Attention Dudley H. Real world flying question.

Find or share aviation knowledge
CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Re: Attention Dudley H. Real world flying question.

Post by CAPFlyer »

Icarus1976 wrote:Hey guys,

is it actually true, that with a license for ultralight aircraft you are allowed to fly a real Piper Cub? According to my information one can fly anything up to a weight of 750kg (1500lbs?) with this particular license. Since I am working at a small airport I have the opportunity to get such a license for about 1500 euros, which is very cheap. I'm sure you agree with me.
The reason why I'm asking is, because I thought I had seen a Piper Cub in their hangar. Not entirely sure though. I rarely get the chance of talking to these guys, since they're flying on weekends only.

Oh btw, I should probably mention, I'm in Germany.
I would so love to fly the Cub for real!! Please don't tell me I've been misinformed.

Icarus
In the US, with a Sport Pilot license you can fly a Legend Cub, but not a Piper Cub. I can't remember what the reason is, but there's something with the original Piper that disqualified it from being classed as a "Light Sport" aircraft.

Icarus1976
Airman First Class

Post by Icarus1976 »

Aww, that's really a shame! I've been expecting this kind of answer, however.
I'm still gonna go for the license anyway. Will have to wait another year, though.

Thanks for your replies, people.

Icarus
Check out my FSX videos here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/racefreak1976

seaniam81
Technical Sergeant

Post by seaniam81 »

Actually in Canada yes if you have an ultralight license you can fly a J-3 with it.

pjc747
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pjc747 »

CAPFlyer wrote:
Icarus1976 wrote:Hey guys,

is it actually true, that with a license for ultralight aircraft you are allowed to fly a real Piper Cub? According to my information one can fly anything up to a weight of 750kg (1500lbs?) with this particular license. Since I am working at a small airport I have the opportunity to get such a license for about 1500 euros, which is very cheap. I'm sure you agree with me.
The reason why I'm asking is, because I thought I had seen a Piper Cub in their hangar. Not entirely sure though. I rarely get the chance of talking to these guys, since they're flying on weekends only.

Oh btw, I should probably mention, I'm in Germany.
I would so love to fly the Cub for real!! Please don't tell me I've been misinformed.

Icarus
In the US, with a Sport Pilot license you can fly a Legend Cub, but not a Piper Cub. I can't remember what the reason is, but there's something with the original Piper that disqualified it from being classed as a "Light Sport" aircraft.
Actually, the J-3 Cub, according to the FAA, is a light-sport aircraft: http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/ligh ... Models.pdf

The difference is that a J-3 is a certified airplane, and therefore cannot be certified as a light sport, but can be flown as one. So if you were to make any changes to the plane, such as screw up the avionics and stuff (big mistake no question), you would need to use certified avionics rather than the experimental stuff, like the Dynon you see in a Remos or a fully experimental Van's.

Icarus1976
Airman First Class

Post by Icarus1976 »

Ok,

I checked on the web, (Wikipedia to be precise, we all know it's not always the best place if you need accurate info, but...) there it says, at least in the German version, you can upgrade that UL license to PPL-N, with 7hrs of flight and so on, which enables you to fly anything up to 750kg (including fuel). The L4 has a weight of approx. 345 kg (empty) shouldn't be much difference between the J3 and the L4, right?
EDIT: And according to the A2A model of the Cub, you have to be a complete idiot or fall asleep to crash this thing into the ground. (Not entirely sure if the latter will get you killed in a Cub :wink: )
See for yourself: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sportpilot ... tflugzeuge Unfortunately it's in German. :(

So, maybe I'm lucky! 8)

Icarus
Check out my FSX videos here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/racefreak1976

Rarebear

Post by Rarebear »

sounds like a bad shimmy damper, IF it has one. best talk to a mechanic that has experience with the aircraft. If you are relieving pressure from the nose and its going away it has to do with your nose wheel shimming. it could be caused by a series of things from lose bolts to shimmy dampers.

Rarebear

Post by Rarebear »

IF this is something NORMAL with this aircraft then I suggest smoothly lowering the nose. I know some cessnas would shimmy even with a good shimmy damper if the nose was dropped HARD, My 182 will do it if I land in pavement under 600 feet, it will shimmy for a bit before it drops the ground speed. I mean 600 ft goes by FAST lol. ive never had it shimmy in grass or gravel.

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”