Book Recommendations

Find or share aviation knowledge
new reply
AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Book Recommendations

Post by AKar »

Let us discuss books! And more specifically, recommend some!

Please shall we keep them related to the aviation, but it is not necessary for them to be directly so. If you know a very good book of any field or subject you think is closely related to aviation, go ahead and suggest!

Only one further request. Please pick the category of the book from the following:
  • [Fiction]

[Memoir]

[Factual] - Anything that speaks of factual matters related to aviation, but is easily readable to general audience.

[Technical] - Anything that speaks of factual matters, but requires some in-depth knowledge of the subject or mathematics for example.

[Manual] - Self-explanatory; there is another thread for listing all the manuals you can find, this is not in general intended to be a thread to post manuals. But if you know some that are good enough for general aviation knowledge, feel free to post them also! :)

[Historical/Study], pick either or both as appropriate - Intended for historical books that study a history of a squadron from third perspective for instance, or of a given airplane type as another example, without going deep enough to fall into [Technical] category.

Let us also discuss and give opinions about books also, but please do not post those in the same post with recommendations, which I'd like to keep easily collectable should the thread take off.

Oh, and post a short description of the title too. And if it is hard to find, a link could do as well, but I wish to avoid them too much to not prefer any specific publisher, shop, or in particular, questionable uploads.

-Esa

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Book Recommendations

Post by AKar »

Let me start with an example (I've got some several more I'll post later!):

[Memoir]
Clostermann, Pierre
The Big Show

An excellent book of self-written memoirs by Free French Air Force pilot fighting in WWII. A must-have really, if you haven't read it already.

[Factual]
Rolls Royce
The Jet Engine

An excellent, easily-approachable, truly classic book about turbine engines. While it is easily readable likely by every technically-oriented layman, it doesn't insult those who want to get their more in-depth knowledge bored. Perhaps something to learn for those minds too here! :)

[Technical]
Phillips, Warren F.
Mechanics of Flight

Yet another excellent book about...well, you should guess it! About mechanics of flight. A comprehensive book holding in the most of to-go data about basic applications of physics to flight, with good factual accuracy. If one is interested about flight dynamics and such without getting too involved with the physical theories behind them, this is a very practical handbook kind of source. Requires some moderate skills with math and some knowledge about classical physics is assumed.

[Factual/Technical]
McLean, Doug
Understanding Aerodynamics

Perhaps the best book about aerodynamics related to flight I've read, putting some specific emphasis on dealing with various misunderstandings and false theories, pointing out more appropriate ones. Written by retired aeronautical engineer who's worked for Boeing I understand. While the general text is mostly quite easily readable, I warn though that he uses quite some of math that is fairly sticky even if not utterly advanced. I'd guess if you're fluent with your integrals & calculus, it won't be that bad!

Okay! Let's hear about some book recommendations! :) I'll post a couple of more later on.

-Esa

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

The best book for anyone that wants to really learn to safely fly. https://www.amazon.com/Stick-Rudder-Exp ... 0070362408
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

Oliver Branaschky
Senior Airman

Post by Oliver Branaschky »

[Memoir] [Factual]

Sullenberger, Chesley B. "Sully"

Highest Duty - Making a difference

"Sully's story is one of dedication, hope, and preparedness, revealing the important lessons he learned through his life, in his military service, and in his work as an airline pilot. It reminds us all that [...] there are values still worth fighting for -- that life's challenges can be met if we're ready for them."

Viele Grüße | Best regards,
Oliver

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Nice idea for a topic. :) Of course, it can't be complete without this one, though I'm sure most here are already rather familiar with it...

[Memoir/Factual]
Gann, Ernest. K
Fate is the Hunter

A gripping and moving account of the early days of commercial aviation told with both humbleness and humour.

[Memoir/Factual]
Bramson, Alan
Master Airman: A Biography of Air Vice-Marshall Donald Bennett CB, CBE, DSO

A more obscure recommendation and not exactly a catchy title, but nonetheless a interesting biography covering Don Bennett's early career, the Pathfinder Force and the tribulations of the BSAA days.

Cheers,
Nick

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

As Nick has already mentioned Fate is the Hunter, my memoir recommendation is Sagittarius Rising, by Cecil Lewis, a First World War fighter pilot.

Factual: Wings of the Weird and Wonderful, by Captain Eric 'Winkle' Brown RN. The late Captain Brown holds the record for the most types of aircraft flown by one man, and in this book he examines just a few of them ( fifty three, to be exact ).

Technical: Cant think of one I've read and would recommend. Tony Blackman's Vulcan Test Pilot got very technical at times, often to the point where I was completely baffled by it.

Historical: Sunburst: The Rise of Japanese Naval Air Power 1909-41, by the late Mark R. Peatie. Utterly superb from start to finish, and a pet interest of mine.

Study: Rolling Thunder: The Bombing of North Vietnam 1964-68 by John T. Smith. A contentious topic, but he addresses the military and political aspects objectively - I believe the book was based on his PhD thesis. His conclusions do not make for happy reading.

tamunoz
Airman

Post by tamunoz »

[quote="bobsk8"]The best book for anyone that wants to really learn to safely fly. https://www.amazon.com/Stick-Rudder-Exp ... 0070362408[/quote]

ABSOLUTELY AGREE.
Best Regards,
VPA437/91st 323rd BS
TOMAS Muñoz

Pentool
Airman Basic

Post by Pentool »

[Fiction]

Not many people know that the author of "The Little Prince", Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, was a pilot. He wrote several semi-autobiographical books about his days as a mail carrier in South America and Africa:

Wind, Sand and Stars
Night Flight
Flight to Arras
Southern Mail

He disappeared while on a reconnaissance mission in his P-38 Lightning in 1944. Incredibly, in 1998, a fisherman working on a trawler pulled up from the depths Saint-Exupéry's silver bracelet. In 2000, a diver found parts of a P-38 near where his bracelet was found. Pieces of the plane are now in the French Air and Space Museum in Le Bourget.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Book Recommendations

Post by Jacques »

The first three (Wind, sand and stars, Night Fligt and Flight to Arras) can sometimes be found in a trilogy titled, "Airman's Odyssey". Wind, Sand and Stars is my personal favorite - absolutely beautiful writing.
Thanks for bringing this to the forum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by Jacques on 06 Jun 2018, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Book Recommendations

Post by Jacques »

Disregard, somehow this empty post appeared while trying to edit above!

