Cub tail wheel

Born to fly
new reply
Hook
Master Sergeant

Cub tail wheel

Post by Hook »

Has the A2A Cub always had a free castoring tail wheel? My last flight was the first time I noticed it. It is interesting that I never had problems steering the Cub even when I first bought it. A2A did some very good things with the Cub.

Hook

Hook
Master Sergeant

Re: Cub tail wheel

Post by Hook »

Two weeks without a response.

The lack of a response doesn't bother me. What does concern me is the lack of participation in the Cub forum. The only time the A2A Cub is mentioned is when someone asks about P3Dv4.

Does this mean no one flies the Cub? Has *everyone* moved to P3Dv4? This is a really cool little airplane and I love flying it even if I don't fly it a lot these days. I once flew it from New Jersey to California duplicating the flight in "Flight of Passage".

Hook

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

The Cub was released around nine years ago I believe Hook, so it's perhaps inevitable that the forum has become a bit less active.

However, hopefully there will be a resurgence of interest when the Prepar3D v4 version is available.

As regards your question, I'm pretty sure that nothing has been changed in recent years with respect to the tailwheel behaviour.

Thanks,
Nick

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Thanks, Nick!
However, hopefully there will be a resurgence of interest when the Prepar3D v4 version is available.
News! And good news, too. When the Cub is updated I may have to upgrade to P3Dv4.

The discovery that the Cub had a free castoring tail wheel surprised me. I had never noticed before.

Hook

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

The cub tailwheel behaves like a fixed tailwheel for me. I would prefer it to behave as free castoring.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Oracle427 wrote:The cub tailwheel behaves like a fixed tailwheel for me. I would prefer it to behave as free castoring.
Same here. I don’t know if the J3 has a free castoring tail wheel in real life but the PA-18 sure does. An der the A2A one feels very much not free castoring.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

That is interesting. I know the tail wheel doesn't seem to follow the rudder, but I don't have a problem getting the Cub to turn on the ground. I seem to remember that at one time it helped to push the stick forward a bit to ease weight off the tail to help in a turn. Maybe I'm just so used to adding some throttle in a turn that the tail wheel is indeed fixed and I didn't realize it. It sure felt like free castoring on that last flight.

Hook

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”