Taxiing a Taildragger

Find or share aviation knowledge
new reply
René Artois
Airman

Taxiing a Taildragger

Post by René Artois »

Hello,

I have been flying the cub recently and decided to make it more challenging to fly and taxi by adding some crosswinds. I have been reading that tailwheel aircraft in the first place have very different taxiing characteristics because their CoG is behind the main gear and that makes them difficult to control (actually am still a bit confused as to why... something to do with moments???)

I have also read 'climb into a head wind, dive away from a tailwind' . I get that you want the stick full back to keep the tail planted on the ground and get effective control of the tailwheel but I am confused why you would want your stick forward taxiing in a tailwind?

Any insight is appreciated!

René

Rarebear
Staff Sergeant

Re: Taxiing a Taildragger

Post by Rarebear »

I have a tail wheel endorsement.

There are several things that screw up a tail dragger.

One is that the tires are producing resistance infront of the COG instead of Behind the COG. If you take a small block of wood and place a little piece of rubber on the front part and slide it across your table it will try to flip to where the rubber is DRAGGING like an anchor.

So one of the things is that the airplane is essentially trying to flip around. Remember momentum,force will always find the path of least resistance.

One more thing that can screw up the tailwheel characteristic is if it has less aft cg. For some reason I always have found that less aft weight creates a WAY more squirly aircraft or sensitive. I dont know if this is because the tail becomes so light or not. With more weight on the back Ive noticed it tracks better but can be more dangerous due to the weight swinging behind the mains. So like on rollout the weight tends to swing the aircraft. basically, you have to concentrate more on not ground looping it.

And the reason for the taxing position on the Elevator and ailerons is because when air flows across the surfaces in REVERSE is actually REVERSES the control input. So if the wind is coming from behind the craft then UP elevator will cause the tail to be raised and a subsequent prop strike is to be expected. same with the Ailerons.

You can look up the maneuver TAIL SLIDE and all control inputs are backwards and if you want the aircraft to flop to its back then forward elevator is needed to get it to fall on its back.

You might not notice a lot of squirling in the Cub. I have flown a Super Cub, It has soooo much rudder that its easy to over control rather than LAG behind the aircraft. and wheel landings are easy since it has so much rudder its easy to get it to track even in crosswinds.

Now FSX has some messed up stuff and I believe A2A has done the best they can with what they have.

Hope this helps.

JDW.

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

I can't add anything more than that the control input is universal for all types, not just taildraggers. You always put your controls into the headwind and away from the tailwind. This includes your ailerons, something that many forget and can result in them dragging a wingtip on takeoff. The ailerons are operated the same as the elevator, turn the yoke/stick into a quartering headwind and away from a quartering tailwind. As speed increases on takeoff, slowly reduce aileron input to keep the wings level and be ready to apply additional aileron into the wind on unstick because if one wheel lifts first, the crosswind will try to push the downwind wing down as the tire sidewall resists the sideways push. Some instructors will teach you to intentionally lift off with the upwind wing low (i.e. lifting the downwind landing gear first), but I don't like that myself simply because in theory it puts you in a position where the wing is even closer to the ground than it already is and thus gives you less "altitude" with which to react if something happens. This intentionally infringes the #1 rule of aviation - never be out of altitude, speed, and ideas at the same time.

Rarebear
Staff Sergeant

Post by Rarebear »

CAPFlyer wrote: Some instructors will teach you to intentionally lift off with the upwind wing low (i.e. lifting the downwind landing gear first), but I don't like that myself simply because in theory it puts you in a position where the wing is even closer to the ground than it already is and thus gives you less "altitude" with which to react if something happens. This intentionally infringes the #1 rule of aviation - never be out of altitude, speed, and ideas at the same time.
Ive never heard of an instructor teaching this on takeoff. seems that whichever instructor teaches that he needs to be taken back to flight school and re-learn his techniques.

However in LANDING this technique is a crucial part of landing especially in a taildragger. Any trycicle pilot that has not flown a tailwheel will say its not a big deal and that is only because they haven't had a tailwheel plane reach out and BITE a chunk off of their butt. (And ego)

Trycicle gears on crosswind landings are much more forgiving for two reasons but especially the first. The gear sits behind the COG therefore it drags the airplane into alignment, (BY NO MEANS IS IT A GOOD TECHNIQUE TO LAND WITH A CRAB ANGLE, IT UNNECESSARILY STRESSES THE TIRES AS IT PUTTS HUGE SIDE LOADS ON THE MAINS AND MAY EVEN CAUSE A TIRE TO SKIP THE RIM IF IT IS DONE HARD ENOUGH.) believe me.

Second. The angle of attack is lower so you're not having to fight a half flying wing. as soon as you touch down the angle reduces giving you a FIRM grip on the pavement or gravel.

Tailwheel on the other hand. If you land with a crab? get ready for some ground looping. Tailwheels are inherently worse at crosswinds. The angle of attack increases as you slow down therefore the wing wants to fly for a longer period of time and you don't have as much (GRIP) on the ground. (if your doing a wheel landing)

It is always suggested that on strong crosswinds one should land about 10 mph faster and usually with a mid flap setting. So say you have 40 degrees you'd land with 20 degrees. This gives you more forward speed and more control over the Rudder since your engine is coming to an idle you want as much air going over it.

It is also suggested to land with a 3 point landing to firmly put the tailwheel on the ground so you can have better tracking immediately this will also allow you to use MAXIMUM amount of braking without worrying as much about a nosing over. Now in Bush operations depending on the size of the rocks you might want to keep the tail high but tailwheels can brake VERY hard before you put it on the nose if your technique is proper.

Im my Humble opinion as a real world pilot. The wing dip on flare with a cross wind is an essential skill that EVERY pilot should MASTER. you are already landing and if you do it properly there is no reason to worry about being close to the ground. It is very hard to put a wing on the ground. and any pilot that refuses to master the skill I say stay home if there is anything over 5 mph wind. There are so many important things that happen during a proper crosswind technique landing that anyone who does not do it is simply not flying the aircraft correctly.

In my 182 you would have to INTENTIONALLY want to wreck the airplane before you put the wing on the ground. Same with pipers because of the gear. Most of GA aircraft are not designed to be landed at a crab angle except for a few ones like the ercoupe. 747s are.

JDW

René Artois
Airman

Post by René Artois »

Thank you guys, this is golden information. The great thing about FSX is that you can really put airplanes in extreme conditions without having to pay for the subsequent repairs. I can try to fly the cub in crosswinds gusting to 24 knots- now there's a challenge you wouldn't have to face in real life :)

René.

(Just noticed that If I did fly into a 24 knot headwind the approach speed in the cub would have to be 83 MPH which is 8 MPH more than the cruise speed of 75 MPH)

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

If you are flying an approach in a Cub at over 50 MPH, them you're making it too fast. You unnecessarily extend the landing roll and increase brake wear. I can't do it myself in sim, but I've seen Cubs landed with groundspeeds under 5 knots in even moderate winds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”