowner »

Works ok on Windows, although, could you do it as two-page, instead of single one ?
Chris Oleksy
"I give that landing a 7 on the Richter scale."

ThomasL
Airman

Post by ThomasL »

Thanks for your feedback.

I've just uploaded a new version which is split on two pages. Indeed, that's much easier for printing it out ;-)

For those of you interested in the "double drift" technique, and in wind direction/velocity determination using a drift meter, here is an interesting document: USAF Air Navigation.

Thomas
B-17G & AccuSim fan.

Nico
Senior Airman

Post by Nico »

This is very useful! Thanks!

btw, did anyone get the drift meter for MSFS to work? Got the se.x.tant working, including map addon, but not the drift meter.

ThomasL
Airman

Post by ThomasL »

Yep, I have it working with the B-17G. Just install the gauge, and add a view pointing straight down in the aircraft.cfg.

Then, open the view in a sub-window, and overlay the drift meter gauge over the view. Does the trick :)

Thomas
B-17G & AccuSim fan.

Nico
Senior Airman

Post by Nico »

Thanks for the reply! Could you please provide the snippet from your aircraft.cfg? I'm not so good at this stuff. :wink:

MatsH
Airman First Class

Post by MatsH »

I have put together a nav log in the shape of an MS Excel worksheet that does much of the work of the E6B. I thought I was going to convert it to the appearance of the form shown above.

My worksheet also does my fuel calculation and it holds my flightplan. Does anybody know where to find an authentic USAAF WW2 era flightplan form?

If I'm satisfied with the result maybe I will share my work.

Googling gets all kinds of results but not really what I want.

Though I have found a couple of logs here:
http://555navigator.blogspot.se/2009_04_01_archive.html

I'd be very grateful for any help!

/Mats

MatsH
Airman First Class

Post by MatsH »

This is what I have collected this far, an AAF Form 21A-1 filled in by a 99th BG navigator on a mission to Regensburg.

A kind source posted these on another forum.http://forum.armyairforces.com/AAF-Form ... 23046.aspx

I also found the following page which has the same form by a B-24 navigator.
http://home.ionet.net/~heros/Bordenwww.htm

The text in the forms is as you can see a bit hard to make out and I have asked both sources for higher-resolution copies or help in text.

What I cannot work out by comparing or zooming in the pictures is:
-What date the form was approved? Top left corner of first page.

In the middle sheet:
- What are the sub-columns to "FUEL CONSUMPTION", "CELESTIAL DATA" and "RADIO BEARING WORK SHEET"

In the log part:
- What are the columns between "TIME" and "TEMP"?
- What's the column in between "AIR SPEED" and "WIND" with "RIGHT" and "LEFT" beneath it.
- Beneath "METEOROLOGICAL OBSERVATION" there are the columns "ABOVE PLANE" and "BELOW PLANE", what are the sub-columns?

If any of you guys have an example in your possesion, have better eyesight or knowledge than me, please help me out. I already have a combined flightplanning, E6B and nav-log sheet that is working quite well so the formulas and stuff is the easy part right now.

/Mats

chrishyde
Airman Basic

Post by chrishyde »

I noticed in the log book several entries marked METRO to indicate gthe source of the ground speed information. Anybody know what this was. I am assumng it wa some sort of drift sight but am not sure.

ThomasL
Airman

Post by ThomasL »

Wow, thanks a lot for all those resources MatsH!

For the date, it is Sept. 15, 1942.

Next, what I think I read:

FUEL CONSUMPTION
Total Gallons ???? ???? TIME RATE TIME REMAINING ???????

CELESTIAL DATA
OCT DRIFT ALT AI (probably all wrong.)

RADIO BEARING WORK SHEET
Station
Frequency
Time of Bearing
Indicated Relative Radio Bearing
Radio Compass Deviation
Corrected Radio Bearing 4->5
True Heading of Plane
True Bearing of station from Plane 6+7
Mercator Correction
Mercator Bearing Station from Plane 8~9
+-180deg
Mercator Bearing of Plane from Station

* North Latitude Plane East/West of Station Bearing/??? = ??? Latitude ???? East/West of ????? ???/?????

Next, for the log sheet, between TIME and TEMP:

TRUE COURSE
DRIFT CORR.
TRUE HEAD.
VAR
MAG HEAD
DEV-??? (The compass deviation)
COMP. HEAD.

Between AIR SPEED and WIND: it's "DRIFT"

For the meteorological part, it's really hard. Maybe "Force", then ????, then it's probably "ALT TOP" (altitude of the clouds tops).

/Thomas
Last edited by ThomasL on 29 May 2013, 12:54, edited 1 time in total.
B-17G & AccuSim fan.

ThomasL
Airman

Post by ThomasL »

chrishyde wrote:I noticed in the log book several entries marked METRO to indicate gthe source of the ground speed information. Anybody know what this was. I am assumng it wa some sort of drift sight but am not sure.
I think METRO was another term for Forecasts. Metro Winds = Forecast Winds. ;-)
B-17G & AccuSim fan.

