Why did this landing go wrong?

Find or share aviation knowledge
seaniam81
Technical Sergeant

Why did this landing go wrong?

Post by seaniam81 »

We've all seen this video, but the guys at AVweb turn it into a lesson. And I thought I would share.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGAmpysnaxM[/youtube]

Did you yell GO AROUND too?

torwal8
Airman First Class

Re: Why did this landing go wrong?

Post by torwal8 »

GO AROUND!!! oh and now look, your airplane is stuck in the sea.

Chad Graves
Senior Airman
Location: About a mile from KUDD. With the All American Canal to my back.

Post by Chad Graves »

Still boggles my mind that he didn't go around. Show off. :roll:

seaniam81
Technical Sergeant

Post by seaniam81 »

Just in case you were wondering what the road sign said it's "You do not have the priority." hmm seems my highschool french teacher was right I will use french again. :o

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

I've really liked Paul's videos. He also does some stuff for the AOPA Aviation Safety Network that is really good too.

One thing he doesn't mention in the video, although it's not necessarily germane to the landing itself, but all pilots wanting to land at St. Barts have to do a specialized airfield checkout with an authorized instructor including several landings at the airport under dual instruction. There are other airfields that have the same requirement, so it's not unusual.

More info on the airfield is here - http://www.st-barths.com/en/saint-barth ... y-air.html

Icarus1976
Airman First Class

Post by Icarus1976 »

Holy cow!! :shock:

How or where do I find such airports in FSX!? Those must be a real challenge! PLease point me in their direction! There's gotta be a list or something. Maybe a carrier hidden somewhere would be nice too. The only carrier in FSX I have seen is the one for the carrier landing lesson for the F/A 18 and I have no clue where it is located.

Icarus
Check out my FSX videos here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/racefreak1976

guenseli
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by guenseli »

How or where do I find such airports in FSX!?

this is St.Barth! TFFJ

it is part of the brilliant scenery St Maarten!

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

That little bit of beach at the end does a nice job of stopping the plane, provided it isn't going that fast. And if you are, it's much better to roll on sand than roll into a hard obstacle. Well, it is good that this pilot has this on his record and nobody got hurt. He seems to be completely absent of any judgement. Sometimes this happens when a pilot learns to fly on a large runway and continues flying in and out of large places. Then he comes to a place like this and just has no awareness and lacks the decision making to make a go around since he has never had too before.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Scott is absolutely right...but I still tend to think Mr Darwin covered this type of thing admirably :)
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Chunk
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chunk »

Yes, he most definitely should have gone around. My Wife and I were there for our honeymoon last August, and the thrill of landing there in a Twin Otter was one of the highlights for me! What a beautiful island, and incredibly cool approach and airport. BTW, Fly Tampa's St. Maarten scenery for FSX is top notch, and nails what it really looks like. I've landed the Cub there numerous times, but that's child play. :wink:

Here's a video I took while I was there:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMRfLDO6plc[/youtube]

Icarus1976
Airman First Class

Post by Icarus1976 »

Chunk wrote:BTW, Fly Tampa's St. Maarten scenery for FSX is top notch, and nails what it really looks like. I've landed the Cub there numerous times, but that's child play. :wink:
Just tried the Cub on St. Barth (TFFJ) in the standard FSX scenery. :? It looks nothing like the one in the video. It's really crap, imho! There's not even a beach anywhere near the runway. :roll:
Guess I'm going to get the Fly Tampa addon scenery.

Speaking of addon scenery, I've got UTX for Europe and Africa. Can anyone recommend what I should get for the US of A, Canada and South America?

Icarus
Check out my FSX videos here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/racefreak1976

seaniam81
Technical Sergeant

Post by seaniam81 »

There is a UTX for Canada and USA

Nico
Senior Airman

Post by Nico »

I've tried it with the Cub. As in A2A Cub. With Fly Tampa scenery. Okay, nose down didn't work, neither did just cutting the throttle. That darn thing just didn't want to get down! Some daring slipping worked better, but I ended up in the middle of the runway with some 65 mph! :shock: The rest almost looked like the video, except that I was able to stop some 2 meters in front of the beach, instead of 2 meters behind it. :roll:

Next time I'll try a helicopter, let's see how this works out! :mrgreen:

I think I need practice. Lots of it! :wink:

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

I landed there in the P-40, good thing it sinks when you pull the power :mrgreen:
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

sprebound
Airman

Post by sprebound »

Both the C-27 and the C-130 can get in there without much stress...BETA helps a lot!

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”