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

AKar wrote:Let us discuss books! And more specifically, recommend some!

Please shall we keep them related to the aviation, but it is not necessary for them to be directly so. If you know a very good book of any field or subject you think is closely related to aviation, go ahead and suggest!

Only one further request. Please pick the category of the book from the following:
  • [Fiction]

[Memoir]

[Factual] - Anything that speaks of factual matters related to aviation, but is easily readable to general audience.

[Technical] - Anything that speaks of factual matters, but requires some in-depth knowledge of the subject or mathematics for example.

[Manual] - Self-explanatory; there is another thread for listing all the manuals you can find, this is not in general intended to be a thread to post manuals. But if you know some that are good enough for general aviation knowledge, feel free to post them also! :)

[Historical/Study], pick either or both as appropriate - Intended for historical books that study a history of a squadron from third perspective for instance, or of a given airplane type as another example, without going deep enough to fall into [Technical] category.

Let us also discuss and give opinions about books also, but please do not post those in the same post with recommendations, which I'd like to keep easily collectable should the thread take off.

Oh, and post a short description of the title too. And if it is hard to find, a link could do as well, but I wish to avoid them too much to not prefer any specific publisher, shop, or in particular, questionable uploads.

-Esa
For "factual" I recommend Rod Machado's excellent books on aviation training. He covers all the technical stuff in plain simple language geared to the average intellect. I highly recommend his stuff to student and licensed
pilots as well.

On the technical side there is simply no substitute for "Aerodynamics For Naval Aviators". I've used this book all through my tenure as an instructor.

Dudley Henriques

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:For "factual" I recommend Rod Machado's excellent books on aviation training. He covers all the technical stuff in plain simple language geared to the average intellect. I highly recommend his stuff to student and licensed pilots as well.
I really like his writing style, I should get some of his publications again. Very easy reading, yet rigorous enough in points that need pointing. No doubt he is an excellent teacher in actual classroom.

I use the opportunity to bring up some more to the list. :)

[Factual]
Eckey, Bernard
Advanced Soaring Made Easy

For us who've got some love towards gliding, this is an excellent, easy reading book that often gives a feeling that yes - I need to try that next time I fly! It made nothing that easy to me, but many a-ha's followed from reading this one. A seriously useful guide to learn the subtle tricks of gliding.

[Manual]
Douglas, MDD, Boeing
LAMM Diagrams on any aircraft maintenance publication including some

Nowadays it is extremely difficult to find out clear, reliable, comprehensive and useful diagrams of aircraft systems that would be deep enough to remain descriptive, but readable enough to remain actually useful for daily problems. So called LAMM diagrams (after Mr. Lamm who apparently drew at least the first ones), sometimes exactly the same as System Schematic Manuals in Douglas, MDD and inherited Boeing products, are absolutely brilliant in every imaginable aspect. They are ultimate beauties in practical technical documentation in what comes to aircraft. How easy would it be if Airbus and Boeing did such good diagrams nowadays!

If you have the basic understanding of aircraft documentation system, and ever run into LAMM manual of a Douglas product that you happen to know at least in some superficial depth.... start browsing through it and you can almost visualize the thing coming alive in your head.

More to come! :)

-Esa

Slick09
Airman

Post by Slick09 »

Robert Piche - Hands of Destiny

This is the autobiography of Captain Robert Piche, who glided an Air Transat A330 some 70 miles after a double engine flameout to a safe landing in the Azores. There are some other very interesting stories in this book, including his attempted drug running flight from S. America to the US and the resulting prison stay.

Richard

MatsH
Airman First Class

Post by MatsH »

[Technical]
https://www.amazon.com/Long-Range-Fligh ... B001NHPPT0

I recommend Long Range Flight by Colin Hugh McIntosh.

It is a book published in 1944 and the author was chief navigator for American Airlines. It concerns methods of cruise control to promote better technique in long range flight.

McIntosh describes three methods of cruise control:
- Constant horsepower: Set your engines at cruising power and watch IAS increase as you become lighter.
- Constant IAS: Set your Engines at cruising power and throttle back as you get lighter to save fuel.
- Long range: Takes more factors into account: What is optimum altitude? What is the optimum power setting? Should you throttle back when you have a tailwind? Or throttle up against a headwind?

I think McIntosh explains all three methods very well and of course he advocates the last one for longer flights. He includes a sort of planning tutorial for a flight between Honolulu and San Fransisco using all Three methods.

What I note is that he encourages finding one good altitude and staying there unless changing altitude is significantly more efficient. I would have thought that step-climbing was a standard procedure.

I love the fact that the first page states: "This book was produced in full compliance with the government's regulations for conserving paper and other essential materials."

Included are also three forms of each: Flight Graph, Flight Plan, Navigator's Log and Flight Analysis.

I will try to adapt my own Self Calculating Nav Log to the layout of his forms and his methods, see the link below.
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 33&t=61102

/Mats

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”