ThomasL
Airman

Post by ThomasL »

MatsH wrote:I have put together a nav log in the shape of an MS Excel worksheet [...]
If I'm satisfied with the result maybe I will share my work.
Don't hesitate to share your work. Rare are the people interested in real navigation with these old warbirds!

Personally, I wrote a small C++ program to generate flight plans. I only enter the departure and destination coordinates, and it generates something like this:

PDF Flight Plan

For more informations: http://jade.libpthread.so/~thomas/aero/gcomp/

I also created some mercator plotting sheet to help navigating. I use them to plot my positions, and to draw celestial LOPs.
Available here: http://jade.libpthread.so/~thomas/aero/plot/

Navigating across the Atlantic in the B-17, with nothing else than your compass and your s.extant, is really thrilling. I managed to cross the North Atlantic, and am now working on crossing via the middle atlantic.

If you have any question, I'd be glad to answer!

Thanks,

Thomas
B-17G & AccuSim fan.

MatsH
Airman First Class

Post by MatsH »

I have contacted Ed Williams whose formulas I have borrowed for my work which is done. I am seeking his permission to share my Form 21. I will get back to you.

MatsH
Airman First Class

Post by MatsH »

I got permission from Ed Williams, the wind calculations are his work.

Use my logs and please give me tips and feedback on how to improve them or make them more realistic, while still keeping pilot workload down. My intent when I created the spreadsheet was to get a "navigator" that isn't as exact as the A2A "Shift-5-navigatior" and relies on input from me. Also I wanted to learn about dead reckoning, celestial navigation and pilotage. I am more or less self taught when it comes to both air navigation and Excel so my solutions might not be very classy or even correct. But please help me to improve them.

My (Macro enabled) Excel sheets:
P-51 version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ng2zc07ctrhxj ... 51%29.xlsm
B-17 version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7r17y8zms2xmf ... 17%29.xlsm

I use the sheets on my laptop that is next to my desktop on which I fly FSX. I use them together with Plan-G where I plot my progress and use the QDM tool to measure distances and courses between waypoints and fixes. My B-17 is equipped with a driftmeter as well as a s*xtant.

Notes: On pages 1-3.
Green shaded areas are inputs to the calculations.
Red shaded areas are results of calculations. This is input for you as you fly.
Blue shaded cells are preflight inputs regarding aircraft specific details.
Yellow shaded cells don't affect anything.
Enter wind speeds in knots! The formulas will convert them to mph! There are little k's to remind you of that.
Clear each page using the "CLEAR" button at the bottom of each page.

Instructions:
1. Create a flightplan in Plan-G, mark it and copy-paste into the red box on page 4: "PLAN-G FLIGHTPLAN", there's a maximum of 16 waypoints, the limitation was the original Form 21A documents. I even had to add positions for waypoints the same way a navigator had done on a real form: By adding waypoint lines in the "Weather (General Forecast)" section.

2. Remove the superscript "o" from the TCs so Excel can read the TCs as numbers.

3. Above the red Square you must now make some final adjustments to the flightplan. Select which waypoint is your target, you can have different altitudes/speeds/tngine settings to and from target. More on that later. Enter MagVar for each waypoint in the green column. Define weather zones by adding waypoints to zones 1-5. You do this by checking the boxes in the right-most part of the flightplan.

4. Go to page 1. Enter your flight details in the yellow shaded cells, if you want to. Add timings for at least take-off. Enter wind speeds (in knots!) and directions for your zones at the altitude you plan to cross the relevant zone. You will see drift compensation headings and ground speeds change as you do this.

5. Select your configuration in regards to bombload, tanks etc. Check the relevant boxes and edit blue shaded cells as needed. Climb distance time and fuel are derived from charts.

6. Enter your engine settings. I use a B-17F manual for reference.

7. Begin your flight and fill in the log on page 3 as you fly along. The log will calculate GS, WD, WCA etc for you. You can add a lot of position fixes in between waypoints here. I cannot get Plan-G to use statute miles and mph so I have added a nm-to-sm converter at the bottom of the log.

8. On page 2 you can do fuel calculations.

Sometimes I'm bang on when using my sheets, more often I end up a little left, right, short or overshoot my next waypoint. Sometimes I get lost. I usually make it back to base after finding my target.

Please feel free to ask questions, I'm aware that my instructions could be a little clearer.

Edit: The sheets are password protected to prevent inadvertent Changes to calculations. Password: form21

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

USAF Navigator Log Sheet

Post by Jacques »

MatsH,
That is amazing work you have done! I have downloaded and will give this a try in the coming week. I have one question though, I am having a very hard time bringing in both the drift-meter and the Bubble Secstant into either the B-17 or the B377, to which I would also like to add both items. Would you mind sharing your panel cfgs for both the drfitmeter and the secstant? Like you, Really want to learn and understand this form of navigation. Thanks for your hard work on this project!

JP

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”